• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Owner/Hawaii Question

JTurner538

Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased 4200 points and got 8400 bonus points. My wife will be finishing her doctoral degree and would like to go to Hawaii to celebrate during the summer of 2019. How hard will it be to book a Hawaii HGVC? I'm willing to be online at 9 months from our checkout date at midnight on the dot. If I do so, will I have a good shot at booking a Hawaii resort?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Which island, Big Island or Oahu?

JTurner538

Reaction score
Oahu. We'd like a resort close to the beach if at all possible. We'd take any HGVC resort if it came down to it, but would like to be close if possible.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try Lagoon Tower, Kalia and Grand Waikikian at the 9-month mark. Then try Grand Islander and Hokulani at 6 months out. You can also keep checking for cancellations, if the dates you want aren't immediately available. It's a challenge, but doable.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd say with 4800 + 8400 bonus points, you'll more than likely easily get a 1 BR at Lagoon Tower in May. You may end up having to get a 1 BR Plus unit, but it should be doable. I'm having "fun" with Jan/Feb 2018 for 1 BR at the moment. 1 BR Plus, no problemo, but I don't want to spend 7000 points almost on it.

JTurner538

Reaction score
I'm a teacher and my wife is in higher education, so the earliest we could travel would be the 2nd week of June. Think we'll still be good?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
My wife and I recently purchased 4200 points and got 8400 bonus points. My wife will be finishing her doctoral degree and would like to go to Hawaii to celebrate during the summer of 2019. How hard will it be to book a Hawaii HGVC? I'm willing to be online at 9 months from our checkout date at midnight on the dot. If I do so, will I have a good shot at booking a Hawaii resort?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I think you will be fine at the 9 month mark getting an HGVC booking for the two of you at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which includes the Lagoon Tower, Kalia Tower and the Grand Waikikian.

However, I thought that Bonus Points have an expiration date which I believe may be sooner than the summer of 2019.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I will advise you that bonus and regular points don't mix. I mean that they can not be used in the same reservations. They could be used in two separate reservations to form a longer reservation. Of course this will require two reservation fees also.

Tamaradarann is correct in saying that bonus points usually expire after two years. This thread contains more information. (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...date-book-or-travel-date.254307/#post-1992501).

JTurner538

Reaction score
The bonus points actually don't hit our account until September and expire in March of 2019. As I understand it, as long as we BOOK by then (even if we won't actually travel until June of 2019) we should be good. Is that correct?

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are flexible on the days that you travel, you will be ok. If you need to plan for June 15 as the first day of travel, log in nine months prior and if nothing is available, log on the next day and plan June 16 as your first day of travel. If all you see is a one bedroom, but you want a studio, take the one bedroom and change that later to a studio if you can get it. You will be able to get what you want if you keep working at it. You can use 2019 points and borrow 2020 points and be fine. The studios usually cost half as many points as a one bedroom. So one bedrooms are great, but if only two people are traveling, a studio should meet your needs. I think Lagoon Tower is the best place to stay if you want to be close to the beach. The other towers are good too, but I think Lagoon has bigger studios.

Other people are experts on this forum about how to use points. Using bonus points or maybe paying to save 2018 points is a trick. Ask that question if needed, but figure out how long you want to stay and points needed and use available bonus points or 2018 points before 2019.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
As I understand it, as long as we BOOK by then (even if we won't actually travel until June of 2019) we should be good. Is that correct?

Yes.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you have some flexibility on your dates, then you should be fine. If you have specific dates, then I would suggest that you "walk the reservation".

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, I just learned this from the FB group:

As GT75 mentioned you can't combine your Bonus points and HGVC points on the same reservation. BUT, apparently you can book them "together" and still get your 1 week.

Example:
You book 3 nights with bonus points (Let's pretend Sunday-Wed). Then you book Wed-Sunday with regular points. Obviously there will be two fees, but sometimes if you call, Hilton will waive the 2nd booking fee. At least they did for me when I needed 1 week in Orlando and the only way to get it was 3 nights at Tuscany and 4 nights in Parc Soleil, so the lady booked it all over the phone and only charged me the one booking fee.

JTurner538

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of your help. We'll actually be looking to book a 2 bedroom unit, but I feel much more confident. Now, to look up "walk the reservation."

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all of your help. We'll actually be looking to book a 2 bedroom unit, but I feel much more confident. Now, to look up "walk the reservation."

I think June you'll be in really good chances especially for a 2 BR.

Anyway, example of walking the reservation.
I'm trying to book a 1 BR in Lagoon Tower for Feb 2018.
Since I don't own there, I can only book 9 months out.

So like about 2 weeks ago, 2018 started opening up for me. I have to book a min. of 3 nights.
Let's pretend there's actually availability (ha!) for Jan 3-6th (3 nights). And let's pretend that Jan 6th is the farthest out I can book.
So I snag the 3 nights.
At midnight (Eastern Time), the "window" opens up. So I stay up late, and at a minute before, I get my "change reservation" all prepared to modify the check-out date to be January 7th.

Bam! Midnight hights, so I change it to Jan 7th (assuming it's available) and now I've added one more night to my 3 nights, so now I have 4 nights.

Repeat until you have 7 nights.

Alternatively, you can either keep modifying your 3 nights (using example above) to be: Jan 4 - Jan 7th. Then the next day, Jan 5-Jan 8th and so on until you get your desired check-in date and then keep trying to add on the days.

Unfortunately I'm wanting prime season (June is not, so you have good chance, IMO) and secondly, 1 BR units are much in demand vs. the 2 BR (at least for my time period that I need/want).

Anyway, hopefully I explained "walking" the reservation properly.

There's other alternatives like:
If you cant' find a 1 BR (again, above example) grab a studio or some other size if it's available and then keep checking at midnight to modify to the room you want.

Just because you don't see something one night doesn't mean it won't show up the next. Others are doing the same thing.

Personally I prefer Lagoon tower over Kalia Suites, but that's me.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
At HHV whenever the kids are out of school is prime time.

For the summer months, some schools get out earlier and some go back later but the heavy overlap is from late June through mid August. Most families will be looking to book the two bedroom units. On Oahu, there are only two bedrooms units at 3 out of 5 possible locations (Lagoon Tower, Grand Waikikian Tower and Grand Islander Tower). Since the Lagoon Tower has the lowest point requirements it will book up first. Definitely walk the reservation and expect competition.

At the 9 month mark, all owners have an equal chance to book any size unit, in any view for any length of time (3 night minimum) therefore whoever books the quickest gets whatever is available.
NOTE: During peak season, the leftovers weeks may not be available in all unit sizes and views. Also, you may have to change rooms if there isn't a single room available for the entire length of your stay.

Additional information

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch

How recently? 4200 seems like an off-season money pit.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Anyway, example of walking the reservation.

Thanks for explaining walking the reservation. There just isn't an easy short explaination for that. Maybe we will add to our upcoming sticky on FAQs. That way we could all just point to it.

I wanted to add another thing which I do for club reservations requiring specific dates or accommodations. About two weeks {usually I check this several times actually} before the club reservation window opens up, I check the availability online for those dates. If the system shows availability, then I am expecting that "walking the reservation" will work. Now, I only do this for a few specific reservations such as ski trip or beach with grandkids during summer break. I am flexible for most of my reservations.

Maybe that is obvious to everyone.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some questions about walking for HGVC.

First, this is commonly done for DVC where there are no reservation/change fees and no penalties for changing a reservation to use fewer points in terms of point use.

For HGVC (and please correct any misconceptions):

1. Isn't there a fee each time a reservation is changed? We own at W. 57th and have the option (which we take) of paying like $129 for the year and have no reservation or change fees on any bookings, so I've walked (when it turned out not be be necessary) with no fee...so not as sure of this.

2. If one changes a reservation to use fewer points, don't they go into a different state of being that is less advantageous? So, it walking across a weekend, points would go up, then down. Maybe, since they'll go up again for the final reservation all works out OK? On our walk, I made sure to be same to increasing for the short walk so, again, not sure here.

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Some questions about walking for HGVC.

Good question. I will provide my understand of changeable reservations. If I have misconceptions of the rules, then please correct.

From the HGVC rules on CHANGES AND CANCELLATIONS.

All Home Resort, by Hilton Club Priority exchange and Club reservations using ClubPoints at Hilton Grand Vacations Club affiliated resorts may be changed without incurring additional transaction fees provided travel is completed during the same calendar year (not applicable to reservations using Bonus Points).

If the reservation change uses the same or a greater number of ClubPoints required for the stay, the change may be made up to one (1) day prior to check-in. If the reservation change decreases the number of ClubPoints required for the stay, the change may be made without penalty up to 31 days in advance of the check-in date. Within 30 days prior to arrival, no changes can be made and the standard cancellation policy applies.

So I read the rules as requiring no additional fees if the changeable reservation is changed prior to 31 days before the check-in date.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There aren't any different "states" of HGVC points, only types.

You can't "walk" Bonus points or combine with Club Points, all bonus point reservations are non-changeable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
And you can't walk a reservation over into a NEW year. Problematic if you are wanting NYE and nights into the next year.

You can originally book a reservation that spans into next year and it uses this years points, BUT once booked, trying to add additional days will make it an invalid change, and the system will not allow it. I ran into this a few weeks ago booking a week that spanned over NYE. I know of at least 1 person here on TUG lost a New Years Day unit they wanted because of this system constraint.

It can be done by calling and having HGVC waive the second fee and book it as two reservations. But realize that HGVC phone systems has schedules that do not align with 24/7, and remember they are closed on Sundays and Holidays.