• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Ownership of Resort [Holiday Inn Club Vacations, formerly Silverleaf Resorts]

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ozark Mountain, Holiday Hills and a Presidential at Holiday Hills
We have three timeshares at Holiday Inn Club Vacations, formerly Silverleaf Resorts whose office was located in Dallas Texas. We, as owners, were not notified when this sale/merger occurred. Now a lot of things have changed: Can call for reservation one week in advance (which we like); CANNOT OCCUPY ALL THREE LODGES (ONE OF WHICH IS A PRESIDENTIAL) AT THE SAME TIME (WHICH WE DO NOT LIKE AND OPPOSE). Example, if my name appears on all three deeds, I can only use one. We purchased one timeshare in 1989; another in 2005 and the third one in 2007. One of these is for our grandchildren to use, but we have the option to use it also as my husband's name is on the deed. Can someone tell me why we cannot use all three at the same time? These were all purchased under the "Endless Escape" which has always been that a purchaser (any name on the deed) can go at any time when there is a vacancy. We really enjoyed this! AND we were told we could use all three at the same time -- otherwise, why have three?? Our due have raised once each year for the last two years. If you want to "bank" a week, there are certain times you can use them -- oh ? Didn't tell us that either. And to top it all off, we are required to pay a $115.00 deposit when we come. When I asked why I was told that it was "in case anything was damaged, etc.". I have never damaged anything -- have left things before but not gotten them back because "no one found them". We are so disgusted. Do we have any recourse???

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I suggest you read the following 2 TUG threads

Silverleaf Owners beware of HIVC conversion - started Aug 16 2016

Orange Lake just acquired Silverleaf Resorts - started May 21 2015

you may wish to message / have a conversation with some who posted to get more information .

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
In terms of the deposit in this day and age, checking into anything where you don't own it 100% most entities require a security hold. It drops off when you check out. I guess I don't understand why people get so upset when this happens. Have you never stayed at a hotel/motel or rented a car in the last 10 years?

As for the other changes, I doubt there is much you can do. I would imagine HICV took a look at the rules and whereever it wasn't specifically spelled out in the plan documents they made the changes they wanted to make. Both Bluegreen and Wyndham have interpretations that any individual owner can only occupy one unit at a time and in bluegreen's case that determines the max rooms you can reserve for bonus time which is reserved for owners only and in Wyndham's case it determines if a $100 guest certificate fee can be charged for any unit not occupied by an owner on the contract. These are stricter interpretations of the plan documents than the original developer used but like I said, probably legal and to really find out you would have to challenge HICV in court. In terms of multiple purchases the reply would be you buy multiple weeks because you want to stay multiple weeks as availability isn't guaranteed under bonus time like endless escape.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In terms of the deposit in this day and age, checking into anything where you don't own it 100% most entities require a security hold. It drops off when you check out. I guess I don't understand why people get so upset when this happens. Have you never stayed at a hotel/motel or rented a car in the last 10 years?

As for the other changes, I doubt there is much you can do. I would imagine HICV took a look at the rules and whereever it wasn't specifically spelled out in the plan documents they made the changes they wanted to make. Both Bluegreen and Wyndham have interpretations that any individual owner can only occupy one unit at a time and in bluegreen's case that determines the max rooms you can reserve for bonus time which is reserved for owners only and in Wyndham's case it determines if a $100 guest certificate fee can be charged for any unit not occupied by an owner on the contract. These are stricter interpretations of the plan documents than the original developer used but like I said, probably legal and to really find out you would have to challenge HICV in court. In terms of multiple purchases the reply would be you buy multiple weeks because you want to stay multiple weeks as availability isn't guaranteed under bonus time like endless escape.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I have flew, stayed in hotels/motels recently and never had to make any kind of deposit. This $115.00 is for "damages" (in case there are any). I guess I will seek advice from my attorney to see about how the deeds should be changed. Holiday Inn Club Vacations is a rip-off as far as I am concerned and I do not trust that corporation. I certainly will not stay at a Holiday Inn unless it is a dire emergency. No one on any of the three deeds have ever abused usage, damaged any property -- as a matter face, we usually leave the unit as clean (except for remaking beds and cleaning the bathrooms) as it was when we used it. We also have to pay extra if we take pets (most hotel/motels don't require a deposit for this.) What jerks these people are. I am almost sorry that we purchased any of these time shares -- however when Silverleaf owned it we were happy. We were specifically told that we could have one, two or even all three units at the same time, when they were purchased. I have read the handbook received from Ozark Resorts and there is nothing in it about not being able to use more than one unit at the same time. There is a provision that the owner would be responsible for any damage done after insurance proceeds. We as owners do not have any handbook, copy of deeds, rules and/or regulations from Holiday Inn Club Vacations and have not been told that a handbook is available.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As for the other changes, I doubt there is much you can do. I would imagine HICV took a look at the rules and wherever it wasn't specifically spelled out in the plan documents they made the changes they wanted to make...... stricter interpretations of the plan documents than the original developer used but.... probably legal and to really find out you would have to challenge HICV in court.

Well said. I think it can usually be safely assumed that the "new sheriff in chain town" can and will make any changes they see fit that are favorable to them and not overtly prohibited or otherwise already specifically defined in governing documents. How the "old chain sheriff" chose to interpret things not specifically defined in governing documents may have been better for owners, but that's irrelevant. Rest assured that the "new chain sheriff" hasn't adopted changes without first doing some homework and / or without having some significant confidence that the changes can and will withstand challenge and "stick".
One more reason why I personally dislike and stay way from "clubs and chains". YMMV.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They may call it a deposit but it is usually just a hold. If you do not damage anything it will never become an actual charge. Do you see actual charges that are then refunded or do you see a pending charge only?

The question is there anything in the documents that says you can have 3 units at once (not that you can't), if the documents aren't specific on that point, it doesn't matter what you were told 10 years ago, or even today. What is written is what counts and just because something isn't prohibited doesn't mean that it is something that the developer has to allow or that you have a "right" to based on your multiple ownership.

I am not sure by what you mean on "how the deeds should be changed". If you don't want them you need to find someone who will buy or at least accept them and then you prepare the deed, get it recorded and pay the transfer fee if applicable and HICV will acknowledge the new owner. If you don't want a deed you should contact HICV and see if they are willing to take deed from you and if their is a fee for this.

Unfortunately even when the developer doesn't change there are often changes in rules and procedures in the timeshare world. HICV bought Silverleaf to make money. Silverleaf sold because they either weren't making enough to make it worth their time or HICV made them an offer that was too good to refuse. By taking unsold inventory they probably have enough votes to get most things they want changed with the exceptions of explicit rights attached to the deed and bonus time is never a deeded unchangable right.

I am actually sure Holiday Inn would probably love to take away pets being allowed at the resorts at all. 95% or more of timeshares do not allow pets and $125 is probably an average fee on the few that allow it. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 10 years the ability to bring your pets either goes away or becomes even more difficult (only a few designated units at each resort on a first come first serve basis).

You have 3 choices- fight it (probably expensive and you will probably lose- but who knows maybe you will win), live with it, or try to get out ASAP by selling it or giving it away.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have been accused of being pro developer. I am not I am just very pessimistic about being able to change things. They are what they are and you either live with it or get out but complaining about changes (and even being surprised by them) isn't really productive in anyway unless you are ready to take it to the next level with actively organizing owners and willing to put your money, time and resources to a nearly impossible task.

If this is the first major unexpected change you have had in your years of owning a timeshare you are lucky to have make it this far.

Last edited: