• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New here - own two Marriott weeks in Orlando

moebug

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We have owned our timeshares for some time now and used them quite a bit a few years back. These last couple of years we have not used our weeks and even had a couple of deposits expire without redeeming them :( I can't decide if it is best to keep both weeks or try to sell at least one or both. We also lack major knowledge on how to best use the exchange system. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? There is so much info here!

Thank you for any response you may have.

Maura

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you aren't using them

Then you may want to consider selling one or both.
I want to warn you in advance, they value today is much less than even a couple of years ago, and please don't fall victim to any upfront fee company that claims to have buyer at Huge $$$$ if you only pay them the ( assorted fee/names) they can get started. If you would like to know how much yours are worth, check out Ebay for your resort, then click on completed sales. That will show you what they are actually selling for in today's market. Best of luck, Greg

Hi everyone,

We have owned our timeshares for some time now and used them quite a bit a few years back. These last couple of years we have not used our weeks and even had a couple of deposits expire without redeeming them :( I can't decide if it is best to keep both weeks or try to sell at least one or both. We also lack major knowledge on how to best use the exchange system. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? There is so much info here!

Maura

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Maura

How has your vacation style changed in the last couple of years? If you want to keep the timeshare weeks and exchange into other locations, you can join an exchange company (e.g., Interval International, SFX, etc), reserve highly desirable weeks at your resort in order to receive maximum trading power, and deposit your weeks to exchange into a different resort. You may also engage in private exchanges with other timeshare owners who desire to stay at your resort. By now, you should have received information from Marriott about joining the Destination Club - yet another option for extracting value from your weeks.

moebug

Reaction score
How has your vacation style changed in the last couple of years? If you want to keep the timeshare weeks and exchange into other locations, you can join an exchange company (e.g., Interval International, SFX, etc), reserve highly desirable weeks at your resort in order to receive maximum trading power, and deposit your weeks to exchange into a different resort. You may also engage in private exchanges with other timeshare owners who desire to stay at your resort. By now, you should have received information from Marriott about joining the Destination Club - yet another option for extracting value from your weeks.

Thanks for the responses. After I told my husband that we wouldn't get much he said why bother selling them - we'll just use them. My issue is not completely understanding the system with II and when to deposit etc. I emailed someone at Marriott but I'm going to have to give them a call.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not let Marriott select the weeks to deposit in II. For maximum trade power, reserve a highly desirable week such as spring break, Easter break, fourth of July, thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. Depositing early (> 9 months before the reservation begins) maximizes trade power. With II, you pay a lower exchange fee to exchange into other Marriott properties.

Being flexible is the key to a successful exchange. For example, if you only want an exchange into Hawaii, then it is best to provide a wide range of acceptable dates. On the other hand, your desired exchange dates are limited, it is best to provide a number of acceptable exchange destinations.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
here's an example. go to the II website here:

http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=MGO&parentResortCode=MGO

(but at your home resort, naturally.)

click on the link marked "Travel Demand Index" to get a measure of which weeks are more in demand.

then call a year or so in advance to book one of the higher demand weeks that you are eligible for. that will give you the best trade value.

then you can deposit that week in II and start looking for trades - starting from the date of the deposit up to 2 years after the date of the stay you are depositing. (so if you book a mid-march week for 2013 and deposit that, you can look for stays from now through mid-march 2015.)

hang out on TUG...read through random threads that look interesting...do some searches to get a better idea

here are a couple of links you might want to bookmark:

Marriott Timeshare FAQs and ...how to search II with your Marriott.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that if you bought directly from Marriott, you can turn your weeks in for Marriott points. The better option is to use your week but with two weeks, turning them in for points would give you an amazing amount of marriott reward points, and then you could get lots of airline miles and hotel stays, etc...

If you bought from Marriott you have some nice options, beside using your week.