• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to group- Resale to VIP Success

36willb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I was recently at an update presentation in Atlantic City. I have approximately 500,000 in resale points. The salesman offered to give me VIP Gold eligible with all resale points; if I purchased a Bonnett Creek property. They even agreed to put it all in writing with a guarantee. Has anyone been successful converting resale to VIP with developer purchase? The property costs about $16,000.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Permanent Gold VIP status would the required provision you would want to see in writing. I suspect that it would only be some temporary grant of bonus pts to give you temporary VIP status. Because the numbers don't line out.

700k is the threshold for Gold VIP. A purchase of $16k, would seem to be for 84k annual pts. 500k + 84k pts leaves you short of the permanent 700k threshold. Perhaps with a a PIC or two closes the gap. But even then it seems unlikely.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are your 500k Points deeded?

I know several folks here(me included) that had Pahio deeds converted to points that count toward VIP with a small purchase.

I also know of apparent "mistakes" where resale contracts counted toward VIP. Maybe the salesman knows how to code a contract to force such a mistake

It's also possible that the $16000 is a downpayment on a $160000 purchase (700000 points)

Or maybe the salesman thinks you won't notice when temporary VIP status goes away in a few years

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sales weasels will say anything to get into your pockets.

36willb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Thank you for the replies. Yes, it's deeded but has no homesite attached. I purchased the resale around 2009. It was grandfathered in.

I'm purchasing a foreclosure, approximately 105,000 odd year plus 245,000 bonus points for 24 months. Maintenance fees are approximately $35.50 per month.

It states all points are VIP eligible and Permanent VIP Gold. I'm just a little skeptical. Especially after reading all the different forums and post.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
The 245k points are what they are calling bonus points. Even if they rolled in your resale to count towards VIP status, gold would not last past those two years because your 105k contract would not keep you in Gold status. You'd only be left with 605k points every other odd year and that won't get you to Gold. I'd be interested to see what written guarantee they give you. I have never heard of them counting resale towards VIP status. Only that they allow you to use those points on discounted reservations if you have VIP already. So the sales guy may tell you that they are treated as VIP, but he is referring to being able to use them with reservations. They are not counted towards VIP status. Says so right in the Owners directory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Yes, it's deeded but has no homesite attached. I purchased the resale around 2009. It was grandfathered in.

I'm purchasing a foreclosure, approximately 105,000 odd year plus 245,000 bonus points for 24 months. Maintenance fees are approximately $35.50 per month.

It states all points are VIP eligible and Permanent VIP Gold. I'm just a little skeptical. Especially after reading all the different forums and post.

If it's deeded it is deeded at some resort if dosent have a home resort than it's not deeded and it's Club Wyndham access. I don't know exactly when CWA became a thing but I thought after 2009.

When you say "grandfathered in". What does that mean. The old gold level was 500000 points now it's 700000 I know that I was silver VIP when the silver level went from 300000 to 400000. I owned 385000 points and was "grandfathered" meaning I maintained the silver benefits

36willb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I was told by the salesman all 500k points would be grandfathered in as VIP gold vs Silver. Based on when I purchased the timeshare.The account is Club Wyndham Access.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
What says "Permanent VIP Gold" - the sales contract you will be signing or the term/offer sheet where it shows the pricing info? Since the Club guide clearly outline that resale pts are not eligible for VIP status, you would want the permanent grant of VIP Gold status to be in the sales contract you and Club Wyndham signs.

It is true that the pts you are purchasing and the bonus pts you receive are VIP eligible. And Ron has previously reported that he has purchased resale contracts that mysteriously retained VIP status. It just becomes a question of your willingness to risk $18k to obtain it.

If 24 months down the road you reverted back to non-VIP, anything they told you is worthless. At that point, only what you have in clear writing will be important.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
make sure its in writing!

anything the salesman tells you verbally isnt worth anything!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here are the provisions of Club guide that Wyndham would point to if your VIP status disappeared:

Points from resale contracts do not count toward VIP status and are not eligible for VIP benefits.

On November 1, 2012 the point levels to become a VIP member increased. If you were a VIP member previous to November 1 your VIP status has been grandfathered in to the current levels based on the amount of grandfathered eligible points owned. View the current grandfather eligibility rules.

Upgrading your membership (to reach the next VIP Level): If you are Grandfathered at a VIP level and you trade or purchase an additional contract on or after November 1, 2012, you will need to purchase enough points to reach the next current VIP Points Level. For example, if you have 350,000 points, you will need to purchase at least an additional 350,000 points to reach the next VIP Level (Gold). If you do not meet the minimum points required for the next level of VIP, you will remain Grandfathered at your current level. Upgrading your membership will never result in a loss of your Grandfathered VIP status.

So even if you were "grandfathered" in on your resale pts, even a grandfathered acct needs to have 700k to become Gold VIP. You either are
1) very lucky to find a sales person who can circumvent all the rules
2) working with a completely uniformed sales person who will claim ignorance
3) being conned

36willb

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Thank you for this information.

md8287

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba, Harborside Atlantis & Westin Lagunamar
I agree with all those that said the math didn't add up to Gold level, BUT if the math, with the new purchase, did add up to 700,000 points then yes I am 95% certain they can convert your "resale" points into "developer" points with a smaller developer purchase.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Get it in writing. I had mine in writing even though most of mine were fixed weeks converted, 3 of which were resales, I had it written into my contract. When they tried to take away my VIP status when they stopped allowing resales to count, about 5 years ago, I had my VIP reinstated because I had it on my contract.