• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach named 3rd Most Dangerous US City?

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
So it is possible that the survey mostly reflects crimes against residents and that the high amount of tourists is not of major significance..

Certainly it's possible that if the population of MB is around 35,000 and there are an additional 35,000 tourists staying overnight tonight, essentially doubling the population, that any crimes that take place will only be against local residents and not visitors. It just doesn't seem likely to me. What I'm really trying to say is that the denominator of the per capita calculation should be the total of residents plus visitors, not just residents.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
I'm not sure that we should take into account the high tourist population in most cities, unless a large percentage of violent crime is directed against tourists as opposed to local residents. In most cities, I would expect that most tourists would have no reason to go into the high crime areas and that the violent crime statistics do not generally reflect crimes against tourists. Taking Chicago as an example, it is my guess that most tourists avoid the areas with high murder/robbery rates and so the victims are predominantly local residents and not tourists. And I assume that if a high percentage of victims in Myrtle Beach were tourists, we would have heard about it by now.

So it is possible that the survey mostly reflects crimes against residents and that the high amount of tourists is not of major significance..

When you take a town that swells to well over 5 times it's normal population during at least 4 months out of the year, I would think I might give heavy weight to It causing a lot of the crime.

The facts are you have much more of a chance of having a violent crime committed against you in Orlando than Myrtle Beach. Almost 4 times the amount! While property crime is much higher in Myrtle Beach I do think it caused more by visitors than local residents. I thought this was hilarious because I don't see people diving for the exits in Orlando!

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/orlando/crime

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Anything can happen anywhere. Should we all stay home and live in fear? We Re planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in March 2018. Cannot live in fear, but will take the warnings seriously. We live in Central Florida where there have been mass shootings, police officers murdered, road rage, thefts etc.
We try to avoid trouble, but are always aware that things can happen in an instant.
Safe Travels,
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Anything can happen anywhere. Should we all stay home and live in fear? We Re planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in March 2018. Cannot live in fear, but will take the warnings seriously. We live in Central Florida where there have been mass shootings, police officers murdered, road rage, thefts etc.
We try to avoid trouble, but are always aware that things can happen in an instant.
Safe Travels,
Silentg

It's true. I have to work/drive each day in one of the most dangerous small cities in NY- Newburgh. Lots of drugs, gangs, etc. I hate going there but my job requires it. There have been times I have just driven down a street there only to hear a little while later that a shooting just occurred on the same street.