• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Sheraton Flex Owner!! I'm having buyers remorse!

Reaction score
Ok, we purchased a Sheraton Flex plan!! We bought 37,000 options and when I called today, it turns out that we can't get much for the options we have. I am really thinking about canceling it all!! I feel deceived and it makes me really upset!! We were interested and told him we vacation 2 times a year, for 3 to 4 days at a time! My husband is a teacher so we vacation at peak times as well!! So confused and not sure what to do at this point!!! Any advice? I usually get really great deals by searching the Internet and few that we can save more money continuing doing it the way we are.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
When and where did you make the purchase?

There is a statutory rescission period; it typically varies from 7-10 days.

So time is of the essence.

Reaction score
When and where did you make the purchase?

There is a statutory rescission period; it typically varies from 7-10 days.

So time is of the essence.
We purchase in Myrtle Beach, my deadline is April 16th. I just feel they were not honest with me! First off they showed an example of vacations that you can take with a certain option plan, WRONG! How can I find out how many options a certain resort is?

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
There will be a waterfall of recommendations telling you to rescind. The fact that you made it here means you are frantic about what you think is a bad decision. Read your documents, follow the instructions and put your letter in the mail. Return receipt requested. You made a quick decision, which the law allows you to reverse. You will be fine. And be proud that you researched you decision and found this site.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rescind, then do your research by reading threads here. If, after extensive reading of the VSE boards, you decide you want Flex points, there is apparently a resale on RedWeek right now. But, in general, there are probably options that are better for you (both monetarily as well as in usage.)

Reaction score
How do you Rescind? I now write a letter and send it to where it gets there before the deadline, but what do you include in the letter?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Sorry to hear about your experience. Vistana is a great system with outstanding resorts; unfortunately, the sales model is completely broken (this is for nearly all timeshare companies) and in my opinion the Flex system is much less attractive than what was previously available.

Since you asked for the StarOptions chart - here it is: http://www.tug2.net/advice/svn_valuechart.pdf

I'm guessing they sold you the equivalent of a Gold Plus week for a one-bedroom at SBP. This would give you seven days at peak times at that resort, unfortunately it won't get you much else in the system (you could get a studio unit every second year for example).

I'll join in the recommendations of others that you are best off rescinding and then having an opportunity to do some research. Are you wanting to exchange into some of the more exotic locations or will you vacation mostly on the east coast? That may drive your how you approach your timeshare acquisition strategy.

Reaction score
We would vacation mostly on the East Coast.. We want to vacation twice a year, one is off peak and one is peak times.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rescind, then do your research by reading threads here. If, after extensive reading of the VSE boards, you decide you want Flex points, there is apparently a resale on RedWeek right now. But, in general, there are probably options that are better for you (both monetarily as well as in usage.)

The resale package on Redweek is for 44,000 biennial and is way overpriced in my opinion. Keep in mind that Flex is voluntary, so you can't directly compare the resale vs. developer contracts as the resale HomeOptions can only be used at one of the six resorts. If the OP is wanting to exchange to Harborside, WSJ or WKORV then the Redweek package is useless. If they are happy going back to Myrtle Beach, Florida or the resorts out west then the Redweek package would be a option - but I would want a much better price (i.e., free) to take it off someones hands.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be that your salesman(men) told you about your rights, but not the specifics. In the massive packet of info that you got, there are specific instructions outlining your rights and obligations. You need to follow the instructions regarding the rescission process and mail a letter requesting cancellation of your contract. The contract number should be included as well as signatures of everyone who signed the original contract. It should be mailed by the "due date" - which you state is 4/16. The postmark date is the effective date - not the date of arrival. That is why you should get a return receipt - to prove that you DID mail it. Everything will take care of itself - you need not worry. You can study your options and learn from others here, with no pressure. Then you can make an informed decision on your future.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Rescind! And be thankful you discovered how overpriced it is while you can get your money back. Don't hesitate, draft a letter tonight and send it overnight tomorrow with delivery confirmation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
IMO, a resale mandatory property is far better than Flex. You can get Sheraton Vistana Villages 2BR with 81,000 StarOptions that has just about the same MF as 67,100 Home Options in Flex. However, that 2BR 81K will only cost about $1,200 on the resale market.

Definitely rescind and research your options. The problem with Vistana is that they don't really have many locations on the east coast. There is a property in Myrtle Beach and one on the Atlantic coast of Florida then the two in Orlando.

There was a rescission letter sample in the Buying, Selling and Renting forum that someone posted. I will see if I can find a link. You don't need to be fancy, and be sure to follow the directions in your contract and only send or deliver the letter to the address provided in the contract.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We would vacation mostly on the East Coast.. We want to vacation twice a year, one is off peak and one is peak times.

Then the package you bought would get you what you are wanting. Especially if you only want 3-4 day trips, so a points system would make more sense than the traditional timeshare weeks. That said, I think you can do what you are wanting to do much more cheaply. You've come to the right place - once you've rescinded there will be plenty of friendly folks willing to help you find what will meet your needs.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for responding!! It made me feel better about rescinding, I thought it was going to be a nightmare to rescind!!! My husband is not happy at all with the sales tactics and to be Honest it has turned him off from buying a timeshare all together! He just can't understand why so much dishonesty! Who knows if he will agree to buy another on resale or not.. I think it is the principal of it all.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
If you can avoid the sales departments, time sharing can be awesome. The Vistana resorts are beautiful. But you need to figure out what you might want first. Like someone else above mentioned 81k staroptions bought on the resale market are a good starting point. You can get into most resorts with that. Take a step back, we have all been lied to by sales staff. Congratulations on finding this forum before it was too late. Many of us were not that lucky! Look for a mandatory resort (explanation in one of the stickies), pay a fraction of what the developer cost for Flex would be.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Congratulations on finding TUG in time to rescind! Many people do not. You are very wise to rescind now while you still can. Get that letter in the mail asap. Be sure to send it by certified mail so that you have a receipt from the post office showing the date you mailed it.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Thank you to everyone for responding!! It made me feel better about rescinding, I thought it was going to be a nightmare to rescind!!! My husband is not happy at all with the sales tactics and to be Honest it has turned him off from buying a timeshare all together! He just can't understand why so much dishonesty! Who knows if he will agree to buy another on resale or not.. I think it is the principal of it all.

That's not an atypical reaction to the reality of timeshare sales. Tell him he's in good company. I'm sure both of you feel betrayed by the sales staff, whom you thought were offering you a real deal as explained by the numbers they casually wrote on a blank paper just like a car salesman...and mentioned the various ways you could use the ownership to travel.

Not having gone to any timeshare presentation in years, I can attest that timeshares are great to use for travel and the actual use of them works quite well...just avoid the sales office for your own future sanity. TUG is a much more reliable source of knowledge. Remember, there is no false reason to hurry with a purchase, either. You might even want to rent a timeshare once or twice before committing (some just rent every year...no commitment at all and ultimate flexibility). But...renting might not work as well for partial weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stephanie, the ARDA website shows that the legal rescission period in SC is 5 days, so you might want to forget about 4/16 as being the real deadline. As a matter of fact, the rescission period is 5 days, unless the last date falls on a Sunday. Then it is the next day. You got wrong information from someplace. Hopefully not from the salesman.

Campbell Vaughn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana St Augustine
I bought VV St Augustine from developer. Found the forum to late to rescind, was mad at myself for my ignorance. I love VV, super nice resort... Also, reading how everyone loves where they travel I am going to be adding more StarOptions shortly from a mandatory resort. Im also probably going to buy into a different club as well... still reading and learning where, when, and what to buy. Gulf Shores, Destin, Amelia Island (what club, time, and points/weeks will get us in the resorts we want to vaction?)

It does make me a little nervous, Staroptions vs Flex...

Reaction score
Stephanie, the ARDA website shows that the legal rescission period in SC is 5 days, so you might want to forget about 4/16 as being the real deadline. As a matter of fact, the rescission period is 5 days, unless the last date falls on a Sunday. Then it is the next day. You got wrong information from someplace. Hopefully not from the salesman.
It says 10 days on my contract. I think it is registered to Florida. We bought on April 6th, so if it is Indeed 5 days I need to have the letter in the mail by the 10th TODAY!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It says 10 days on my contract. I think it is registered to Florida. We bought on April 6th, so if it is Indeed 5 days I need to have the letter in the mail by the 10th TODAY!!!
In that case, don't delay. Get thee to thy post office. TODAY!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some sheets say 5 and others say 10... soo confusing!!
Do I need to include any sheets that we signed or just asking to rescind and put our account number and address?
I would include copies of the signature pages that show the account number, and be sure that both signers of the contract sign the rescission letter. The letter doesn't need to be legalese or anything- you just need to make clear that your intention is to terminate the contract. Keep a copy, and mail it Certified with return receipt.

Then pour yourself a glass of wine and say, 'Thanks TUG!'

Jim