• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help- WPORV Offer

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just offerred WPORV EOY (even 2008) for $24,300 with 100k Starpoints to requal my EY WKORV 2BR OFD and a WPORV EOY (odd 2009) for $24,300 with additional 100k Starpoints to requal my Harborside 2BR LO PL. This offer (using an EOY to requal an EY) was contrary to what I was just told Starwoods new policy was as of May 4th. These purchases will finally put me to 5* with 740k Staroptions and would bring all of my deeds fully within Starwood network. They would not sell me one EY deed to requal both; I tried very hard!

My question is this: What is the difference between owning 2 EOY vs. 1 EY? I have never paid too much attention to this as I never intended to have any EOY. I would appreciate any input on this issue.

BTW, it has been a very busy first half of 2007 purchasing what might end up being 6 different TS deeds. I hope to be done with this soon so that I can enjoy them all.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was just offerred WPORV EOY (even 2008) for $24,300 with 100k Starpoints to requal my EY WKORV 2BR OFD and a WPORV EOY (odd 2009) for $24,300 with additional 100k Starpoints to requal my Harborside 2BR LO PL. This offer (using an EOY to requal an EY) was contrary to what I was just told Starwoods new policy was as of May 4th. These purchases will finally put me to 5* with 740k Staroptions and would bring all of my deeds fully within Starwood network. They would not sell me one EY deed to requal both; I tried very hard!

My question is this: What is the difference between owning 2 EOY vs. 1 EY? I have never paid too much attention to this as I never intended to have any EOY. I would appreciate any input on this issue.

BTW, it has been a very busy first half of 2007 purchasing what might end up being 6 different TS deeds. I hope to be done with this soon so that I can enjoy them all.

Sounds great -
Are you also using a same day ExpPkg to get even more SPs? (as to break another so-called SVO policy)

You only need 559K SOs to get to 5* Elite - why over shoot this amount by getting to 740K SOs total? Perhaps I am confused.

You own 296.2K SOs from SVO (WLR and WKV), and you are thinking of buying another 148.1K SOs via WPORV for a total of 444.3K SOs from SVO - correct?

Sounds like you could just requal one of the resales to get to 5* Elite (592.4K SOs). Since WKORV and Harborside are both 'M' resorts why would you need to requal them both to bring them into SVO/SVN? You could just buy EY WPORV and do this - and not have separate deeds (and pay the the extra charge of $25 per EOY if I recall correctly). Plus - are they charging you 2x the Title fees ($545 per unit)?

Is the idea to just go ahead and bring them all in? Not really needed since they are both 'M' resorts and you already have SVN membership with them. Is it to convert the SO to SPs - REALLY not worth it for the WKORV OFD (I know little about Harborside, but I can't imagine the SO-SP conversion is worth it there either).

Or - is there an an extra 100K SP incentive in doing this twice?

Overall - as you asked - there is a small fee (relative to what you have paid) for the EOY compared to EY (DeniseL knows this fee). Also, you may end up paying 2x for Title costs ($545 each) unless you can get them to waive these as Duke said he did.

Otherwise - why the heck not...

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks David and I welcome all others comments as well. The main purpose for bringing both WKORV and Harborside both into the network is to make sure that I get 5* benefits for all ownership weeks (early check in, late check out, ability to waitlist reservations, upgrade rooms, etc.). If you are telling me that I can do this as 5* at all resorts that I own (even resale) then I really don't care that much about bringing them all in the network. Can someone please answer this question: If you are 5* do you get the benefits for all ownerships weeks (even unqualified resales)?

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you buy a EY WPORV you get a 150k Starpoints incentive vs. 200k for two EOY. They are trying to still charge me the $545x2 for the deeds but I will obviously try to negotiate this. Thank you David for reminding me. Other than the $25 extra in MF, is there any other difference in owning two EOY vs. one EY?

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do it !!!!

Since you were going to buy the EY WPORV anyway, I say split them and requalify both your resales. You will have more flexibility of 1) combining staroptions to trade, splitting staroptions to make reservations less than 1 week long, and exchange for starpoints if ever necessary. There is no downside and, should you ever decide to sell, you will have more flexibility with 2 EOY's.

Grab this opportunity to get 200k starpoints incentive and become 5* ELITE.

I was able to get the closing costs waived on my last purchase. I think it was because it was the end of the month and they needed statistics. This is similar timing for you now......

Also, the closing costs relate to escrow fees mostly. You will receive a closing statement with a listing of exact costs. There is profit in these fees for SVO. At the very least, you should only have to pay one closing cost. You need to describe this transaction to SVO as "splitting the deed" not buying two EOY's.

Also, you should ask for the 10,000 starpoints that is given for the "tour incentive".

duke

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you David, Duke, and Glorian for you help and support on this. I got everything in writing today and put this on my AMEX to get more points. The contracts should be here later this week or the beginning of the week. Here is what was finally agreed to:

EOY 2008 WPORV $24,300, $545 closing costs, w/ 100k StarPoints to requalify my EY WKORV OFD 2BR.

EOY 2009 WPORV $24,300, closing costs waived, w/ 100k StarPoints to requalify my EY HRA PL 2BR LO.

I tried my darndest to get the Explorer Package added to one or both purchases but they actually walked away from the deal when I insisted. I guess that I will have to settle for the 200k that I got today.

If there is anything left out of this explanation please feel free to ask. I also plan to create a post to go through my experience of getting to 5*.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis