• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice Kierland or SVV about buying StarOptions or Week, etc.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I saw a Lagunamar 2 Bedroom Gold on Tugg but the OP I think PMd me (her message was vague) that the first two weeks in June 2017 were not available (as that was listed in the Gold time frame). So, I know Lagunamar is only Voluntary but the price was right. So, is it really that hard to book into Lagunamar? Is this an overall issue with Vistana not releasing units or weeks. Or am I completely just spoiled by Orlando (oversupply) and you really have to book these St. John, Hawaii, Lagunamar 12 months in advance? I read that you said you got in for the last week in March...was that a fluke or is that normal for availability.

I've only tried to reserve Lagunamar one time, for March, so can't say it's usually available for Spring break, late-March to early April.
I did make two separate reservations, the 2nd several days after the first.
However most times when I'm searching for another resort, the VSE reservation system will bring up alternate resort suggestions
for the same dates, and usually Lagunamar is one of them.
But I have no idea for weeks 51 & 52; better to assume NOT available as others have said.
I am only using star options to reserve, so am reserving at 8 months or less mark.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Looking at Lagunamar availability now for 51/52 and there are no single units available for seven nights. It shows no availability for Christmas week and there is availability for 52, but must be individual nights in different unit types as I can't find seven night availability. We are 11 months out. So I would say the chances of 51/52 at 8 months to be nill.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
While we are on the subject, I wonder if some of you can clarify some of the claims made on here.
How do you figure the cost per SO, higher at SVV vs. WKV? Are you going by the MF alone? I saw a unit at SVV which is a 2BR biennial, MF around $650. IF I only intend to bank the SO to use elsewhere, does it really matter which season it is? I would never stay at the resort and strictly bank options. Thanks in advance.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
While we are on the subject, I wonder if some of you can clarify some of the claims made on here.
How do you figure the cost per SO, higher at SVV vs. WKV? Are you going by the MF alone? I saw a unit at SVV which is a 2BR biennial, MF around $650. IF I only intend to bank the SO to use elsewhere, does it really matter which season it is? I would never stay at the resort and strictly bank options. Thanks in advance.
When you purchase a biennial, you get StarOptions every OTHER year, but you pay your maintenance fee EVERY year. So that's $1300. Plus, you pay your VSN membership fee of $145 every year as well.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
When you purchase a biennial, you get StarOptions every OTHER year, but you pay your maintenance fee EVERY year. So that's $1300. Plus, you pay your VSN membership fee of $145 every year as well.

But, with an annual, you still pay around $1000 every year. As far as total out of pocket costs, doesn't EOY save some money?

I suppose that part of my confusion is that we don't need all the SO every year. We already have enough for our trips, it's for bringing family every other year or so that we need an extra room.

As far as season, it does not matter which I buy if I an only interested in banking the options, correct? I've never bough resale, so just trying to make sure.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The season will affect how many star options you get. Lower season pays the same fees, but gets less SO.

But, with an annual, you still pay around $1000 every year. As far as total out of pocket costs, doesn't EOY save some money?

I suppose that part of my confusion is that we don't need all the SO every year. We already have enough for our trips, it's for bringing family every other year or so that we need an extra room.

As far as season, it does not matter which I buy if I an only interested in banking the options, correct? I've never bough resale, so just trying to make sure.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

EOY ownership will cost more if it is the only week you own. This is because you pay the $140 SVN fee every year, even when you don't have usage. You only save money with EOY because you don't get to use it every year. If you compare it point for point, EOY ownership is more expensive.

Annual 2BR 81K SO at SVV Bella has a MF of $1189.36. Add the $140 SVN fee and you pay $1329.36 for 81,000 SOs. That works out to $16.41 per 1000 StarOptions. If you look at EOY, you pay $594.68 in MF each year, plus $140 each year. So in total you pay $1469.36 to get to use the 81,000 SOs every other year. That works out to $18.14 per 1000 SOs. The only time an EOY week doesn't cost you more per SO is when it is your third or fourth ownership.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I also did not see mentioned here is, if your going to buy multiple weeks, look at the cost of the program itself. Take the SVN fee plus the maintenance and taxes you will have to pay each year and total that up. For multiple contracts you are probably looking at 2-3 thousand dollars a year, depending on how many you want to buy. Plus the cost of the week or weeks your buying. You have to decide if you can do better yourself going other ways like hotel rooms or renting timeshares where you want to go. It all depends on what value a timeshare like this with that cost is worth to you.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to go back to WLR regularly during their platinum season, then buying resale at WLR is a much cheaper ongoing MF option than buying SVV or WKV. Also, if you buy platinum season at WLR, you have a shot at booking Week 51/52 if you want to go during that period. Phase 1, 50% of those weeks were sold as event weeks, for Phase 2 100% were sold as event weeks. So there is 50% of Phase 1 availability that is open to those with Platinum season WLR owner.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
EOY ownership will cost more if it is the only week you own. This is because you pay the $140 SVN fee every year, even when you don't have usage. You only save money with EOY because you don't get to use it every year. If you compare it point for point, EOY ownership is more expensive.

Annual 2BR 81K SO at SVV Bella has a MF of $1189.36. Add the $140 SVN fee and you pay $1329.36 for 81,000 SOs. That works out to $16.41 per 1000 StarOptions. If you look at EOY, you pay $594.68 in MF each year, plus $140 each year. So in total you pay $1469.36 to get to use the 81,000 SOs every other year. That works out to $18.14 per 1000 SOs. The only time an EOY week doesn't cost you more per SO is when it is your third or fourth ownership.

I see your point, and the others, thanks again.

This would be our third week, and we were just looking for an inexpensive way(MF-wise) to add a few more options to supplement our vacations ( bigger unit, etc.)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

This would be our third week, and we were just looking for an inexpensive way(MF-wise) to add a few more options to supplement our vacations ( bigger unit, etc.)
MF wise, the most inexpensive way is WKV 1BR Platinum Plus 67,100 StarOption week. However, it will have a much higher up front cost than a SVV 81,000 2BR Prime week.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

If this is your third VSE week with SOs then there is no additional VSN fee, so take that out of the equation.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is your third VSE week with SOs then there is no additional VSN fee, so take that out of the equation.

Joining the conversation with a question regarding eoy - is it correct that the only extra expense with eoy is the annual VSE fee and any banking fee (if you wanted to spread the points out)? Are you saying that an ey Platinum Plus one bedroom is a smarter purchase than an eoy Platinum Plus 2 bedroom? Any idea if eoy properties at mandatory resorts generally sell at a premium or a discount vs. ey? Thanks!

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Depends on which resort you're comparing. Every year will always be cheaper since you pay the vsn every year no matter if you own ey or eoy. So you have to add in that cost of $140 even for the year you have no use.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Joining the conversation with a question regarding eoy . . . . . Any idea if eoy properties at mandatory resorts generally sell at a premium or a discount vs. ey? Thanks!

I've seen numerous listings which if closed at the listing price would be at a premium and numerous listings which if closed at the listing price would be at a discount. I have no idea of the eventual selling prices.

But if I wanted to buy an eoy, I would be looking at the ads where the seller would take a discount. Or eBay (note: buying on eBay requires substantial background knowledge plus due diligence).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Joining the conversation with a question regarding eoy - is it correct that the only extra expense with eoy is the annual VSE fee and any banking fee (if you wanted to spread the points out)? Are you saying that an ey Platinum Plus one bedroom is a smarter purchase than an eoy Platinum Plus 2 bedroom? Any idea if eoy properties at mandatory resorts generally sell at a premium or a discount vs. ey? Thanks!
It has been reported that some EOY weeks also carry an extra $30 fee in addition to the annual MF. I haven't seen it at SVV, but it is something to consider. You will have the $45 VSN fee every year even though it is an EOY week. So that will increase your costs. I really wouldn't consider a WKV large 1BR EOY. First they are hard to find and second, the 1BR premium has the highest MF per SO ratio at WKV. YOu are better to buy the small 1BR or a 2BR. They both have better ratios than the large 1BR. You might be better to consider a SVV 2BR Prime 81K unit over a WKV 81K Plat Plus 1BR.

2BR 81K SVV 2BR Prime EOY MF: $639.53. That works out to $15.80 per 1000 SOs
1BR 81K WKV Premium Plat+ EOY MF: $503.79. That works out to $12.44 per 1000 SOs
2BR 148.1K WKV Plat + EOY MF: $797.39. That works out to $10.77 per 1000 SOs

While the 2BR WKV is a lot better ratio, it comes with a very steep upfront cost. The 1BR is somewhat the same with a high purchase price. As was mentioned in another thread, you could possibly save the upfront costs and save that money and make up the difference in opportunity costs.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
This site is an amazing, incredibly helpful resource! I am on the west coast so considering WKV. First TS purchase so thinking of buying eoy to keep total out of pocket upfront and ongoing costs low to test things out even though I understand may not be as "efficient" as ey. Thanks.

When you say an eBay purchase requires due diligence, I assume that means you have to manage the whole process on your own (title transfer, etc.). Other risks?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
This site is an amazing, incredibly helpful resource! I am on the west coast so considering WKV. First TS purchase so thinking of buying eoy to keep total out of pocket upfront and ongoing costs low to test things out even though I understand may not be as "efficient" as ey. Thanks.

When you say an eBay purchase requires due diligence, I assume that means you have to manage the whole process on your own (title transfer, etc.). Other risks?

eBay is a jungle. Sellers often mis-represent what they are selling (presumably unintentionally). Are the unit and season really as described? Are there overdue maintenance fees? Has usage been banked? Are there hidden fees (such as the seller's captive escrow company)? What is the seller's reputation for making good when the description was accidentally incorrect?

Due diligence on a Kierland eBay auction requires knowledge of Kierland seasons and units, Vistana's "Resale Information Sheet", competent independent transfer agents, and eBay sellers, as well as market price.

If this is your first purchase, I suggest working with a broker; fwiw, our first purchase was a brokered Kierland unit.

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Dan,
Like vacationtime has said, it can be a little painful on eBay. But I recently got my second unit from eBay, in which the seller was a broker. The only thing I find that they list wrong is, maintenance fees.
I guess they rely on the client to give it to them, but most list the maintenance fees with the vsn fee included.

Also when you're ready, find out what the going rate is of a resale on here by asking. Good luck.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

We bought one of our weeks off EBay. With many of the EBay sellers, you simply can't use your own closing agent. In a lot of cases the seller is also doing the closing or may actually have a signed deed already that they just need to add in the buyers information. The problem with a lot of the listings is incorrect MF information or they don't know if they are selling a mandatory week or not. I have found many of them more than willing to send me a copy of the estoppel letter. So at least you can check that everything looks okay from that standpoint.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like first time through I should stick with a reputable broker. Next time through might try the ebay adventure

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like first time through I should stick with a reputable broker. Next time through might try the ebay adventure
I don't know how important a reputable broker is. Even many brokers want you to use their selected closing company. The best way would be to find a private seller and pick your own closing company, like LTT. I bought a week off of Redweek and it was listed by a broker, but closed through their selected company. I suspect that they were really selling a week that had been taken in on a "trade in". Many of the SVV weeks that are sold through Redweek and Ebay are done so by agents working for companies that either take then in from trade ins or they are part of the post card company (PCC) system where owners pay thousands of dollars to have someone take a week off their hands.

DanTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how important a reputable broker is. Even many brokers want you to use their selected closing company. The best way would be to find a private seller and pick your own closing company, like LTT. I bought a week off of Redweek and it was listed by a broker, but closed through their selected company. I suspect that they were really selling a week that had been taken in on a "trade in". Many of the SVV weeks that are sold through Redweek and Ebay are done so by agents working for companies that either take then in from trade ins or they are part of the post card company (PCC) system where owners pay thousands of dollars to have someone take a week off their hands.

Interesting. Thanks.