• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Advice Kierland or SVV about buying StarOptions or Week, etc.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
My head is spinning from trying to understand all of these options. So, please excuse my ignorance I have really really tried to understand all of the details an nuances of this system without much luck I'm afraid. So, I'm needing advice. Here are my circumstances.

We would need at least a 2 bedroom most times of the year (maybe a 1 bedroom would work?) We generally travel for 10-14 days in an ocean type vacation usually in June/July most years. I have small children under the age of 7. Lagunamar, St. John, am very interested in. We just went to Maui last year and don't expect to be going back anytime soon as the flight was SO SO long for my small kids. My husband loves to play golf so that's a consideration. We also usually go on a 1 week trip right after Christmas. I'm assuming this is a Platinum week. And, sometimes we like to travel during Spring Break/Thanksgiving. So, I'm assuming I would need enough points to plan at least one week per year during High Season (when school is out) and hopefully, enough points for at least one other week (preferably more like 10-14 days) in June/July. We may visit the same resort a few times but wouldn't be booking the same resort for every trip. I think that would get a little old to my husband/kids, etc. Renting out points wouldn't be a factor for us right now as we enjoy traveling and travel almost every chance we get.

I've read all the buy into Kierland or SVV discussions and am very confused. So, I understand I need to buy in a "mandatory" resort. But, don't know if I should shoot for the low MF fees at Kierland or the low cost to buy in at SVV? I'm thinking I would need at least the 148,000 points?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated on how many points I should buy and from which resort, etc.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Good to see that you are considering resale and doing your due diligence (research).
You will get many opinions here, but always remember that your vacation needs are different than others.

You ask good questions - you didn't mention your location, but assume you are on east coast.

Generally, when you are traveling during high demand periods (e.g. Xmas, Prez Day, Spring Beak/Easter, TDay week, etc) it is best to buy where you want to go as StarOption (SO) exchanges at 8 months and less are certainly challenging (to nonexistent). Also, you cannot rent out SOs for non-HomeResort reservations - you can only rent out HomeResort reservations.

I agree that getting more than 81K SO is important for at least a 1Bd - and 148.1K SO for a 2Bd LO.

However, the max SO at SVV (2Bd LO Mandatory) is 95.7K. So if you are looking for more SOs (I agree), then you will need to consider 2Bd WKV (Plat+) or buy 2 SVVs. However, WKV is not cheap (~$14K), but the good news is that WKV Plat+ holds it's value for the most part (at least they have for 10 years), and they can be rented for >MF during Plat+ season (Spring Training) - reason why WKV Plat+ is not cheap. There is value however, when the TS is within a reasonable driving distance - especially with kids. So that may limit you.

You could consider WSJ-VGV, but these are fixed weeks. The MFs have held steady for WSJ-VGV - so the Plat+/Plat seasons offer a reasonable SO/MF ratio.
There are no golf course on StJ, and only one on StT.

The amount of disposable income (now and future) is also important. I consider my TSs to be lost money (even though most have resale value) - this makes it easier to walk away if needed.

You will find SO purchase to be best when not traveling at peak times.

Good luck.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, David. Ok that def helps me a good deal. We are in Mississippi and have a moderate (if there is such a thing LOL) amount of disposable income. We travel frequently now and expect to continue to do so in at least the foreseeable future....10 years. My husband doesn't always play golf, but he does always like to have a deep sea fishing trip (at least once per year). So, what I'm understanding is that I should plan on buying enough contracts so we can have at least the 148K either via a WKV plat+ or maybe 2 SVV. And, maybe get a different contract actually with a fixed week to use at a "home resort" to use during peak travel maybe at Lagunamar (they do have golf, quick flight from Houston). But, we've been to WSJ and really loved it so we should consider WSJ-VGV. Do you know what's the situation with the kitchens in St. John? We would only want to buy somewhere with a full kitchen....not sure what's going on with these kitchenettes but with small kids cooking in the villa is one of the reasons we want a villa and not a hotel room (I know everyone's needs are different). But, do you know which buildings offer kitchens? If not, I'm sure I can find that somewhere.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All WSJ-VGV villas have full kitchens - ours (2Bd TH) even has a full oven. Keep in mind they are fixed villas and fixed weeks (including checkin) and while they can float at 8-10 months (Owners period) - it is very uncommon. Also, pay attention to Property Tax (billed separately) and the USVI proposed TS fee.

Lagunamar should be an easy exchange into as long as not high demand week. Lagunamar is not VSN Mandatory - so if you plan to buy resale there - plan to use it.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I purchased a Lagunamar fixed Christmas week last year and we spent a week there in December. I think it is my favorite resort. It's not Mandatory, but you can rent it for about $2500 over maintenance when you don't use it. Mine is already rented for 2017. You might keep an eye out for a New Year's week. I was lucky and stumbled on a cheap one that was listed by a broker. The units are beautiful as is the resort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you are looking at 2BR Platinum Plus (148K) WKV, there 2 weeks asking for 12.5K each currently at thetimeshareking.com

I was curious about this - there is only 1 listed for sale that is a 2Bd LO Plat+ and is listed at $16.5K. The other (81K SO) is Gold - call for price.

If 2Bd LO (Plat+, 148.1K SO) really sold at $12.5K - then they were severely underpriced based on going rates at other TS websites - and historic prices.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Lagunamar fixed Christmas week last year and we spent a week there in December. I think it is my favorite resort. It's not Mandatory, but you can rent it for about $2500 over maintenance when you don't use it. Mine is already rented for 2017. You might keep an eye out for a New Year's week. I was lucky and stumbled on a cheap one that was listed by a broker. The units are beautiful as is the resort.

Suzanne - I have a Redweek account is that the best for me to look?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Renting a few times may be a good strategy. You will find out where works for you and where doesn't (such as Maui). You will find out what amenities are important and which ones don't matter. When and if you buy, it will be a very informed decision. Remember: no hurry; prices aren't going up.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting a few times may be a good strategy. You will find out where works for you and where doesn't (such as Maui). You will find out what amenities are important and which ones don't matter. When and if you buy, it will be a very informed decision. Remember: no hurry; prices aren't going up.

Good advice....Just thinking that if I went ahead and purchased two SVV contracts; I would spend less than what we pay in rent for this year's June/July trip. Plus, we actually do go to Orlando often because of Disney so SVV seems like it makes alot of sense. We haven't really been on a trip yet that we didn't enjoy....we even loved Maui. Just the trip over and back was HORRIBLE with the small kids. I think our travel time was somewhere around 10-12 hrs. each way. Not sure Maui is in our future plans for the moment (it was my third time, the kids first) at least until the kids get a little older. Honestly, we haven't been to a Westin property we didn't love.

I know SVV has the downside of being in Orlando with the huge number of timeshares. So, I assume resell is just horrible. But, I'm wondering what's the other downside of SVV. With the trading situation, what are the problems with owning SVV? If we own 2 SVV contracts would we not be able to trade into a 2 bedroom at the other resorts like Lagunamar or St. John?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I know SVV has the downside of being in Orlando with the huge number of timeshares. So, I assume resell is just horrible. But, I'm wondering what's the other downside of SVV. With the trading situation, what are the problems with owning SVV? If we own 2 SVV contracts would we not be able to trade into a 2 bedroom at the other resorts like Lagunamar or St. John?
A StarOption is a StarOption. It doesn't matter the source. The main issue with SVV is that the MF per SO is higher than it is for the Platinum Plus weeks at WKV. In some cases $4-$5 more per 1000 StarOptions higher at SVV. Resale is low, but you are buying it low and as long as you buy a Prime season week at SVV, you should be able to fairly easily sell it or give it away. You won't be out a lot of money.

I think the biggest problem you will have is trying to use StarOptions for the times you want to travel. Prime weeks are usually always booked up by weeks owners. I would say you can certainly count out traveling the week after Christmas using StarOptions just about anywhere in the Vistana system. If you want to travel during peak time, you will have to spend a lot more money to buy where and when you want to travel. You could also consider other systems such as Marriott. However, you will again pay a lot of money to get either points or a week. Timeshares are great and you can get good deals if you can travel during shoulder or off season. But there are few deals when you need to travel during peak times to prime resorts.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Good advice....Just thinking that if I went ahead and purchased two SVV contracts; I would spend less than what we pay in rent for this year's June/July trip. Plus, we actually do go to Orlando often because of Disney so SVV seems like it makes alot of sense. We haven't really been on a trip yet that we didn't enjoy....we even loved Maui. Just the trip over and back was HORRIBLE with the small kids. I think our travel time was somewhere around 10-12 hrs. each way. Not sure Maui is in our future plans for the moment (it was my third time, the kids first) at least until the kids get a little older. Honestly, we haven't been to a Westin property we didn't love.

Lagunamar is not available for weeks 51 and 52, owners booked the weeks within seconds of the inventory opening up. Also, St John winter weeks would not be avaialable either using StarOptions. The fall would be ok, but its storm season. You need to do the payback calculation on the MFs vs lower price. If you are going to use the options and not try to rent out the Home resort use, then I think SVV is a great choice for the initial investment. Plus, you have the advantage of usage there and a 12 month booking window. You could aslo consider a 3 bedroom at SVV. You would get 139,700 StarOptions in the highest season there. Remember to look only at the mandatory phases of SVV.
Good luck.
Markus

Last edited:

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
All great advice and I think I have much clearer understanding. So, to clarify...for our annual June/July trip. It's very likely I can use StarOptions to trade into a more prime resort. I'll need about 148K+ if I'm wanting a 2 bedroom. And, my best options will be mandatory phases like 1 2 bedroom WKV plat+ (higher upfront cost, lower mf) or 2 SVV contracts (lower upfront cost, higher annual mf).

Getting in during Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Wk 52 will not likely happen with StarOptions so I should look at actually purchasing at one of the higher prime resorts I like for that week. If I do, WSJ-VGV (it's VSN Mandatory) is a really good option and maybe Lagunamar (since its not VSN Mandatory I can't trade the week, but I might could rent it).

Hoping that's a pretty good synopsis of my options. Please feel free to correct anything if I've misstated it.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice. As I said, my head was spinning from all the posts I was reading....this has really helped to narrow options.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I was curious about this - there is only 1 listed for sale that is a 2Bd LO Plat+ and is listed at $16.5K. The other (81K SO) is Gold - call for price.

If 2Bd LO (Plat+, 148.1K SO) really sold at $12.5K - then they were severely underpriced based on going rates at other TS websites - and historic prices.
They were there, they are showing as sold. You can still see the listings, but they have a big sold sign across them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

See the 2 listings 2897 and 2898 on thetimeshareking.com

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
See the 2 listings 2897 and 2898 on thetimeshareking.com
I was seeing 2880 and 2881. Looks like there was another sold at $12.5, 2371. Looks like they list almost all the 148,100 SO WKV at $12.5K

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why I am I seeing something different for the TimeShareKing? I see one at $16.5K - must be my browser ;)
Doesn't matter - I already have 2 WKV Plat+ - paid for themselves - and can use for HI in 2018 (2017 are rented)
If someone buys 2Bd WKV Plat+ at $12.5K - please post here. @Glorian used to track these.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why I am I seeing something different for the TimeShareKing? I see one at $16.5K - must be my browser ;)
If someone buys one at $12.5K - please post here...
Search by the listing numbers that VacationForever posted. Also, if you sort by price in descending order and go to page 2, you will see the listings being referenced.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
All great advice and I think I have much clearer understanding. So, to clarify...for our annual June/July trip. It's very likely I can use StarOptions to trade into a more prime resort. I'll need about 148K+ if I'm wanting a 2 bedroom. And, my best options will be mandatory phases like 1 2 bedroom WKV plat+ (higher upfront cost, lower mf) or 2 SVV contracts (lower upfront cost, higher annual mf).

Getting in during Spring Break, Thanksgiving, or Wk 52 will not likely happen with StarOptions so I should look at actually purchasing at one of the higher prime resorts I like for that week. If I do, WSJ-VGV (it's VSN Mandatory) is a really good option and maybe Lagunamar (since its not VSN Mandatory I can't trade the week, but I might could rent it).

Hoping that's a pretty good synopsis of my options. Please feel free to correct anything if I've misstated it.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the advice. As I said, my head was spinning from all the posts I was reading....this has really helped to narrow options.

Depends on the resort. Trading into Harborside, St. John or Hawaii can be difficult in June/July, you will probably need to reserve online right at midnight for any chance. Others who have been trying to get into Harborside or Maui have seen no inventory when the window opens up. Harborside this year is a maintenace issue with them re-vamping certain buildings. St John is always difficult to get into except in Sept - early Nov (rainy season/low season restaurants closed)

I, like David, own a 2 BR TH in VGV, love it. Watch the resale boards on TUG as well I picked up my WSJ week on TUG. David has a better unit than I do though!! :p :D

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Make sure at SVV you look at Bella and key west phases as they are the only mandatory confirm they are platinum and come with staroptions upon resell

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Search by the listing numbers that VacationForever posted. Also, if you sort by price in descending order and go to page 2, you will see the listings being referenced.

I did see all WKV offers (both sold and for sale - 2 pages). Like Redweek and eBay - claiming a sale is not the same an actual sale. I do see one 2Bd WKV Plat+ - but at $16.5K - quite a difference. I believe the lowest reported on TUG has been $14.5K confirmed. Have there been lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Hoping that's a pretty good synopsis of my options. Please feel free to correct anything if I've misstated it.....

If you reserve at 8 months or a little less, you can get the Scottsdale AZ or Palm Springs CA area resorts during weeks 51 or 52 with star options.
I've not tried to book a whole week, but have gotten what I need, 4-6 days for the past 2 years.
I reserved Lagunamar for my son's spring break (1 week) at end of March; but breaks vary depending upon school system, K-12 vs college.
Orlando, Vistana Resort, is usually full up during Prez's day week; and has its share of fighting for lounge chairs per the pool staff :D

If you do later buy a TS, advise you to get a 2BR since you have small kids, and of course, platinum season.

Depends on the resort. Trading into Harborside, St. John or Hawaii can be difficult in June/July, you will probably need to reserve online right at midnight for any chance. Others who have been trying to get into Harborside or Maui have seen no inventory when the window opens up. Harborside this year is a maintenace issue with them re-vamping certain buildings. St John is always difficult to get into except in Sept - early Nov (rainy season/low season restaurants closed) ... :p :D

I agree St John or Hawaii is really tough in summer months. Size wise I see more studios for Hawaii and only 2 BRs for St John.
I haven't tried for Harborside. Kauai is easier to get in the fall, but then there's higher chance of storms/rain since Princeville is on the north side.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw a Lagunamar 2 Bedroom Gold on Tugg but the OP I think PMd me (her message was vague) that the first two weeks in June 2017 were not available (as that was listed in the Gold time frame). So, I know Lagunamar is only Voluntary but the price was right. So, is it really that hard to book into Lagunamar? Is this an overall issue with Vistana not releasing units or weeks. Or am I completely just spoiled by Orlando (oversupply) and you really have to book these St. John, Hawaii, Lagunamar 12 months in advance? I read that you said you got in for the last week in March...was that a fluke or is that normal for availability.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I did see all WKV offers (both sold and for sale - 2 pages). Like Redweek and eBay - claiming a sale is not the same an actual sale. I do see one 2Bd WKV Plat+ - but at $16.5K - quite a difference. I believe the lowest reported on TUG has been $14.5K confirmed. Have there been lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With so many listings at $12.5K, both sold and unsold, I would think at least some of them are selling at that price. Given that the $16.5K indicated 2016 usage, it seems that it has been out there for a while not attracting many offers. And why go for that when there are other cheaper listings on the same site.