• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New TUG Classified Ad Beta program!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Carol C said:
...including Nigerian spammers and their emulators. So, how is the new improved classified ad system going to keep those trolls out? Sounds to me like you're linking the bbs straight to classifieds, so it will be even easier for those trolls to grab up all the email addies they want. I've already had a perfectly good email addy become a spam garbage pit due to placing an ad on TUG's classified page. :annoyed:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm more disinclined than ever to place classifieds on TUG. I hate spam even more than telemarketing phone calls, so I'm a hard sell on your new system, sorry to say. Please convince me everything will be new and improved...spam-wise!

Actually...it will be exactly the opposite.

In the existing legacy program...your email is out in the open for anyone and everyone to see.

In the new program...it isnt...and one must click either your username or "contact seller" in order to obtain contact information (unless you put it in the description...and I cant control your actions there).

This prevents most farming programs from just going through website content and "picking" out email addresses to use in spam campaigns that most of you seem to become involved in when posting your ad on the legacy system.

So if anything, you should see a significant decrease in SPAM email in regards to the old vs the new system.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
TUG Improvements! said:
Actually...it will be exactly the opposite.

In the existing legacy program...your email is out in the open for anyone and everyone to see.

In the new program...it isnt...and one must click either your username or "contact seller" in order to obtain contact information (unless you put it in the description...and I cant control your actions there).

This prevents most farming programs from just going through website content and "picking" out email addresses to use in spam campaigns that most of you seem to become involved in when posting your ad on the legacy system.

So if anything, you should see a significant decrease in SPAM email in regards to the old vs the new system.

Superb! Thanks for the clarification! Where do I sign up? :whoopie:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ads are still free while we test things out....click the link on the first post in this thread to go get yer free ads in! =)

Jim&Martha

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not know what this meant:

To help users find your ad, please enter a few (up to 10) descriptive keywords (separated by spaces):

Perhaps a bit more on the explanation of what is needed here, for those of us not quite as savvy.

Also, it would help if we could tweak our adds (once submitted) without having to wait for the approval each time. There is my feedback, as requested. Other than those 2 points, it worked well for me and was easy. Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Jim&Martha said:
I did not know what this meant:

To help users find your ad, please enter a few (up to 10) descriptive keywords (separated by spaces):

Perhaps a bit more on the explanation of what is needed here, for those of us not quite as savvy.

no problem, basically keywords are used to facilitate searches.

for example...if I am a potential buyer/renter...and I know I want a Marriott resort in Cancun etc.

Ill search for "Marriott Cancun" (that is if I dont just go to the mexico section etc.

So adding keywords like "Marriott, Royal, RCI, Cancun, Beachfront, Ocean View, etc etc" allows people searching for something to more easily find your ad.

Hopefully I explained this well =)

Also, it would help if we could tweak our adds (once submitted) without having to wait for the approval each time. There is my feedback, as requested. Other than those 2 points, it worked well for me and was easy. Thanks!

I am not sure we are going to allow the editing of ads without approval...but let me think about it a bit more!

mamiecarter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The same form to ist Rent as sell?

There should be a separate form to list a sale ad and a rent add. I got the same form for both. I just went ahead and used the sale form and it worked but it was confusing.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
they both use the same template...and use 99% of the same information...you also have to choose what section you are placing your ad in before you place it...by means of a dropdown box that either says Timeshares for SALE or Timeshares for RENT.

jannainnc

TUG Member
Reaction score
editing/tweaking ads

I have an ad running that I'd like to change the header/subject to be more descriptive, lower the price and add a picture. Should I resubmit a whole new ad and delete the old?
question, is there a way to zero in on ads running in a particularly broad category to look for "ski" or "oceanfront", etc.?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Time2Ponder said:
I think you meant "column title"? Anyway, that's one thing I really miss. I like to alphabetize by resort, and can't do that with this program.

Kim

Sorry i missed the first comment here....but you most certainly can do this.

Click the "sort by" box and choose PRODUCT TITLE

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
When does this go public?

How long before everyone, not just TUG members can use this add format?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
good question....probably not much longer.

why..yall tired of it being free already =)

Chari910

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I finished filling out everything and click 'continue', everything went blank and the message said 'You do not have access to this function' or something like that. :bawl:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well it went through...im not sure why some of you are getting that message upon completion..

I just approved it.

mamiecarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
sort the adds?

Now that there are more adds listed there needs to be a way to sort them by week, price, resort, state or something like that. When it gets to 200 adds in a category the current cronilogical order of posting system will not work.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
click the "sort by" dropdown box in the top right hand corner...you can sort by title, price, etc etc.

cathyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
classified "beta" program

I cannot always link to the "beta" classifieds. Are they just on at certain times through the day?
Thanks
cathyv

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
no..its on all the time..its integrated into the BBS.

however you do always have to be logged in to view it.

MLC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Placed an add

How long does it take when you post the add for it to show up in you listings. I have posted several weeks to rent. I went to the section on rentals and when I started placing an add some of the questions were in regards to selling the timeshare not renting, for example how much are you selling and MF. Take care and I thought every thing else was very easy. Marty

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
usually within the day.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
help i am tryin to find a room to rent [details removed] for week #1 about the 7th of january to the 12th or anytime around there

PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've deleted the details of your request since advertising, including want-to-rent advertising, is not permitted in the TUG BBS forum.

Since you are not shown as a member of TUG, you cannot access the developmental ad system being discussed in this thread. If you really ARE a member of TUG, please see this thread:
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53

The current ad system, which you CAN access, can be reached via the Classified Ads link in the red bar at the top of all bbs pages.

Also, since you are looking for something in the very near future, you might have some luck in the Last Minute Rental forums here. If nothing is being offered in the Rentals Offered sub-forum, you can place a request in the Rentals Wanted sub-forum.

Last edited:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
The new URL does away with the 'c_ads' directory, so those folks whose ad-blockers prevented the display of links to the new system due to 'ads' being part of the address should no longer have this problem.

IF YOU HAVE SAVED A LINK TO THE BETA AD SYSTEM as a favorite/bookmark, please update it to the new address:
http://www.tugbbs.com/class/index.php

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
bump since this thread is about to get real popular again!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
finally fixed the expiration issue...cleared out a ton of expired ads!

most excellent...only one item left to fix!