• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie questions

Tfelts

Reaction score
Hi,

My wife and I are looking to get a timeshare in the very near future. I had a question about RCI. If we purchase a timeshare at a resort that is in the RCI directory but it is not being traded via RCI currently is there any fee to get started with RCI besides the yearly membership? I could ask RCI but figured all the knowledge was here.

Does anyone know the point value for Vacation Village at Bonaventure for week 27 (July 4th week I believe). It is a 2BR lockout that sleeps 8.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

Tfelts

Reaction score
I have some follow-up questions/comments. I was able to chat online with RCI. It sounds like this unit would be in the 'weeks' program.

What is involved in converting it to points?

Typically week 27 would be good for us but 2017 my son has a commitment that week so I asked what the Trading Power would be...I was told ~19. Is this low or typical for this property time? Would we be able to find a 2BR week 30-31 either in Florida or the outer banks for 2017 with 19 TPU's?

Would the TPU's be higher if I deposited earlier? (thinking ahead)...what is the max TPU for this property?

Anything would be appreciated...we are new to timeshares and trying to figure it all out...

Thanks,
Tim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG!

Would suggest answering the questions in the sticky post up top before you focus on a single timeshare to start, you might find that another system far better suits your needs!

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have some follow-up questions/comments. I was able to chat online with RCI. It sounds like this unit would be in the 'weeks' program.

What is involved in converting it to points?

Typically week 27 would be good for us but 2017 my son has a commitment that week so I asked what the Trading Power would be...I was told ~19. Is this low or typical for this property time? Would we be able to find a 2BR week 30-31 either in Florida or the outer banks for 2017 with 19 TPU's?

Would the TPU's be higher if I deposited earlier? (thinking ahead)...what is the max TPU for this property?

Anything would be appreciated...we are new to timeshares and trying to figure it all out...

Brian has offered some good advice above. I respectfully suggest doing lots more homework before considering buying anything, but to specifically address just one question you've asked , if the resort at issue is in RCI Points (I do not claim to know the named facility), then you would have to pony up (...to the resort, not to RCI) somewhere between $2.5k --$5k to "convert" a fixed week to RCI Points; an expensive route to RCI Points which is neither wise nor cost effective.

If, after doing more homework, you later decide that what you really want is RCI Points (...a very different animal from the TPU's assigned by RCI to fixed weeks, as I think you now know), then you can surely find a RCI Points ownership for peanuts in the resale market, already converted. An evaluation criterion, wherever the RCI Points may be, is the "ratio" between the maintenance fees and the assigned number of points. That being said, availability still rules over all else --- merely having sufficient points provides absolutely no guarantee that you will actually find available space where or when or in the unit size that you seek.

Put the checkbook away for now. Study up, then study up more. After building up a knowledge base, then (and only then) maybe consider buying. A resale market acquisition is almost always easy and cheap and readily available --- annual maintenance fees are forever. Proceed slowly and judiciously to clearly identify to yourself and fully understand what would actually work best for you before purchasing any form or flavor of interval ownership. Good luck.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can learn a lot by just spending some HOURS reading TUG. Week 27 is sometimes July 4th week ... but other years, it is Week 26.

RCI Points is nice but since TPUs have been created .. not as unique.

I have Week 26 & Week 27 units at one resort ... While some weeks at the resort are converted to RCI Points, the other units (unconverted weeks) are still in the RCI weeks system. BUT ... the RCI weeks (at this resort), can also be deposited into II (International Interval) and VRI (another trading company) ... but the RCI Points weeks CAN NOT. But RCI Points has is own sets of benefits.

Lockoffs are good .. as you pay one MFs but get 2 deposits for trading in an exchange system.

Lots to learn ... buy in haste and repent way longer.