• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New policy - confirming Guest Reservations [MORE CHANGES]

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
To be honest I've felt uneasy giving a certain amount of personal information to renters and them calling Vistana/Starwood. With the information they had it isn't that hard for them to get through Starwood security questions into our accounts. I discussed this with Owner Services when I first started renting. They recommended that we put a code on our account. But to be honest, I still think they should be happy with an email confirmation and calling the resort for confirmation, not owners services. Owner Services is for OWNERS.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
A guest can't call the resort for confirmation either - they either connect them to Owner Services, or give them the phone number for owner services.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I've always had my guests call the resort directly and Sheraton Broadway Plantation has always confirmed info for the guest. I have sent 2 guests to Harborside, one through a broker and one direct and I don't know who they confirmed with.

Do other major systems make you call central reservations to verify or is it usually done on a resort by resort basis?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Wow - this got exciting...

I have never had a renter call SVN/VSN to confirm a rental, nor have I had a Renter request to call SVN/VSN to confirm. However, I am not running a rental business (renting only my VOIs - approx 20 times in 10 years) - and personally okay with decision by VSE/VSN not to act as a go between for the very low % that have a need for verbal rental confirmation. IMO, I do not care to subsidize this activity in reducing costs that impacts everyone. Again IMO - sorry.

I receive multiple emails from VSE prior to my visit (at 1 month and ~1 weeks follow up from the resort) - and the Renter does when it is in their name and email.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify - Vistana only send those follow-up emails to the owner - not to the renter. All communication goes through the owner.

Wow - this got exciting...

I have never had a renter call SVN/VSN to confirm a rental, nor have I had a Renter request to call SVN/VSN to confirm. However, I am not running a rental business (renting only my VOIs - approx 20 times in 10 years) - and personally okay with decision buy VSE/VSN not to act as a go between for the very low % that have a need for verbal rental confirmation. IMO, I do not care to subsidize this activity in reducing costs that impacts everyone. Again IMO - sorry.

I receive multiple emails from VSE prior to my visit (at 1 month and ~1 weeks follow up from the resort) - and the Renter does when it is in their name and email.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
To be honest I've felt uneasy giving a certain amount of personal information to renters and them calling Vistana/Starwood. With the information they had it isn't that hard for them to get through Starwood security questions into our accounts. I discussed this with Owner Services when I first started renting. They recommended that we put a code on our account.

That's funny, I've complained about the same thing. The questions they ask for access to the account (phone number and address) are often part of the public record and are easily provided by numerous individuals besides the actual Owner. I have specifically asked to add a verbal password to my account and they told me they don't have that capability.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What you're describing is a legitimate problem, and the remedy in such a scenario is to escalate concerns and ultimately fire the management company if unresolved. And if what we were talking about in this thread was related to the services, amenities, or upkeep provided as part of operating the resorts themselves, I would wholeheartedly join you in your criticisms regarding gradual deterioration. However, what we are talking about is NOT removing a midweek tidy, is NOT removing services or amenities, is NOT reducing cleaning/upkeep standards. We're simply talking about owners expecting the Owner Services phone number to provide customer service on behalf of their third party rentals, which is pretty far removed from the example you're citing.

Same thing. Services of any kind being diluted or eliminated arbitrarily by management is detrimental to the entire ownership. So of course it is a great example of an eliminated service. Just because it's Wyndham, that doesn't mean it does not relate to this subject, either, because owners have to stand against management when we lose benefits.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Same thing. Services of any kind being diluted or eliminated arbitrarily by management is detrimental to the entire ownership. So of course it is a great example of an eliminated service. Just because it's Wyndham, that doesn't mean it does not relate to this subject, either, because owners have to stand against management when we lose benefits.

It's not the same thing, actually, for several reasons.

1. We pay a hefty fee for Westin/Sheraton brand affiliation which has certain quality and upkeep standards. If those standards are not being enforced, then it is a violation of the agreement.

2. Providing a mid-week tidy is part of a written standard of the services to which you're entitled.

3. A resort management company's primary responsibility is to provide for the enjoyment of the property by its owners. Maintaining the resort is part of that responsibility. Cleaning the units is part of that responsibility. Preventing intrusion of pests is part of that responsibility. Assisting owners with renting their units or with providing customer service to their renters is NOT part of that responsibility, and Vistana has never pretended to offer these services. The fact that a small subset of owners discovered that they could offload a portion of their rental administration to Vistana does not make the closed loophole an "eliminated service." And, if that loophole was increasing costs that were passed on to owners, I'd argue that it's incumbent upon Vistana to close the loophole.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I've always been surprised that any timeshare company allows guests/renters of owners to contact the property or management company directly because it opens them up to liability if errors happen that result in an owner's reservation or account being changed. Sure it's a minimal risk but it's not altogether impossible. I LIKE that Marriott still allows guests/renters to make their own inquiries but honestly, I'm expecting them to follow the lead of other timeshare systems and implement a similar restriction sooner rather than later. (Especially after the fiasco earlier this year with a renter managing to get approval/assistance from Marriott Owner Services to change an owner's II exchange.)

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
It's hard for me to get all bothered about this. I've rented/exchanged my timeshares to other people in the past and I've rented/exchanged from owners in the past. I've never given VSE's number for prospective renters to call, nor have I ever demanded a reservation line to call. Admittedly, I don't rent from Craig's List or eBay, which seem rife with fraudsters. Rather, I use Tug or Redweek, both of which require a modest membership fee to join. Thankfully, most fraudsters can't be arsed to fork out $10 in order to defraud people.

When I rented my VOIs, once we reached an agreement on price, I provided my full name, home telephone number, home address, and a screen shot of the "My Information" page and proof that the MFs were up to date. I also invited them to google my county's property tax information records to verify that I'm who I say I am. (Hint: property records are often searchable and free if you know the county (which can be looked up based on their address), as it's public information.) Once I received payment, I sent a screen shot of the reservation with their name on it, and forwarded the email confirmation of the reservation. I also went online and checked the box for Vistana to send the guest a confirmation, which lists the villa type, date, and view (if applicable). That's it. When I rented from another owner, I asked for the same info.

So if I was in the business of renting timeshares, I'd change the prospective renters' expectations and simply quit offering the ability to call reservations directly. If they insisted, I'd schedule the three way call. Otherwise, I'd offer the ability to secure their reservation with PayPal, which accepts credit card payments (and consumer protection). If what I've offered doesn't satisfy them, then they're going to have to miss out on a good deal. No risk, no reward.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
So if I was in the business of renting timeshares, I'd change the prospective renters' expectations and simply quit offering the ability to call reservations directly. If they insisted, I'd schedule the three way call. Otherwise, I'd offer the ability to secure their reservation with PayPal, which accepts credit card payments (and consumer protection). If what I've offered doesn't satisfy them, then they're going to have to miss out on a good deal. No risk, no reward.

Exactly!! :clap:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I used to have my SVO/SVN account password protected, but that fell apart as they do not have a reliable system that is set-up for verbal password protection with Owner Services.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify - Vistana only send those follow-up emails to the owner - not to the renter. All communication goes through the owner.

Is this something a new? I've ALWAYS had Starwood (I haven't rented anything since it changed to Vistana) email the reservation confirmation directly to whoever was going to use our weeks, whether it was family or a renter. I never had to call SVN, I just requested it online. My guests usually got the email confirmation no later than a few hours after I requested it, and they got the follow up emails.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is this something a new? I've ALWAYS had Starwood (I haven't rented anything since it changed to Vistana) email the reservation confirmation directly to whoever was going to use our weeks, whether it was family or a renter. I never had to call SVN, I just requested it online. My guests usually got the email confirmation no later than a few hours after I requested it, and they got the follow up emails.

Denise was referring to the welcome emails - not the reservation confirmations. It was a minor point about contact with Renter - reservation confirmations can be (and are) sent to the Renter. My Renter's have received both the reservation confirmation (as part of rental agreement), and the welcome emails. Apparently, the ones dealing with Denise have not. I am not sure it has been consistent with my Renter's, but some certainly have received welcome emails from the resorts (at least the ones who care to stay in contact). I have forwarded them to the renter, and heard from them that they also received the welcome emails.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW - I do not send the follow up emails to my guests, because they all say, "Call us if you want to cancel your reservation," which may cause confusion...

Last edited:

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
i wonder if this will affect Redweek's "Verified" service. I always get that when I post my rentals and it seems to satisfy the renters.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
To clear up confusion - the welcome emails that I was referring are standard and about contacting the concierge to arrange activities. I am sure that there is a 'contact Owner Services, if...' in these emails, but irrelevant based on Rental Contract/Agreement. Again, this is more of a 3rd party rental issue - IMO - and seemly also based on experiences of those willing to chime in - if I have read completely.

We used a great email offer recently at WKORV - our table scored all the good raffles! I share those type of emails (depending on Renter situation), and I know from some WKORV and WKV renters that these emails are being sent to the person assigned in VSN's records (which I added as part of rental process).

I agree that there is likely a forthcoming reduction in services from VSN - they could use a lot of efficiency improvements from the business aspect. I can imagine with the ILG takeover that 'efficiencies' would soon come (that is standard corporate process). I am more concerned about resort quality. The only time I speak to Owner Services is to change reservation name - and even that is unnecessary. I am sure the Call Center employee numbers are less than previous with the online reservation system (and that still has a lot of improvement needed).

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Does Vistana assist owners who exchange their units? Obviously it does, requiring at least some effort at central reservations co-ordinating with Interval or RCI and some additional work from the resorts' front desks (such as if an exchanger were to call to confirm a reservation).

Then why shouldn't owners who rent their units get the same support from Vistana as owners who exchange their units?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Does Vistana assist owners who exchange their units? Obviously it does, requiring at least some effort at central reservations co-ordinating with Interval or RCI and some additional work from the resorts' front desks (such as if an exchanger were to call to confirm a reservation).

Then why shouldn't owners who rent their units get the same support from Vistana as owners who exchange their units?

Owners who choose to exchange their units using Interval or RCI are taking advantage of one of Vistana's published service offerings. Vistana as the resort management company needs only to perform certain logistical functions (i.e. inventory management, etc.) to provide that service. However, no representative of Vistana's Owner Reservations line would speak with an II exchanger who happened to snag a unit at a VSE resort.

Similarly, owners who choose to engage a third party renter require Vistana as the resort management company to perform certain logistical functions (i.e. changing the name on the reservation) to facilitate that transaction. However, there is no need for a representative of Vistana's Owner Reservations line to speak with your third party renter any more than they would need to speak with an II exchanger.

Vistana is being entirely consistent here.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
i wonder if this will affect Redweek's "Verified" service. I always get that when I post my rentals and it seems to satisfy the renters.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head as to why VSE is changing this policy. I'd imagine they were sick of confirming ownership for Redweek's benefit. Their volume is undoubtedly much higher than owners who might rent out one or two units a year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't believe that Redweek calls to verify. Redweek has the owner send a copy of their documentation, like their deed and confirmation to verify the reservation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: There is a new message on the dashboard today stating that you cannot request Guest Confirmations online any more - you must call. So much for cost cutting and saving owner's money!

Can you imagine how much busier the phone lines will be - where is the "cost savings" now?

They also will no longer email confirmations to your guest.

Still think they aren't trying to suppress rentals?

The more difficult they make it to rent, the more timeshares will get deposited in II (they own II - remember) and the more timeshares they can Hoover up and rent themselves.

We are seeing the beginning of the erosion of owner's rights with Vistana.

Are you really OK with that?

If not, you should go to the dashboard and make a complaint ASAP.

You can also email Suzanne Clark, VP of Owner Services, at (I believe) - suzanne.clark@vistana.com

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting development...

I wouldn't immediately jump on the theory that Vistana is trying to suppress ALL rentals. Perhaps they are trying to stop StarOption exchanges being turned into rentals? I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Interesting development...

I wouldn't immediately jump on the theory that Vistana is trying to suppress ALL rentals. Perhaps they are trying to stop StarOption exchanges being turned into rentals? I'm OK with that.

Perhaps, but they are making ALL owners call - this is going to create such a log jam on the phone lines.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, you have a rental business which deals with a lot of owners. Realistically, what percentage of owners do you think this policy affects? I'm pretty sure it is a very, very small minority. Personally, I've never had a problem getting through to Owner Services. If it takes you some extra time, it is simply figured into your cost of doing business.