• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Myrtle Beach named 3rd Most Dangerous US City?

everdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Destin
Just read an article that Myrtle Beach is now considered the third most dangerous US city (Detroit is 1st)

Also about 2-3 months ago saw a video of a shooting that happened during spring break there.

I haven't been in over 15 years and now I don't think I will ever take my family there.

Thoughts? Before all of this I was considering going for a week because it always seems so cheap.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Whose list? Forbes has Detroit at #1 but Myrtle Beach wasn't in the top 10. I live about 3 miles from the Baltimore City line and Baltimore and Washington have been in the top 10 for more than a decade or really all my adult life about 20 years. There are tourist areas that are safe and there are areas that are not. I am not sure if Detroit has any tourist areas. I have heard that some of the tourist areas of Myrtle Beach are not safe at this time especially after dark. I just spent a week and I would think most timeshares in Myrtle Beach and the surrounding beach area during the day are perfectly safe. There are restaurants and golf courses and fishing excursions, etc. that are perfectly safe.

I would research the resort and the surrounding area but I certainly wouldn't worry about it for any of the big names- Wyndham, Marriott, Sheraton, Bluegreen or even Westgate.

everdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Destin
Google "myrtle beach third most dangerous place to live" and there are all sorts of news stations reporting on article. I wouldn't have believed but I did see a live shooting on Facebook from a hotel district from this years spring break

gwenco

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just don't go during Memorial Day weekend.

everdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Destin
Personally for me if it is dangerous at a certain time of year even for one weekend I will not be taking my little girls there ever.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Let's see. Spring break popular spot and May full of Biker rallies. Crime? Go figure!

We just came back from our yearly Myrtle Beach trip and saw no signs of any crime. I'm sure it's there but when you pull out the two major crime periods I'm sure it's no where near number 3. We went out to eat several times including one trip to Broadway at the Beach and saw nothing but tourist having fun. Geez, if you isolate your self from everything you read about, you will never go anywhere further than your front porch! Oh, that's right, you may get caught in a drive by since that happens in just about every city in the US also!! I refuse to live my life in fear. Use your common sense whenever you are outside your home, anywhere.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have never been there, but someone i know goes every year and she said there is a section that is a no go, but other parts that are perfectly safe. She loves it.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I go to Myrtle beach often and always feel safe. I believe that list did injustice to the wonderful Myrtle Beach.

It's probably like any other tourist places , some areas of the city are safer then others. There are always isolated incidents if you want to find them, anywhere.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hard to see MB as #3 on anyone's most dangerous list. Maybe they're factoring in the flesh-eating bacteria a few posts down the list.

Reminds me of Washington, DC's former Mayor-for-Life Marion Barry, who once said, "Outside of the killings, Washington, DC is one of the safest cities in the country." Sounds dumb but that was said during the height of DC's crack cocaine crisis and that that's where and why the killings were happening.

If Myrtle Beach had an especially violent event week, that would inflate the statistics but it's still hard to see how MB would nudge out Chicago, Detroit, or Baltimore just to name a few.

everdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Destin
Again I haven't been there in a long time but it is very concerning to see what I have about Myrtle Beach lately

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We used to go to Myrtle Beach in the later part of May and again September or October but haven't been since 2010. Atlantic Beach is the area you want to avoid and particularly avoid Atlantic Beach Bike Week which will be May 25-28, 2018. The Myrtle Beach Fall Bike Week is October 2-8, 2017 and Myrtle Beach Spring Bike Week is May 11-20, 2018. The Myrtle Beach Bike Weeks aren't as bad as the Atlantic Beach Bike Week but some people prefer to avoid all the Bike Weeks. We've been there during both Myrtle Beach and Atlantic Beach Spring Bike Weeks and the traffic issues are much worse during Atlantic Beach Bike Week.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
While there might be violence during certain event weeks, it's local poverty and pervasive drug use/ drug culture and availability of guns and other weapons that make for dangerous cities.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a HGVC preview trip last spring, staying at the Carolinian Beach Resort. My ten-year-old daughter did a Google/Yelp search and found Sole, a *fantastic* Italian restaurant. It was a close walk from the resort, and she and I walked to/from at dusk/shortly after dark and felt perfectly safe. This was in early May.

I would avoid Biker week and the biggest Spring Break weeks with younger children--for crowds, noise, and traffic, if nothing else. While I may prefer HHI over MB, MB is a few hours closer and makes the most sense for a quick weekend getaway for us. I wouldn't let one incident deter me, even with young children.

Remember, crime everywhere is *waaaay lower* than it was when I was a child. It's the news cycles that are bigger and longer. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
There are tourist areas that are safe and there are areas that are not. I am not sure if Detroit has any tourist areas.
We have been to Detroit many times. We have stayed in the downtown core a few times as well as in the Greektown area. Downtown and Greektown may be the only areas I would consider tourist areas. Other than driving through on the interstates, I probably wouldn't go anywhere else in Detroit. Even getting off I475 during the eclipse on our way through coming back from Canada was a harrowing experience. Some guy was all road rage on us coming off an exit because the truck in front of us wasn't turning right on red. The driver literally chased us until we turned in to a Burger King parking lot, screaming out the window at us. The one time in my life that I was scare someone would possibly pull a gun on us.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
One of my Facebook friends posted a link to an article on this (Branson was also in the top 5, and NMB was also pretty high). The key metric that makes me think this is a pretty useless list is that it's crime per capita. So, Myrtle Beach's population is what, less than 50,000 people, but millions of tourists visit there annually. Sure, the number of incidents per permanent resident may be high, but the number of people occupying various accommodations in MB is probably several times the actual population number on any given night.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We have been to Detroit many times. We have stayed in the downtown core a few times as well as in the Greektown area. Downtown and Greektown may be the only areas I would consider tourist areas. Other than driving through on the interstates, I probably wouldn't go anywhere else in Detroit. Even getting off I475 during the eclipse on our way through coming back from Canada was a harrowing experience. Some guy was all road rage on us coming off an exit because the truck in front of us wasn't turning right on red. The driver literally chased us until we turned in to a Burger King parking lot, screaming out the window at us. The one time in my life that I was scare someone would possibly pull a gun on us.[/QUOTE

Mexico Town near the Ambassador Bridge is interesting and has some good restaurants .

There is also growth in - artist loft style living . ie buildings with a lot of space can be cheap
and that is what drives real artists to explore living opportunities in urban city Detroit .

one persons " dreck " is someone else's opportunity

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to Myrtle beach often and always feel safe. I believe that list did injustice to the wonderful Myrtle Beach.

It's probably like any other tourist places, some areas of the city are safer then others. There are always isolated incidents if you want to find them, anywhere.

100% correct on all accounts. In reality, in lieu of "It's probably like any other tourist places", it should probably be "It's probably like the town we each live in"

When people/articles refer to "Myrtle Beach" are they referring to the City of "Myrtle Beach" or are they referring to the "Grand Strand"?? The City of Myrtle Beach is a 13 mile stretch of the 60 mile long Grand Strand. There are numerous towns in the Grand Strand - while not the most frequented area of the Grand Strand, the City of Myrtle Beach is the name the vast majority of people use when referring to the Grand Strand. There is about a 1 mile section of Myrtle Beach that can be undesirable at times and has been ground zero for negative events in the past 6 months, unfortunately that 1 mile section is tainting the other 59 miles of the Grand Strand.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
MB is #3... What happen to New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Detroit, Washington, DC, Baltimore, and Miami ???

These cities listed above are the names of some dangerous cities according to most crime data in the USA..

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
The report that started all of this was from the Safewise Report. It's almost ridiculous because they are in business to promote and sell home security systems! You think they might be a little biased in giving such weight to property damage than actual violent crime? One of their statements shows just how stupid they are. "Why isn’t Detroit, Michigan, on the list? While some cities may have a reputation for violent crime, like New Orleans or Detroit, the reality is that you are statistically less likely to experience a crime in major metro areas because the population is larger." Just click on the about tab of their webpage and you will see the six smucks writing these reports and their number of sales from generating this propaganda.

Not even in the top 15 on this list.

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-united-states.html

Number 17 in this one

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Again, this list is based on crime PER CAPITA. The list doesn't in any way take into account the massive hotel/rental accommodation capacity for occupancy as compared to the relatively tiny permanent population. If such a list took into account heads in beds on an average night rather than basing it on the number of residents, I'm sure most of the tourist towns like MB and Branson would fall off the list entirely.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, this list is based on crime PER CAPITA. The list doesn't in any way take into account the massive hotel/rental accommodation capacity for occupancy as compared to the relatively tiny permanent population. If such a list took into account heads in beds on an average night rather than basing it on the number of residents, I'm sure most of the tourist towns like MB and Branson would fall off the list entirely.

I'm not sure that we should take into account the high tourist population in most cities, unless a large percentage of violent crime is directed against tourists as opposed to local residents. In most cities, I would expect that most tourists would have no reason to go into the high crime areas and that the violent crime statistics do not generally reflect crimes against tourists. Taking Chicago as an example, it is my guess that most tourists avoid the areas with high murder/robbery rates and so the victims are predominantly local residents and not tourists. And I assume that if a high percentage of victims in Myrtle Beach were tourists, we would have heard about it by now.

So it is possible that the survey mostly reflects crimes against residents and that the high amount of tourists is not of major significance..

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure that we should take into account the high tourist population in most cities, unless a large percentage of violent crime is directed against tourists as opposed to local residents. In most cities, I would expect that most tourists would have no reason to go into the high crime areas and that the violent crime statistics do not generally reflect crimes against tourists. Taking Chicago as an example, it is my guess that most tourists avoid the areas with high murder/robbery rates and so the victims are predominantly local residents and not tourists. And I assume that if a high percentage of victims in Myrtle Beach were tourists, we would have heard about it by now.

So it is possible that the survey mostly reflects crimes against residents and that the high amount of tourists is not of major significance..
I think the one that has MB on the list weighs property crimes on the same par as violent crimes although they do list the two categories as separate. Property crimes would include theft from hotels and automobiles.

3. Myrtle Beach, SOUTH CAROLINA ↓
Previous Rank: 2

Violent Crimes per 1,000: 15.75
Property Crimes per 1,000: 143.86

5. Branson, MISSOURI ↑
Previous Rank: 10

Violent Crimes per 1,000: 7.12
Property Crimes per 1,000: 132.76

23. North Myrtle Beach, SOUTH CAROLINA
Previous Rank: Not Ranked

Violent Crimes per 1,000: 6.12
Property Crimes per 1,000: 90.35