• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Sheraton Flex Owner!! I'm having buyers remorse!

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Tug Gurus. A possible teaching moment for the OP, myself, and others. The OP signed a contract in Myrtle Beach, SC. She and her husband purchased a timeshare in Florida. Which rescission period takes precedence? SC is 5 days. FL is 10 days. Thanks for your responses.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Oh Tug Gurus. A possible teaching moment for the OP, myself, and others. The OP signed a contract in Myrtle Beach, SC. She and her husband purchased a timeshare in Florida. Which rescission period takes precedence? SC is 5 days. FL is 10 days. Thanks for your responses.

For VSE - the rescission period that is listed in the contract is the correct time (I cannot speak for other TS systems and their ability to align with state laws). As VSE is a large corporation and have a large Legal Dept - you can be assured that the time period to rescind is stated in the contract that was signed by the purchaser (along with a info on recession). Every SVO/VSE contract I have seen has this rescission info stated somewhere (the TS salesperson is unlikely going to show you the recession period or method w/o being asked - and perhaps even then...)

Unfortunately, many sign this contract w/o understanding the contents, and buy these VOIs without first performing minimal research. Because if they did, then they would find TUG and rescind. Luckily this is what I did back in 2005... back when @DeniseM only had 1000 posts ;) {Go Giants!} And that was before in the day before everyone had a Smart Devices - IMO, in today's world it is inexcusable to buy a TS (luxury item) without easily searching. My friend on Kauai suggested that I search 'timeshare nightmares' when I got home after buying WKORVN OF during an SVN Preview visit at the Sheraton Poipu.

The real issue with the VSE contract that everyone should paid close attention to is the clause that states that whatever a TS Sales person verbally states to you is over-ridden by the signed contract. Meaning - that whatever recession period Sales tells you may not be correct, or that you can easily trade into WSJ, or that you can convert your SOs to SPs that easily cover the MFs, or that resales are bad because... (you get the idea...)

Congrats to the OP (@stephanie smith)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Flex is very similar to Marriott's DC program. While the sale occurs in one state, the timeshare is registered in another. Both are land trusts registered and recorded in Florida. What happened in the old days when they were selling weeks in one state for a property in another? I have read that with Marriott, when they sell DC in Nevada (which has a 5 day rescission) they have to honor the 10 day right of rescission period since the timeshare they are selling is registered in Florida.

Reaction score
For VSE - the rescission period that is listed in the contract is the correct time (I cannot speak for other TS systems and their ability to align with state laws). As VSE is a large corporation and have a large Legal Dept - you can be assured that the time period to rescind is stated in the contract that was signed by the purchaser (along with a info on recession). Every SVO/VSE contract I have seen has this rescission info stated somewhere (the TS salesperson is unlikely going to show you the recession period or method w/o being asked - and perhaps even then...)

Unfortunately, many sign this contract w/o understanding the contents, and buy these VOIs without first performing minimal research. Because if they did, then they would find TUG and rescind. Luckily this is what I did back in 2005... back when @DeniseM only had 1000 posts ;) {Go Giants!} And that was before in the day before everyone had a Smart Devices - IMO, in today's world it is inexcusable to buy a TS (luxury item) without easily searching. My friend on Kauai suggested that I search 'timeshare nightmares' when I got home after buying WKORVN OF during an SVN Preview visit at the Sheraton Poipu.

The real issue with the VSE contract that everyone should paid close attention to is the clause that states that whatever a TS Sales person verbally states to you is over-ridden by the signed contract. Meaning - that whatever recession period Sales tells you may not be correct, or that you can easily trade into WSJ, or that you can convert your SOs to SPs that easily cover the MFs, or that resales are bad because... (you get the idea...)

Congrats to the OP (@stephanie smith)
Well, hopefully I did everything right and it won't be an issue. The paperwork is so much and so confusijf!! I just put the signed agreement in the letter and put our names and account number on the bottom of the letter as well.. I sent it certified and receipt of delivery requested. We also applied for the SPG AmericanExpress card and got approved, any tips on earning SPG points?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Well, hopefully I did everything right and it won't be an issue. The paperwork is so much and so confusijf!! I just put the signed agreement in the letter and put our names and account number on the bottom of the letter as well.. I sent it certified and receipt of delivery requested. We also applied for the SPG AmericanExpress card and got approved, any tips on earning SPG points?

You should be fine, from peoples experiences on this board Vistana is pretty good about handling requests to rescind - I doubt they will play any games. Just don't take any of their calls or let them try to talk you into a "better deal".

MattJ

Reaction score
Another thing you may want to do is call VSE and let them know what you are doing. I just cancelled an upgrade in-person in Maui, but Owner Services advised that I fax the Cancellation Dept to ensure that the reservation that I had already booked for my current ownership would not be affected. Maybe I am getting different treatment as I am already an owner, it can't hurt to try.

My experience so far has been that VSE is professional and will deal with your requests. You are not the first person to rescind. They know what to do. I would love to see data on what percent they expect in terms of rescission to sales. I expect that if you demand that they accept your rescission, they will do what they can to make it efficient.

As for Timeshares sales, it's not that they all dishonest, it's just that TS are more complex products than they they want you to think. I have come to realize that TS is a big game between you and them to get the best deals and best benefits. It's all about optimizing dollars and getting satisfaction from finding the best deals. It's about planning and research and more planning (years in advance for some things). If you're interested in all that, you should take another look at TS. After all, it's vacation. It's supposed to be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
We also applied for the SPG AmericanExpress card and got approved, any tips on earning SPG points?

Congrats on the SPG Amex! Consider that your silver lining. It can be quite lucrative in point earning. In the last six months, we've stayed 20 free nights on SPG Starpoints - 10 in Orlando at the Disney Swan and 10 in Hawaii, transferring to Marriott Rewards, for 5 nights in Honolulu and 5 on the Big Island, before a 7 stay on Kauai in the Westin, trading our Maui ownership. DH has three nights booked in Vegas next month, while I transferred enough points to fly to Orlando on miles. Now, we did get some pretty big chunks of points when we (regrettably) purchased our VSE weeks, but the larger number of points came from every day spending. We put everything we possibly can on our SPG Amex, then pay it all off at the end of the month. The points rack up rather quickly. We also did some home renovations, and in doing so, took out a Heloc to pay for that, but we made the purchases first on the Amex, then paid it with the loan. I manage my elderly mother's financial affairs, and pay many of her bills with the Amex, paying it back when her SS and pension checks come in.

SPG Starpoints are easily transferred to Marriott Rewards, as Marriott recently bought out Starwood. I am finding - and this may vary in other areas - that it is easier to earn Starpoints, but they go further as Marriott Rewards points, even with the 1:3 conversion rate. Starpoints also convert to Miles on most airlines at a 1:1 rate with a bonus of 5,000 for every 20,000 transferred. Even more lucrative is Marriott's vacation packages.

If you fly Delta, you will want to link your SPG with your Delta account, and earn Starpoints along with your miles. If you use Uber during a Starwood hotel stay, you will get extra points per dollar spent on rides, though I think that has been revised. And you will want to spend your way to Gold status on the Amex - I believe it's $30K per year, if not achieved through Starwood property stays. (Those of us not as smart as you, who bought our VSE week(s) direct and didn't rescind, have Gold status as a benefit of that ownership, at least for now.)

The SPG Amex is one of the higher rated cards by The Points Guy, who estimates it's point value at 2.7 cents. It's a good card to have, and I am sure others will chime in on creative ways to earn points too. You can try searching the forum for "Amex" to see if older posts can help out too.

Reaction score
Congrats on the SPG Amex! Consider that your silver lining. It can be quite lucrative in point earning. In the last six months, we've stayed 20 free nights on SPG Starpoints - 10 in Orlando at the Disney Swan and 10 in Hawaii, transferring to Marriott Rewards, for 5 nights in Honolulu and 5 on the Big Island, before a 7 stay on Kauai in the Westin, trading our Maui ownership. DH has three nights booked in Vegas next month, while I transferred enough points to fly to Orlando on miles. Now, we did get some pretty big chunks of points when we (regrettably) purchased our VSE weeks, but the larger number of points came from every day spending. We put everything we possibly can on our SPG Amex, then pay it all off at the end of the month. The points rack up rather quickly. We also did some home renovations, and in doing so, took out a Heloc to pay for that, but we made the purchases first on the Amex, then paid it with the loan. I manage my elderly mother's financial affairs, and pay many of her bills with the Amex, paying it back when her SS and pension checks come in.

SPG Starpoints are easily transferred to Marriott Rewards, as Marriott recently bought out Starwood. I am finding - and this may vary in other areas - that it is easier to earn Starpoints, but they go further as Marriott Rewards points, even with the 1:3 conversion rate. Starpoints also convert to Miles on most airlines at a 1:1 rate with a bonus of 5,000 for every 20,000 transferred. Even more lucrative is Marriott's vacation packages.

If you fly Delta, you will want to link your SPG with your Delta account, and earn Starpoints along with your miles. If you use Uber during a Starwood hotel stay, you will get extra points per dollar spent on rides, though I think that has been revised. And you will want to spend your way to Gold status on the Amex - I believe it's $30K per year, if not achieved through Starwood property stays. (Those of us not as smart as you, who bought our VSE week(s) direct and didn't rescind, have Gold status as a benefit of that ownership, at least for now.)

The SPG Amex is one of the higher rated cards by The Points Guy, who estimates it's point value at 2.7 cents. It's a good card to have, and I am sure others will chime in on creative ways to earn points too. You can try searching the forum for "Amex" to see if older posts can help out too.
Wow, that is amazing!!!! We will for sure reach 30K a year.. this is so exciting! Thank you for all the Info!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding TUG in time to save tens of thousands of dollars!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Congratulations on rescinding. IMO the Vistana timeshares work best for people who like to stay for one week and who can plan at least 12 months in advance. I'd look at other options, such as renting condos or AirBnB.

bradfordHI

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI Hawaii Collection 74,000 points

Westin 2 Bedroom Maui; selling it now.
2 bedroom ocean Front Hyatt week 51. We Rent it on VRBO only.
Do what you think is right.
I own developer and resale. Developer points work better but resale can be cheaper but I am about to post something on the right message board that pertains to the exchange companies seeing resale and developer as totally different.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Do what you think is right.
I own developer and resale. Developer points work better but resale can be cheaper but I am about to post something on the right message board that pertains to the exchange companies seeing resale and developer as totally different.

Confused? What does 'Developer points work better' mean?
Are you saying VSN StarOptions from Developer are better than resale?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Confused? What does 'Developer points work better' mean?
Are you saying VSN StarOptions from Developer are better than resale?

I think they are referring to this thread.