• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC Destinations Escapes/Last Minute ... New DC Offering [Merged]

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Break Away from the Everyday with Last-Minute Vacation Options
Introducing Marriott Vacation Club , a new way for Points and Enrolled Owners to break away from the everyday and maximize their Vacation Club Points.

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Escapes is perfect when you have the flexibility to book available last-minute stays using your Vacation Club Points. Now you have another reason to return to a favorite property or explore a new destination.

• Choose from a limited number of 3-, 4- and 7-night stays starting at 180 Vacation Club Points each week.
  • Book available stays within 60 days prior to check-in at select Marriott Vacation Club®properties.
  • Use the same number of Vacation Club Points, regardless of destination. Available vacation packages are based on villa type and the number of nights per stay.
This ownership enhancement is now available through the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations®Exchange Program.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting new offering.
Limited scope currently for us as European residents, with just an option showing for Paris.
We will see how this develops though.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I just received this announcement in my email. When I log into my MVCI account, it is the main banner on the landing page. After checking through some of the FAQs, I came across the following:

Can a Marriott Vacation Club Owner or Member combine their short-notice Owner Benefit Level (OBL) discount towards a Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Escapes reservation?
No. Only one discount may be applied. Owners and Members in the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Exchange Program can choose which discount best meets their travel needs.

So, for Chairman/Presidential/Executive level owners - you can choose between your OBL discount (good anywhere) or the reduced 'Destination Escape' prices for the selected resorts as shown - but not both.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One concern I have is that is appears that (at least at some resorts), the view type isn't indicated. I was looking at OceanWatch as an example. The value of the deal will be impacted by the view-type. This is important in comparing my last minute OBL discount (which will be for a known view-type) compared to this new offering which doesn't indicate which view type you will be getting.

I know I can always assume the worst view-type. However, doing that could well make the last-minute OBL discount the better deal.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once concern I have is that is appears that (at least at some resorts), the view type isn't indicated. I was looking at OceanWatch as an example.
For the number of points they are asking, I wouldn't be concerned with view. Just assume the worst view. At least it means you're on vacation.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just did an 'imperfect' comparison of last minute reservation options for OceanWatch contrasting 'Destination Escape' pricing with the 30% OBL discount. I could not match the exact check-in date of 11/4/17 for the 7 night 'Destination Escape'. However, I was able to get a 7 night arrival date on 11/13/17.

The Destination Escape price for 7 nights arriving on 11/4 is 1,260 points for an unspecified view-type.

The 30% OBL discounted price for this time frame for 7 nights arriving on 11/13 is 1,085 points for a garden view-type.

The 'Destination Escape' may be a savings opportunity in some places (perhaps Hawaii). However, I would double-check all options as in the case above (unless you had to have an 11/4 check-in) the Destination Escape may not be the best deal.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I think this will absorb some of those last minute deposits into II (that would have been deposited 61 days before check-in). I think some of us have expected something like this for awhile -- a FlexChange at a discounted points value. I think this is a really nice feature and will hope to use this in the future.

Best,

Greg

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also got the email and investigated. Seems odd that the 1st listings were via PDF rather than online search. Not sure how often they plan to update the PDF both from both chronology and inventory availability standpoints. My guess is they put the PDF out there as an example to see if they can generate some phone calls to the program. Good way of expanding the absorption of unused rooms beyond the higher levels of membership. Just think they're gonna need to make it more user friendly to get much traction.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you're booked, would it make sense to check this program (MVCDE) as you get within 60 days to see if you can get a discount? The points from your original reservation would go into a holding account. If you were real daring OR could find a very helpful associate, you could cancel existing and then use some of those points you just put in a holding account to book the MVCDE, right?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Once you're booked, would it make sense to check this program (MVCDE) as you get within 60 days to see if you can get a discount? The points from your original reservation would go into a holding account. If you were real daring OR could find a very helpful associate, you could cancel existing and then use some of those points you just put in a holding account to book the MVCDE, right?
The "Puck Trick" lives on!!!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Excellent! I like that the DC is still evolving, that they're exploring new and different uses for DC Points. This one looks very interesting despite its limited scope, and at first glance it looks like something that will work for the way we're able to travel.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Excellent! I like that the DC is still evolving, that they're exploring new and different uses for DC Points. This one looks very interesting despite its limited scope, and at first glance it looks like something that will work for the way we're able to travel.
I like this too. For those of us that don't get a points discount for last minute reservations by being a higher ownership status, this seems to be a plus. We may check it out for some reservation plans we have for next year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Choose from a limited number of 3-, 4- and 7-night stays starting at 180 Vacation Club Points each week.
They shouldn't have used the term "each week" at the end of this. I see no Escapes that are as low as 180 points for a whole week (7 night stay)

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. Perhaps they meant per night.

BigMac

Reaction score
So I thought I would do some comparisons between this offer and the regular points system but when I go on the MVC website, click on Explore Destinations, view resorts, instead of getting all resorts and their details I get an error message "We Apologize for the Inconvenience, but this page no longer exists. Click here to navigate to our homepage.". Is anyone else getting this?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
So I thought I would do some comparisons between this offer and the regular points system but when I go on the MVC website, click on Explore Destinations, view resorts, instead of getting all resorts and their details I get an error message "We Apologize for the Inconvenience, but this page no longer exists. Click here to navigate to our homepage.". Is anyone else getting this?

Yes, I had the same experience.

One question I have is how this new program impacts the discount benefit that Executive, Presidential and Chairman level members have. Executive gets a 25% discount at 30 days, and Presidential and Chairman get 30% off at 60 days before check in.

Of course, the higher level members have access to all resorts and all available inventory. This new program is available at select resort. It isn't clear to me if all inventory at those resorts is available or only a limited amount.

Thoughts?

Best regards.

Mike

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI that's apparently an Ocean View, based upon my conversation with the callcentre!

I believe that is correct because all three bedroom units are located in building A. And building a is either considered oceanview or oceanfront unit.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
There's a 1 week stay at Kauai Lagoons in a 3BR in October for only 1680 points. That is a bargain. That's the one that caught my eye.

Agree. That Kauai Lagoons 3BR for 1680 is a steal. If only I could go in October :/ . Wish it was November...as I could go then.

Many others at fairly low DC Pts for 3, 4, or even 7 nights. Oct/Nov is likely low travel season for many resorts. But, for those who are flexible...this is a good example of how DC Pts could go a long way. Hope some Tuggers can take advantage.