• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New owner, now what?

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just purchased our first timeshare, now after finding this site and reading all the posts I'm afraid we made a bad decision?

My question is how do we make the best of what we bought? Here are the details:

Grandview at Las Vegas
one bedroom
week 23

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When did you sign the contract?

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read about the 10 day recision but sadly we had already passed our recision period.

Unless anyone has some magical advice we just hoping to make the best of it and exchange through RCI for where we want to go. But after reading a bit even this sounds difficult. So now just looking for advice from folks who have already walked this path.

Now the emails I get from RCI say we should deposit our week right away? Any thoughts?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do you know how many RCI points you own?

Do you know where and when you want to exchange?

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
No I don't know how many points, I believe it is Biennial even and considered a float week? There was also an extra bonus week.

Wow it sure did sound good when we signed up, now it is like :bawl:

Trying to look at the positives, we may just travel more ourselves and with family and friends.

We love anywhere in the caribbean, but also like Florida, The Keys and Playa Del Carmen. Love beaches and ocean.

Are considering traveling next spring but may wait until fall 2017 or wait until 2018, kind of up in the air right now.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First of all, you need to find out how many RCI points you have - that may be in your purchase paperwork. I am assuming you got RCI points this year?

You probably have enough for Florida, but you may not have enough for the Caribbean.

Timesharing works best with advanced planning, so you want to start planning for 2017, ASAP.

Look up the points, and then you can post a "Sightings Request" - this is a request asking Tuggers to tell you what exchanges are available:

Post it here -> Sightings Forum: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Sample Sightings Request-
[TITLE] Sightings request: Florida Coast/Caribbean Coast - Jan. thru April, 2017.

[MESSAGE] We are new owners with XXXX RCI points and we'd like to go to a Florida or Caribbean Coast resort.

Then, Tuggers will let you know if they can see any availability with RCI.

If you find you don't have enough points, you can combine your 2016 and 2018 points to have a larger total.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many RCI points you own?

Do you know where and when you want to exchange?

Denise

Is it possible this purchase is just what the op says it was; a week, not points. If it is rci points that should be easy to look up. 49000 points. Or if a week 16 tpu

I'm not a big RCI user but that's what I see

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
No points listed. We have week 23 (on a biennial, or even year) so our ownership doesn't start until 2018.

We have one bonus week every year but do not want to activate this with RCI until we know for sure that we will travel in 2017 since we would have to use it within one year of activation, and then it sounds like we have a 2-45 day window to book something that works?

We could deposit our week 23 for 2018 with RCI but then would have to pay the maintenance fees which are not due until 2018. I wonder what the trading power will be once we deposit this week, does anyone know? Or have any ideas on how to find out?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
According to post #8 above, Ron looked it up on RCI, and you have 16 TPU. (trading power units)

With RCI, you either have points, or TPU - so it appears that you have TPU.

The maximum TPU is 60, so 16 is a small amount, but it should be enough for Florida.

From your comment, it appears that you may already have an RCI Acct? If so, you can log in and check availability yourself - without depositing. Don't worry about accidentally making an exchange while you are checking out RCI - to make an exchange you have to put in your credit card number, so can't happen accidentally.

OR: If you don't have an RCI Acct. yet, you can post a Sightings Request, and ask Tuggers to post what they can see in the RCI inventory-

Post it here -> Sightings Forum: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Sample format for Sightings Request-
[TITLE] Sightings request: Florida Coast/Caribbean Coast - Jan. thru April, 2017.

[MESSAGE] We are new owners with 16 TPU and we'd like to go to a Florida or Caribbean Coast resort.

Then, Tuggers will let you know if they can see any availability with RCI.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wouldn't be too concerned about the bonus week. The bonus week at best can save you about $50 over the regular rental price for the Last Call rentals. RCI often has sales throughout the year where you would be able to get the same type of inventory outside of 45 days for the same or less than the $219 exchange fee on the bonus cert.

They best way to make what you have work is going to be to travel during the off season. You are not going to have enough tpu's with your week or trading power with your cert to travel to beachy locations during prime season. You may be able to find nice places in the the fall.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is not the most valuable week. But it is what it is. This week 23 should be the first FULL week in June. It will be pretty hot in Vegas, but not unbearable. I would make the best of it, and at least try it the first couple of cycles (2018/2020) before exchanging. That is the cheapest way to own a vacation week. Then, if you have more vacation time available, check out shoulder season availability on RCI Last Calls. As tschwa2 said, those are full weeks made available within 45 days of check in, and are cash rentals, for (currently) $219 for most 1 BRs. My experience has been that during the school year, if you can swing it, availability is not too difficult, especially in overbuilt places. Vegas, Orlando, Williamsburg, Branson, Mexico. Easy peazy.

Stick around TUG. Do some reading. If you are interested in looking at resort reviews, invest (OK blow) $15 on joining and becoming a member of TUG. That's what reviews cost. Your 16 TPUs eoy are not going to go too far in exchanging, but it's a start.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please note that the OP has already joined TUG, so has access to the reviews, and other member features.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the original question. How to make the best use of this

I use RCI for just one resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. So I don't know if this works elsewhere

There always seems to be last minute availability at vacation village at parkway at 4 to 5 TPU plus the exchange fee. or at under $300 cash for last calls.and they take my dog
16 TPU plus $800 could give you 4 weeks and then lots more weeks at $300

If I had to do it again I think I would buy a cheap week and do last calls

The key of course is finding your own vacation village

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please note that the OP has already joined TUG, so has access to the reviews, and other member features.

So she has! Isn't THAT Special! :)

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You also get a discounted exchange to all Vacation Village affilliates. So the exchange fee is only $149 currently. Many of these resorts like Grandview and Vacation Villages at Parkway and Massanutten often have exchanges for less than 10 tpu's and as low as 3-4 during sales.

http://www.internalexchange.net/

California
Big Bear Lake
Snow Lake Lodge
La Jolla
Casa de la Playa
Laguna Beach
Laguna Shores
Laguna Surf
Oceanside
Aquamarine Villas
Palm Springs
Palm Springs Tennis Club
Ramona
San Diego Country Estates
Virginia
McGaheysville
Eagle Trace at Killy Court
Eagle Trace at Massanutten
Massanutten's Mountainside Villas
Massanutten's Shenandoah Villas
Regal Vistas at Massanutten
The Summit at Massanutten
Woodstone at Massanutten
Spotsylvania
Presidential Resort at Chancellorsville
Florida
Fort Lauderdale
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort
Silver Seas
Hollywood
Enchanted Isle Resort
Hollywood Beach Tower
Kissimmee
Club Sevilla
Florida Vacation Villas
Grand Lake Resort
Lago Vista at Buenaventura Lakes
Lifetime of Vacations Resort at Grand Lake Resort
Magic Tree Resort
Villas at Fortune Place
Orlando
Vacation Village at Parkway
Palm Beach Shores
Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas
Poinciana
Alhambra at Poinciana
Alhambra Villas at Poinciana
Pompano Beach
Canada House Beach Club
Lighthouse Cove Resort
Sunny Isles Beach
Golden Strand Ocean Villa Resort
Weston
Mizner Place at Weston Town Center
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Vacation Village at Weston
Massachusetts
Hancock
Vacation Village at the Berkshires
Pittsfield
Berkshire Mountain Lodge
Nevada
Lake Tahoe
Club Tahoe
Las Vegas
The Cliffs at Peace Canyon
The Grandview at Las Vegas
The Jockey Club
The Berkley, Las Vegas - Opening Soon!
Stateline
The Lodge at Kingsbury Crossing
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Tree Tops Resort
Pigeon Forge
Oakmont Resort
Sunrise Ridge Resort

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So she has! Isn't THAT Special! :)

I agree - I like to see a newbie join right away, because the members only features are really helpful when you are new.

Last edited:

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that this is not the most valuable week. But it is what it is. This week 23 should be the first FULL week in June. It will be pretty hot in Vegas, but not unbearable. I would make the best of it, and at least try it the first couple of cycles (2018/2020) before exchanging. That is the cheapest way to own a vacation week. Then, if you have more vacation time available, check out shoulder season availability on RCI Last Calls. As tschwa2 said, those are full weeks made available within 45 days of check in, and are cash rentals, for (currently) $219 for most 1 BRs. My experience has been that during the school year, if you can swing it, availability is not too difficult, especially in overbuilt places. Vegas, Orlando, Williamsburg, Branson, Mexico. Easy peazy.

Stick around TUG. Do some reading. If you are interested in looking at resort reviews, invest (OK blow) $15 on joining and becoming a member of TUG. That's what reviews cost. Your 16 TPUs eoy are not going to go too far in exchanging, but it's a start.

Welcome to TUG

Jim

Thanks Jim, very sound advice from you and the others. Since I already blew the wad on the original timeshare it seemed like $15 dollars was a no brainer for all the expert advice and to be able to ask my silly uninformed questions.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score

Welcome to TUG

Jim

I assume "shoulder season" means non peak travel times?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I assume "shoulder season" means non peak travel times?

Yes - in general, shoulder season is late spring and fall. Usually April - May, and Sept. - Dec. except for holiday weeks.

Is your RCI account set up?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She is a he :) but I had help on my user name from my lovely other half. :)

Sorry - "Shells" just sounds like a female - like Shelly, or Michelle. You can change it if you want.

Or just create a signature line with your first name in it - it will post automatically. (see mine in pink below)

To create a signature line, click on User CP in the blue bar at the top of the page. You can also add an avatar by choosing one from the TUG list, or uploading one of your own. (Note the size limit if you upload one.)

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. Not exactly 'off season' like Oct. or April at a ski resort, or a New England beach resort in January. A month or so away from prime time.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oops.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - in general, shoulder season is late spring and fall. Usually April - May, and Sept. - Dec. except for holiday weeks.

Is your RCI account set up?

Yes RCI account is setup, browsed around there but still trying to figure out everything.