• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner, now what?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Shells - No matter where you want to go, the best strategy is to deposit your LV week as early as possible, so you can see what is available in RCI, and start making plans.

Then, the way to get the most out of your points is to search RCI religiously for low TPU exchanges in places you'd like to go. For a beach vacation - that's probably Mexico.

If it were me, I'd make an exchange for my beach vacation first, and then visit LV if I have enough TPU's leftover. If you don't, it's very inexpensive to rent at Grandview on RCI, and you still have your bonus week, too.

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was sort-of thinking of grabbing one unit and picking up another during flex (or whatever RCI calls <45).

I just checked the signature (Minnesoooota) and that really is a long-hike for last minute beach access.

meh..just a thought.

you are correct in the Minesooota :) that cracks me up when I hear myself say it. All I now is it is just to cold and I don't like it anymore.

Shells - No matter where you want to go, the best strategy is to deposit your LV week as early as possible, so you can see what is available in RCI, and start making plans.

Then, the way to get the most out of your points is to search RCI religiously for low TPU exchanges in places you'd like to go. For a beach vacation - that's probably Mexico.

If it were me, I'd make an exchange for my beach vacation first, and then visit LV if I have enough TPU's leftover. If you don't, it's very inexpensive to rent at Grandview on RCI, and you still have your bonus week, too.

Denise this is sound advice, thanks I will keep working on it.

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes we have a certificate with a number, it is called "extra vacation getaway" (three year certificate) it states we are entitled to one extra vacation getaway per year for three consecutive years? We thought that we were entitled to this extra week (or vacation getaway) every year not just for three years. When I called vacation village resorts who we purchased our TS from they said it is every year as long as we keep our RCI membership active.

It sounds like the smart play is to deposit our week 23 in the RCI system then if we really want to go to Grandview look for a last minute deal on a 1 or 2BR unit for our whole family? We could pay cash for a last minute deal or find an exchange for around 7 TPU's and keep the remaining 9 TPU's in our RCI account for some other vacation opportunity?

If we did this it would just cost us the $219 fee to book the exchange through RCI?

Good tip on the Grandview owners group on Facebook I will check into this.

Yes, the certificate says 3 years, but it will autorenew as long as you keep your rci membership active.

Your best strategy as we've done is to either use the extra vacation bonus week to stay at Grandview that will cost you $219 for the week. Or you can purchase an extra vacation from RCI (or as some say rent the week from RCI). RCI currently has over 200 units at Grandview from now through March of next year at prices ranging from $269 to 499 for the week.

If you use this method to stay at Grandview, you can deposit your actual Week 23 into RCI and use it to stay elsewhere. Think of the 16 TPU you get as a bank, each time you reserve an exchange, they'll charge you the $219 exchange fee and subtract the TPU required for the exchange from your bank. You can do that as many times as you want with the TPU you have available.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the certificate says 3 years, but it will autorenew as long as you keep your rci membership active.

Your best strategy as we've done is to either use the extra vacation bonus week to stay at Grandview that will cost you $219 for the week. Or you can purchase an extra vacation from RCI (or as some say rent the week from RCI). RCI currently has over 200 units at Grandview from now through March of next year at prices ranging from $269 to 499 for the week.

If you use this method to stay at Grandview, you can deposit your actual Week 23 into RCI and use it to stay elsewhere. Think of the 16 TPU you get as a bank, each time you reserve an exchange, they'll charge you the $219 exchange fee and subtract the TPU required for the exchange from your bank. You can do that as many times as you want with the TPU you have available.

Thanks I like this strategy, sounds like a good plan.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I tried to deposit my week 23 for 2018 and they said I could not deposit it until my main. fees were paid for 2018? I guess that makes sense.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So I tried to deposit my week 23 for 2018 and they said I could not deposit it until my main. fees were paid for 2018? I guess that makes sense.

Can you pay it early, and deposit early?

Vinayak Prabhu

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion.. understand RCI completely.. Don't hesitate to chat with customer rep and questions

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion.. understand RCI completely.. Don't hesitate to chat with customer rep and questions

Thanks for sound advice I have called RCI, they are helpful. I have since deposited my grandview week so I have 16 tpu banked so we search around for places to potentially go most locations cost more than 16 tpu but we will keep looking.