• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie Timeshare recommendation

glwrenton

TUG Member
Reaction score
Purchase option

Another good option is to purchase an EOY (every other year.) That way, you can get into a resort, and have access to exchanges with less commitment. The fees for non use years are usually minimal. For example, HGVC chagres only a membership fee for these years, about $120. For use years, you pay your MF, and the membership fees.

I just bought into Hilton. I have enough point every other year for a 2 BR unit for a week, or I can split it to several smaller pieces.

So I have the option of 1 week in Hawaii, or 2 long weekends in Las Vegas.
Good Luck!

rebel

TUG Member
Reaction score
First it sounds like you made the right decison and will only by resale. We own both Hilton and Wyndham and like them both. They both have positive points. I like Hilton a little better. If you are looking for five star Hilton works. Wyndham is five star if you book thier Presidential suites. But the normal Wyndham is three stars but with good kids activities. Also Wyndham has a lot of resorts so you if at some point you need to drive you can find good options. My advice would be to buy Wyndham points because you can buy them at nearly no cost resale.

the_truth

Reaction score
The truth is that the tables have turned and it is just a lot easier to rent rather than own. Even if you buy on the resale market for a penny or a dollar or even a thousand bucks you are locked into the fees forever. Would you give anyone a stack of blank, unsigned checks? That's what your doing when you buy a timeshare.
And when you run out of points, go to the front desk (preferred access side) with your owners bag and they will restock them for you.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Hilton and Marriott are on the strip at/near Flamingo & LVB. The Wyndham is at Harmon & Koval. Note that I've lived in LV for over 30 years, so I'm framiliar with the area.

The same on Oahu, the Hilton HV is on the beach, where-as Wyndham and the other TS's (excluding MVC & DVC) are several blocks across Kalakaua Ave. I'm in Hawaii, I want to be on the beach, which is why I bought a Marriott for Ko Olina & I'll buy a Hilton for HHV.

On Maui you can't beat the "location" or quality of the Marriott & Starwood TS's.

1. Do resale Wyndhams cost less than the big three or DVC, yes.
2. Are the MF's less than the big three & DVC, yes.
3. Are the big three usually located in better locations (relative to that city), yes.
4. Do the big three usaully offer more/better amenities and are they in a higher star rating, yes.
5. Do I prefer Marriott and Hilton over Wyndham and Comfort Inn, yes. When I travel & don't use a TS, I stay @ Hiltons and Marriotts, so I'm biased.
6. Is Wyndham and Comfort Inn a better value for the money, probably, but it's all relative because if I save a few dollars but wish I was at the Marriott or Hilton what value is that?

But you are missing a big part of that equation which is that Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood, while relatively higher in quality, are all extremely limited in their locations. True, they are usually right on the strip or beach or whatever. But how many times can I go to Orlando, Hawaii and Vegas, even if I am staying at the Hilton? (not to mention the fact that yes, the aging Flamingo TS is on the strip - in a congested area. The other 2 LVNV Hiltons are WAY off the main part of the strip - a lot further than Harmon and Koval is!). Starwood shakes it up a little by having Mexico, Nassau and St John, and Ski country. Hyatt is similarly very limited in locations although good for Key West, Ditto for Marriott which has a lock on Hilton Head but not much else of distinction. Do you see a pattern here?

The fact is that you can buy additional points in Wyndham very cheaply on the resale market and book Presidential Suites, which it sounds like you have no experience with. I think that the Wyndham is a great value. The Presidential Suites are exactly comparable to the Marriott, Hilton and Starwood units I have stayed in. (I have not stayed at a Hyatt - so I can't speak to their quality.)

Plus the sheer volume of locations and the fact that many of the Wyndham resorts have 3 and 4 bedroom units (Presidential or regular) makes Wyndham an all around versatile winner to me.

Bottom line is that if you buy enough Wyndham points to book Presidential units (and pay the MF that goes with it, which would be comparable to the MF of the Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton/Starwood TS's) your quality argument is pretty much moot. And if you've never stayed at a Wyndham TS and are assuming the quality based on the Hotels, how would you ever know without seeing with your own eyes?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Where is the "Like" button when u need it? :clap:

But you are missing a big part of that equation which is that Hyatt, Hilton and Starwood, while relatively higher in quality, are all extremely limited in their locations. True, they are usually right on the strip or beach or whatever. But how many times can I go to Orlando, Hawaii and Vegas, even if I am staying at the Hilton? (not to mention the fact that yes, the aging Flamingo TS is on the strip - in a congested area. The other 2 LVNV Hiltons are WAY off the main part of the strip - a lot further than Harmon and Koval is!). Starwood shakes it up a little by having Mexico, Nassau and St John, and Ski country. Hyatt is similarly very limited in locations although good for Key West, Ditto for Marriott which has a lock on Hilton Head but not much else of distinction. Do you see a pattern here?

The fact is that you can buy additional points in Wyndham very cheaply on the resale market and book Presidential Suites, which it sounds like you have no experience with. I think that the Wyndham is a great value. The Presidential Suites are exactly comparable to the Marriott, Hilton and Starwood units I have stayed in. (I have not stayed at a Hyatt - so I can't speak to their quality.)

Plus the sheer volume of locations and the fact that many of the Wyndham resorts have 3 and 4 bedroom units (Presidential or regular) makes Wyndham an all around versatile winner to me.

Bottom line is that if you buy enough Wyndham points to book Presidential units (and pay the MF that goes with it, which would be comparable to the MF of the Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton/Starwood TS's) your quality argument is pretty much moot. And if you've never stayed at a Wyndham TS and are assuming the quality based on the Hotels, how would you ever know without seeing with your own eyes?

standersinger

Reaction score
Timeshare for sale in Kissimmee

I am new to this site, but wanted to let anyone/everyone know, that I do have a NEW timeshare that I purchased in June 2010, and am looking to either sell or rent.

At the time, it seemed like a GREAT deal and it really was, but do to circumstances out of my control, I am hoping to sell, but would be very open to renting it. Unfortunately, I have never been able to use it.
I fell victim to the Timeshare Resale scam and am now resorting to this site, attempting to sell on my own.

I do have a loan on it, but honestly, I am not looking to get rich over this deal. Just looking to not lose any more money.

Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
use the marketplace to advertise your properties for sale or rent, vs posting ads on the forums..thanks.

walleyejason

TUG Member
Reaction score

So if I understand you correctly, you think Wyndham is suited well for a first time buyer?

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad and hard truth is

You are going to need to pay this off in order to be able to Give it away. We are in a period where even the best timeshares are selling for .10-.15 on the dollar, and most are selling for next to nothing.
Get the idea out of your mind that you are going to come out whole or even close to whole. The money was lost when you bought, now you are just trying to avoid the ongoing costs. My 1st real estate broker described an unused property like yours as an Alligator, always needing to be feed and not producing anything usable.

Greg

I am new to this site, but wanted to let anyone/everyone know, that I do have a NEW timeshare that I purchased in June 2010, and am looking to either sell or rent.

At the time, it seemed like a GREAT deal and it really was, but do to circumstances out of my control, I am hoping to sell, but would be very open to renting it. Unfortunately, I have never been able to use it.
I fell victim to the Timeshare Resale scam and am now resorting to this site, attempting to sell on my own.

I do have a loan on it, but honestly, I am not looking to get rich over this deal. Just looking to not lose any more money.

Lynn

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So if I understand you correctly, you think Wyndham is suited well for a first time buyer?

Yes, it has a lot of locations and room sizes. The points are points theory pretty much holds true unless you absolutely must vacation in a high demand area that requires ARP every single year. This is one of the first timeshares that I bought and I like it very much. It's easy to use the online reservation system, and it's fairly straightforward with a short learning curve. I think it is a great system for a first timer assuming they can get the points for next to nothing.