• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My first timeshare purchase - what should I know about the process?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
It is Hyatt Pinon Pointe, a fixed Silver week, the dates would work for my family. The owner and me agreed on price, and that I will pay for transfer and closing costs. I am aware that Hyatt has ROFR and there is a possibility they will exercise, even though I "heard" Hyatt is only actively buying back Diamond and Platinum weeks.

Upon recommendations that I read on TUG, I contacted LT transfers and they said they can handle the transaction, but in the event Hyatt exercises ROFR, I am out $50. Is there a way to structure the transaction so that it's completely risk-free for me as a buyer in case of ROFR?

Also, is there anything else I should know about the process? Does the fact that I am Canadian complicate things?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Does the $50 go to LTT for handling your purchase up to the point of ROFR, or does it go to Hyatt?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Does the $50 go to LTT for handling your purchase up to the point of ROFR, or does it go to Hyatt?

LT Transfers told me I need to pay them a non-refundable $50 fee for handling the transaction to the point of ROFR, and if Hyatt buys it back, then I am out $50. I don't really understand it. If Hyatt exercises ROFR, shouldn't they pay all the fees then associated with the transaction, including $50?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Because you are paying LT Transfers for their services up until that point. You are hiring LT Transfers - not Hyatt. If Hyatt decides to exercise ROFR, they will do the transfer in-house.

If you think you can meet all the legal requirements, I suppose you could do the paperwork and submit it to Hyatt yourself.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Have the seller pay the $50 LT Transfers fee, that way they are out $50 if Hyatt exercises ROFR but still get their money.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I think the $50 bucks is what they charge for the Escrow fee.... You can request the seller pay escrow costs if that risk bothers you.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or just stipulate the seller pays the $50 if Hyatt takes the unit on ROFR. Otherwise, you pay if it's a clean deal.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Escrow = fee to hold funds in a secure account during the title transfer. If ROFR is exercised, there will be no escrow. But whether or not ROFR is exercised, LTT will have to expend resources to process the transfer up to that point.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
OK, thanks! Another question. I want to use the 2018 week. It's now more than six months before check in, but by the time transfer is complete, it is likely going to be less than six months before check in. How to ensure I get the week guaranteed? Should I ask the seller to reserve the week in my name at the start of the process? Would then the reservation transfer into my account once the process is complete?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, thanks! Another question. I want to use the 2018 week. It's now more than six months before check in, but by the time transfer is complete, it is likely going to be less than six months before check in. How to ensure I get the week guaranteed? Should I ask the seller to reserve the week in my name at the start of the process? Would then the reservation transfer into my account once the process is complete?
That would be a good question to ask LTT - they should be able to advise you. If not, you could call the Hyatt title office to see how they handle it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Be sure to read the sticky "Useful Links and Info About Hyatt Timeshare Ownership". The HRPP period will expire before you have title and your information is entered into the Hyatt system. You should ask the seller to reserve the week and request a guest certificate in your name so the week is reserved for you, as you will not be able to get this done in time before the fixed week passes into the CUP period.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

As long as the seller reserves their HRPP week, the reservation will automatically transfer to you when Hyatt transfers the ownership of the week to you in their corporate records (no guest certificate is needed).

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

That's exactly what I did, the seller reserved the name in his name AND my name for the week WE wanted at HWOR. I called before we went and we were on the reservation. No problem at all with check-in... One time at the lazy river bar the bartender, an extremely funky cool guy, asked "is there another name on the room?" I gave him the name of the previous owner (he was listed first in the reservation), and there was no problem. He never asked again (got to know me pretty well, I chilled with him while my 5 and 4 year old grand daughters cruised the lazy river!)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One time at the lazy river bar the bartender, an extremely funky cool guy, asked "is there another name on the room?" I gave him the name of the previous owner (he was listed first in the reservation), and there was no problem. He never asked again (got to know me pretty well, I chilled with him while my 5 and 4 year old grand daughters cruised the lazy river!)
I can just picture it: "Grandchildren, who wants to head out to the lazy river? Grandpa's thirsty!" Nice going, Dagger! ;) I like your style.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can just picture it: "Grandchildren, who wants to head out to the lazy river? Grandpa's thirsty!" Nice going, Dagger! ;) I like your style.
WalnutBaron, be at the HWOR Wk23 2018 and my treat at the lazy river bar!!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That sounds tempting :)

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
As long as the seller reserves their HRPP week, the reservation will automatically transfer to you when Hyatt transfers the ownership of the week to you in their corporate records (no guest certificate is needed).
This is what we did in our recent sale of Sunset. In the declaration I stipulated that I had the unit reserved, but the rights to occupancy for this year would transfer to the new owner. We had less than 90 days to get all the paper work done. The new owners are now at Sunset. There was no guest certificate needed.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Have the seller pay the $50 LT Transfers fee, that way they are out $50 if Hyatt exercises ROFR but still get their money.

I think the $50 bucks is what they charge for the Escrow fee.... You can request the seller pay escrow costs if that risk bothers you.
The OP agreed to pay all closing costs. The $50 is a non refundable deposit toward the closing costs paid by the buyer in this agreement. If the seller pays the $50 deposit and Hyatt exercises ROFR, the seller is out the deposit. One way to structure it would be to up the purchase price by $50 with the seller paying $50 in closing costs and the buyer paying the rest. If Hyatt exercises ROFR, then the seller still gets their full sales price from Hyatt and LT Transfers ends up with the initial deposit and the OP isn't really out anything. The seller is only out the $50 for the period of time between when they put the $50 in escrow and when Hyatt paid them from the ROFR.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP agreed to pay all closing costs. The $50 is a non refundable deposit toward the closing costs paid by the buyer in this agreement. If the seller pays the $50 deposit and Hyatt exercises ROFR, the seller is out the deposit. One way to structure it would be to up the purchase price by $50 with the seller paying $50 in closing costs and the buyer paying the rest. If Hyatt exercises ROFR, then the seller still gets their full sales price from Hyatt and LT Transfers ends up with the initial deposit and the OP isn't really out anything. The seller is only out the $50 for the period of time between when they put the $50 in escrow and when Hyatt paid them from the ROFR.
Excellent solution!

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon

Thanks, that's what we did. Now waiting for ROFR response.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, that's what we did. Now waiting for ROFR response.
FYI, Hyatt is allowed up to 30 days from date of conveyance of deed--and they take all 30. You should hear something from them in about a month.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
OK, will wait. Now, another question. What is the maximum occupancy of the two bedroom unit at Piñon Pointe? I am reading all conflicting info:

Fact sheet on Hyatt website says 8:
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/images/hotels/sedsh/factsheet.pdf

If you try to make a reservation on Hyatt hotel website, it says 6:
  • Maximum guests per room: 6
And II website says 5:
https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1503&resortCode=HYN&parentResortCode=HYN#.WWa9X4TyuUk

So what is correct, or maybe there is no limit that is actually enforced?

We are a family of five (including three kids), and I am trying to understand if it would be possible to take another married couple (relatives) with us making a total party of seven.

If it passes ROFR of course :)

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is six adults. Basically two per bed and two in the sleeper sofa. That being said, they don't seem to count the younger kids on the occasions we have maxed the guest count.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
More then 6 would be somewhat crowded but they don't enforce the number and if you were to bring an air mattress you could make it work for 7. It is set up as a lock off so it is basically a studio and a 1 bedroom with a comfortable.sleeper sofa.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, will wait. Now, another question. What is the maximum occupancy of the two bedroom unit at Piñon Pointe? I am reading all conflicting info
Would you accept 7?

There is a fold out 'chair' in the guest BR with a queen bed for total of 3. There is a fold out 'couch' in the other side with a king in the BR for a total of 4. They will also provide an air mattress for one more.

My answer would be you can stuff in 8, but 6 is more reasonable, and 4 is perfect. (At least adults)