• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New TS Owner with q's

ivayron

Reaction score
So, I sure wish I had gotten on this site earlier, BUT we bought a retail HGVC timeshare recently and we are honestly thrilled. Ya, we paid too much, but we didn't get a huge amount of points etc. so I don't feel awful...just bad.

To the point, we want to add to our points, but now I'm wondering if I would be better off branching out. We'll definitely buy resale this time, but should I stick with HGVC and add points there? We really bought with RCI points in mind to use at Disney resorts - is there a better option? I've been watching ebay for weeks now trying to educate myself on what is a good resale deal- any tips?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't give you a lot of tips, only sympathy. Don't feel too bad about your retail purchase. Lots of TUGgers have started that way, so you are among friends.

I may be off base, but I feel- and the general TUG wisdom is- that you buy where you want to use. So if you want to go to Disney, buy DVC. Yes, you can exchange there using RCI points, but there are many less expensive points than HDVC. So be it, what's done is done. HGVC has a nice number of superior resorts, so maybe it would be best to concentrate on what you have.

Perhaps if you post in the HGVC forum as a newbie, those who fully know and understand that system can offer guidance. There may also be someone who wants to make just such a newbie a heckuva deal to lighten their own TS portfolio. You never know.

Best wishes, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your HGVC points are in Orlando

you will be restricted trading into any other resort ( besides the other club resorts) in the Orlando area, these means that you will not be able to use this purchase to DVC resorts.

On the other RCI points resorts, a general rule is around .01 per point per year, you can buy RCI points for next to nothing. You will need to pay RCI for another points account and all the associated costs related to trading.

Greg

So, I sure wish I had gotten on this site earlier, BUT we bought a retail HGVC timeshare recently and we are honestly thrilled. Ya, we paid too much, but we didn't get a huge amount of points etc. so I don't feel awful...just bad.

To the point, we want to add to our points, but now I'm wondering if I would be better off branching out. We'll definitely buy resale this time, but should I stick with HGVC and add points there? We really bought with RCI points in mind to use at Disney resorts - is there a better option? I've been watching ebay for weeks now trying to educate myself on what is a good resale deal- any tips?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
you will be restricted trading into any other resort ( besides the other club resorts) in the Orlando area, these means that you will not be able to use this purchase to DVC resorts.

i think HGVC points trade as a group, not based on the individual resort. used to be that way anyway, that they got around the regional block.

Rob&Carol Q

Reaction score
Well, not wanting to rub it in but Welcome to the "Retail Buyers Remorse" Club! :cheer:

I've been a member of this fine club for almost 15 years now...:shrug:

After some intensive group therapy, I'm doing alot better!

Seriously, the best advice I can give is for you to acknowledge that the wave has crashed ashore...there is nothing you can do about your purchase other than to learn what it takes to get the fullest(?) amount of enjoyment you can. Oh, and keep your Maintenance Fees up to date.

For now? Read and learn. Ask questions. There is no rush for you to add to your point totals, nobody here is seeing any great surge in resale prices coming in the next few years so you have plenty of time. You might want to confirm that HGVC is the group you want to be with. Trading within a resort system is typically better than trading without.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
You are not blocked into DVC even if you own in Orlando thru HGVC. The regional block does not apply when you trade thru the portal and there are some decent DVC deals thru the portal so an occasional trade into DVC will cost you roughly 2400 for a studio, 3400 for a 1 bedroom and 4800 for a 2 bedroom. If you're lucky enough to get a grand villa it's 5800. I've not noticed any seasonal fluctuations in the portal. Seems to be red all year but still might be a good deal for DVC.

Take your time and read up on the other systems that may interest you. RCI points can also be a good deal into DVC but then you would need to purchase outside of Orlando or you'll run into the regional block issue again. If DVC left RCI you'd want to own something that would be useful to you in other ways so pay attention to the collection of resorts in each mini-system that you study.

Welcome to the HGVC family. :hi: You may just find that those Orlando resorts that seem to always be available year round in off season, are a better perk than you're expecting. I've used open season in Orlando more than I've used my DVC points to visit Mickey. :D