• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MP Puerto Peñasco

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just finishing up our trip to PP and it was overall a great family trip for us.

Room -
We were quite disappointed with our MP room. They gave us a room on the first floor right off the main lobby with no view. The hallway didn't have A/C, was hot and stuffy all week, and the noise echoed through the hallway and into our room as people walked by talking. The bed was hard as a rock. I know the MP is the lower end brand, but I guess I expected more from the room. Our room had maintenance issues galore - the A/C didn't work in the bedroom until halfway through the week and then we froze as the thermostat didn't work. The living room A/C still worked so we had that cranked up. The drywall plaster in the bathroom fell down halfway through as well due to it being wet from a clogged A/C drain pipe. There were bugs - mosquitoes, spiders, and roaches in the hallways and in our room. And just general other upkeep issues we found. We are going to the GM NV in Jan, so we were worried about that room after experiencing this room. We did agree to the sales breakfast so I expected a better room, but we were not offered one - even as I saw them changing other people's rooms to ocean view.

Resort -
Room aside, the resort was fabulous. Loved the pool areas and the beach. We did get GM pool passes for the sales presentation so we also got to experience that area and the lazy river too. The MP pool was actually the best one for little kids. It had a shallow 2ft area that our 2 year old just loved splashing around in. The MP pool also had shade palapas around which was nice. The GM pool doesn't have the palapas, only umbrellas. There were a couple days where it was windy and the umbrellas couldn't be used so there was no shade at all by the GM pool - only the MP pool. The lazy river was nice, but it felt weird to not be able to sit around it like you can at other resorts. The beach was great too. There were a couple maintenance issues with the MP pool and missing pool tiles and some black algae in the tile grout. The pool deck was also very rough to walk on. But overall we loved the resort area and will probably be back once we can reserve a GM room through RCI.

Sales presentation-
The supposed 1 hour sales presentation ended up lasting 3 hours. We were given the GM passes, 25% off all excursions from their tour group - we did end up booking the catamaran trip to Bird Island, 10% off all room charges, and 1200pesos resort credit which we used for a nice dinner. Overall the presentation was low key. I actually felt the least pressured from any presentation I've been to at other resorts. The last presentation I attended at Grandview LV was much higher pressure than this.
The first offer for a 2bd GM was $116k. Wow! Then they offered us a trade in deal for our existing timeshares. When we said no, they brought out a 1bd MP contract that had 2 weeks, plus 2 vida weeks, plus 2 privilege weeks, plus free theme park access for $60k, they then applied trade in credit making it only $13k. We said we didn't want to trade in our existing timeshares, so the next offer was $13k with no trade in required. We said No MP, so then they offered us the 2bd GM unit with all the same privileges for the same $13k Price. Crazy how that offer was 1/10th the original price for better amenities. Final offer was $9k for a studio GM white season but with unlimited Sea Garden weeks which we easily declined. Then they took us over to the closer who said they could offer us the $13k GM unit for $5k, they got all the way down to $2k for that unit which was tempting - they claimed it was the same 100 year benefits but I was very skeptical from what I've read on here that it might be a trial offer or something. We declined and got our gifts.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks for the complete review and sales info .

FYI - the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco trades in Intervals International not RCI . ( as do all Grand Luxxe )All the other Grand Mayan locations are available through RCI
I hope you have II access or you could also try SFX or just rent from a GM owner so you can get back to PP.

Curious - was the Sea Garden MF cost given separately / or was it- get a one bedroom SG for the GM studio MF ?

My guess- on the 2K GM studio , is that it was an exit package and would work more like a privilege week
if /when you read the contract details . Ie : it likely had no (or very limited ARP etc.) compared a " full deal " contract .
Could be OK - if May & October are your preferred vacation months

The 2 bedroom GM for 13 K may have been the best offer ( after seeing a full contract )
based on other TUG reviews of Vidanta sales offers .

Last edited:

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
We are just finishing up our trip to PP and it was overall a great family trip for us.

Bennyboy00, thanks for the review.

Was your reservation through RCI, or you booked the unit directly with Vidanta as owners?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
My guess- on the 2K GM studio , is that it was an exit package and would work more like a privilege week
if /when you read the contract details . Ie : it likely had no (or very limited ARP etc.) compared a " full deal " contract .
Could be OK - if May & October are your preferred vacation months

The 2 bedroom GM for 13 K may have been the best offer ( after seeing a full contract )
based on other TUG reviews of Vidanta sales offers .

Actually May & October are awesome months to go to PP. :)

I do agree that 13K is an awesome deal for a 2-bedroom Grand Mayan.

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually May & October are awesome months to go to PP. :)

I do agree that 13K is an awesome deal for a 2-bedroom Grand Mayan.

We booked through RCI Points. I don't have II. I did inquire about booking through SFX as I have a week deposited there but they said they haven't received any GM PP deposits yet. SFX did have a 2bed MP for the same week.

The RCI reservation was actually made during one of the Vidanta promo sales where I reserved the week for $0 exchange fee. It was only about 30k RCI points if I remember which made it a killer deal of a week. All our paperwork was stamped with Ambassador Promo. Not sure if that made a difference in things or not or if that was just the inventory pool we booked through RCI (as there are two separate RCI resort codes for this resort with different point values for each too).

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curios about how you traveled there. Many years ago (before Mayan property was completed) -- we drove down from Phoenix and for awhile we referred to it as our Puerto Penasco Fiasco.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We live in Arizona, on the west side of Phoenix, so we drive. It takes us less than 4 hours from our house. The main thing to remember is that the speed limit signs are Kilometers. As the policeman told my husband - "It is 40km, not 40mph." They love having those radar guns out when you are driving through Sonoyta - the town you cross the border in! we always see US tags pulled over. They snagged us last year.

Some car rental agencies allow you to drive their cars to PP.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
How much is the car insurance if I bring a car rental from Phoenix to Mexico?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We flew into Skyharbor Airport & rented in Phoenix to go to Porto Penasco in October 2013 and 2014 (used our VF weeks)
(Pilltle / Phyllis is right - October is awesome in PP )
Not every car rental company will let their cars go into Mexico .

Both times we rented from Enterprise & the Mexican car insurance was an addendum on the contract .
I believe it was approx $ 250 .

The second time we rented off airport and saved quite a bit of $

I will try to see if I still have the records & the location of the off airport location .
It was open 7 days a week , so drop off was not a problem . ( Not all locations were open Sunday )

Enterprise / Central Phoenix
5035 North 12 th Street

10 days ( Weds mid afternoon - Sun am drop off ) total $ 569 for a Nissan Versa sedan.
Misc Charge was $ 210 - which was the Mexican Insurance (Thurs - Thurs )

I believe the onsite airport rental in 2013 was over $ 1100 ( 10 Days - Ford Focus ) . The cab fare was $ 50 each way and took 20 minutes .

One FYI -we were flying from Buffalo on SW ( Eastern time zone / daylight savings / Phoenix and PP are on Mountain standard )
In 2013 we left the airport rental around 5 pm ( rush hour ) and stopped for dinner ( 1 hour ) so we arrived around 11:30 pm local time - which was 2:30 am Eastern ( I was getting pretty sleepy driving )

In 2014 - we flew a day earlier & stayed Weds evening in Ajo - La Siesta Motel & RV in one of their cute cabins . We had lunch just across the border in Sonoyta Mx. and checked in around 3 pm .

PS - I believe the Lukeville - Sonoyta border crossing is closed from midnight to 6 am.

Last edited:

BennyBoy00

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curios about how you traveled there. Many years ago (before Mayan property was completed) -- we drove down from Phoenix and for awhile we referred to it as our Puerto Penasco Fiasco.

We drove down from Orange County, CA - about 7.5 hours - crossed the border at San Luis/Yuma, AZ.
Driving our personal vehicle, Mexican car insurance was approx $150 for a reputable vendor/policy (US $500K liability limits) for the week.
The drive to and from the border as well as driving within the town of PP was all very easy.