• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mountainside Which Week To Reserve 2018

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
I'm buying a Mountainside and will have first use in 2018. I work in a school and January is a good time for me. We plan to go MLK week every year, but has already been reserved already for next year, probably on the first day it was available.

I will probably have to rent it out the first year, any ideas on what would be the best week that should still be available for next year would be appreciated.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my view for 2018. Saturday check-in is best

Week 51 (Christmas week) is best.
Then week 52 (New Years week)
Then week 7 (Presidents week)
Then week 3 (Sundance film festival)
Then week 12 (Good Friday week)
Then most likely any week in March (spring break for various school districts - e.g. Texas schools)

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Here is my view for 2018. Saturday check-in is best

Then week 3 (Sundance film festival)

I realize this is correct for 2018 but just wanted to mention that the main week of Sundance usually falls in week 4. It used to overlap with MLK week but was pushed back a few years ago to spread out the crowds.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think week3 2018 will be available to reserve now anyway presumably?

What happens if the OP doesn't close until (say) 1 April - is he completely stuck at that point or will he likely still be able to book a reasonable ski week to rent out in 2018 even though he is booking after the 12-month deadline?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Catharsis,

In that case, the OP should book any week Jan-Mar that he can at Mountainside to rent out via Redweek where there is a very large and active market. If the OP ends up with a pre-Christmas or April week at Mountainside, it may not be rentable at MF levels. Park City skiing closes in the second week of April. And the pre-Christmas skiing has been very sketchy in the last few years.

In future years, I wouldn't expect the OP to be able to book the active weeks (e.g. week 7 and Sundance). MLK weekend may be do-able since it is not a major holiday, but this uncertainty is the reason that I dislike floating ski weeks. I think that the fixed ski week deeds that the Hyatt system is superior but it comes at a higher price.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I get the current owner to reserve a week will it stay with the unit, or will it be wiped out with the transfer? I do have a spring break in March and my wife Likes the idea.

Above he mentioned renting it on Redweek. Is that the preferred rental place? I have been renting my Tahoe Christmas week on Airbnb with good results.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good idea to ask seller to make reservation and add your name as a guest. Seller is protected if it doesn't close. You can call Owner Services and switch it to your name upon closing (at least it has worked for me). Ymmv. Cheers.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Above he mentioned renting it on Redweek. Is that the preferred rental place? I have been renting my Tahoe Christmas week on Airbnb with good results.

There is a very large rental market on Redweek for Marriott Mountainside. Redweek happens to be a preferred destination for timeshare rentals. But if Airbnb works for you, you can certainly use it. Redweek is timeshare-centric so people renting on Redweek are more aware of the nuances of your week. There is a fair amount of Redweek vs Airbnb vs other option posts in TUG if you search for it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We've been there a few times in weeks 1 and 2. Does that work with your schedule?

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We've been there a few times in weeks 1 and 2. Does that work with your schedule?
I could do either week, but we will be coming off our ski week in Tahoe for Christmas. I'm afraid that if there isn't any snow in Tahoe for Christmas there won't be any snow in Utah for week 1 or 2 and the whole ski season will be a bust.

At least when we hopefully get our 2019 week 3 there will be the beginning of Sundance if the snow isn't any good there will be something else to do.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a very large rental market on Redweek for Marriott Mountainside. Redweek happens to be a preferred destination for timeshare rentals. But if Airbnb works for you, you can certainly use it. Redweek is timeshare-centric so people renting on Redweek are more aware of the nuances of your week. There is a fair amount of Redweek vs Airbnb vs other option posts in TUG if you search for it.

Every time I wanted to use Redweek to rent the listing has been "let me see if I can find that for you" it's not someone with a week, it's someone that has access to some weeks and will try to ake a reservation if someone "bites".

I have rented my Ridge Tahoe and Park City Minors Club with airbnb. I have had to split the week, but have done well with both. With Redweek making people pay to have access to owners isn't a model that works for me. I can't see the general public paying for access. With Airbnb you are legitimate and there isn't a payment to access the listing. The more you rent the more legitimate you become. The Airbnb fees aren't high and you don't have to worry about payment.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could do either week, but we will be coming off our ski week in Tahoe for Christmas. I'm afraid that if there isn't any snow in Tahoe for Christmas there won't be any snow in Utah for week 1 or 2 and the whole ski season will be a bust.

Utah and Lake Tahoe snowfall patterns are quite different so you can have an awful ski season in Lake Tahoe and have a good one in Utah. Moreover, the snow pattern between Park City and Little Cottonwood Canyons are quite different so that LCC can get 200 inches of snow more in a season compared to PC even though the drive is only an hour from PC to LCC. Bottom line is that if the snow in Park City is not up to your satisfaction, it most likely will be at Snowbird and Alta. So, you can ski all day at LCC (if required) and then go to the bars and restaurants at PC in the evening near the Marriott. Most likely you'll be fine with the snow conditions in Jan at the Park City ski resort but its good to know there is a fallback option.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I looked on Redweek and I was surprised to see how many Mountainside weeks were available to rent. Are all these rentals pros or just owners not wanting to use their week? With so many I would be surprised to find out that it wasn't all pros. Does this mean it will be extra hard to get my MLK week? With regular owners it would be hard enough, but with a bunch of pros?

There has to be unused weeks, people who inherit, loose interest, etc. what weeks get left unused because of these people?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean it will be extra hard to get my MLK week? With regular owners it would be hard enough, but with a bunch of pros?

There are 182 units at Mountainside and there are 52 weeks during the year. So if there are over 300 units available for rent at Redweek spread over the 3 month peak ski season (which translates to 4 villas per week if evenly distributed), you don't have to too concerned that you can't reserve MLK weekend. It may not be as easy as you expect, but it should be possible to reserve immediately when the booking period opens. But your concern is why I would be cautious about buying floating week ski timeshares.