• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MMC summer for Waiohai or KoOlina summer

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking for 2008 summer travel ...what's the thought on which is a more foreseeable/doable trade? My Manor 2BD for a 2BD at either of the Hawaiian resorts.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Looking for 2008 summer travel ...what's the thought on which is a more foreseeable/doable trade? My Manor 2BD for a 2BD at either of the Hawaiian resorts.

Well since the Kauai resort only has 2 bed I would think it would be more likely. However I would put in for both and be happy with what you get:D

I think if you plan at least 15mos out it will happen. But have patience, I requested in July of 2006 and was confirmed in late Dec. So it took 6 months for me to get a 1 bed at Ko'Olina, but I only gave up a 1 bed.

Good Luck

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well since the Kauai resort only has 2 bed I would think it would be more likely. However I would put in for both and be happy with what you get:D

I think if you plan at least 15mos out it will happen. But have patience, I requested in July of 2006 and was confirmed in late Dec. So it took 6 months for me to get a 1 bed at Ko'Olina, but I only gave up a 1 bed.

Good Luck
what month were you confirmed to?

camachinist

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a specific date range, I'd suggest putting in MAW, MMO and MKO and doing an ongoing search at the Marriott internal rate. Personally, based on my experience, you'll have a better chance of getting a 2BR at MAW simply because it is non-lockoff. Secondarily, Kauai seems to be easier to exchange into (overall).

If you're sure about Hawaii in 2008, I'd make the request now. We've already made our requests for November 2008 at similar resorts and that's shoulder season.

Good luck!

Pat

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be fine if you deposited a week between late June and early August and are requesting a wide range of dates.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a specific date range, I'd suggest putting in MAW, MMO and MKO and doing an ongoing search at the Marriott internal rate. Personally, based on my experience, you'll have a better chance of getting a 2BR at MAW simply because it is non-lockoff. Secondarily, Kauai seems to be easier to exchange into (overall).

If you're sure about Hawaii in 2008, I'd make the request now. We've already made our requests for November 2008 at similar resorts and that's shoulder season.

Good luck!

Pat
I was thinking about holding off on the request until I can confirm my summer week MMC w/ MVCI, since I think a June 25, 2008 week has more trading power than a April 2008 week (which is as far as I can reserve out at this point).

I was thinking about paying my Aug2008 Polo Towers now and use it for an ongoing request for a Maui or Kaui summer 2008 resort (not necessarily Marriott), thinking II would give me greater trading power since I am giving them approx 15 months of usage on that unit... what you guys think?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be fine if you deposited a week between late June and early August and are requesting a wide range of dates.
sounds like you are speaking from experience (youre a fellow Manor, though MSE owner). Only issue w/ giving too wide of dates, esp for summer, is airlines - we are trying to use the ff pts/travel package since four of us going. Any suggestions?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
what month were you confirmed to?

August, I requested any of the last 3 weeks of August. This time period although still summer for us is not the peak demand weeks for summer. Alot of schools and colleges go back around Aug 21 this year. I was confirmed for Aug 25-Sept1.

As a side note, this exchange has caused me much anxiety since it is the first Hawaii trip I haven't booked in Flexchange. Previously, I saw a week I liked I checked airfare and if the air was resonable we went if the airfare was expensive we passed. Now I fret about buying the tix at what price, or can I, will I have enough airline miles? And oh yeah now my husband wants to go for 2 weeks so I put in another request. Now I check my e-mail and II about 10 times a day. I can't possibly book my tix without knowing if I am going to be able to go for a second week.:wall:

I think FLEXCHANGE is the best way to go:hysterical:

PS Since I opened my big mouth about the confirmation in Dec to my kids, my seven year old daughter swings from packing binges to whining about why we only got a 1 bed. She thinks it is her father and I's turn to sleep on the pull-out couch.:doh:

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
sounds like you are speaking from experience (youre a fellow Manor, though MSE owner). Only issue w/ giving too wide of dates, esp for summer, is airlines - we are trying to use the ff pts/travel package since four of us going. Any suggestions?

When do your childs start school next year? If they don't start until Sept like mine I would request late August weeks. I am also trying to use FF miles, US Airways seems to block all Sat's and want 70000miles per ticket. United is wide open on all days of the week and only requires 35000miles. Now of course this is what I am currently looking at and who knows about next year but I don't think you need 330day advance to reserve like others say IMO

good luck

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do your childs start school next year? If they don't start until Sept like mine I would request late August weeks. I am also trying to use FF miles, US Airways seems to block all Sat's and want 70000miles per ticket. United is wide open on all days of the week and only requires 35000miles. Now of course this is what I am currently looking at and who knows about next year but I don't think you need 330day advance to reserve like others say IMO

good luck

One is stating K the other 1st grade. For 2007 Fall, school starts last week of August. I assume it will be the same for 2008. Worst case, we can go vaca in October but summer is our first choice (like the rest of the crazy families w/ kids out there !!!). We just hate having them miss 2 weeks (we are shooting for two week stay)

jancurious

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Winger,
I think you will get your request much quicker if you put in for all of the Marriott's & the Westin on Maui and say you will take a 1 bedroom. You really can't go wrong with any of these resorts and with trading down, you will really have tremendous trade power. I think it is a good plan to wait and reserve June and then put in your request immediately.

2 BR units are very difficult to come by at any of the lock-off resorts (it does happen though!) and Waiohai is difficult because it is such a small resort (<250 units). With your kids ages, a 1 BR unit would still be very nice.

JMHO.....

Jan

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Okay I am sure many will disagree with me BUT I have an 11yo and a 7yo (5th and 1st grades). When my son started school I was adamant that he never miss a day. Well when he was in the 4th grade my husband was changing jobs and had a week off in between. We had no idea if or when he would be able to take a vacation again. A 2 bed Maui Marriott popped up and I grabbed it with 7 days notice.

I figured I had been a good mom so far and what was 1 little week away. Well guess what, my daughters kindergarten teacher told me it was the best thing I could have done because my daughter talked about her trip to hawaii for months. The principal told me kids do learn from there family trips and although he wouldn't make a school announcement about it he saw value in family vacations.

We did have to spend time doing homework while we were gone. But nobody failed or got left behind in their school work. I truly wish I had not been so anal when my son was younger. Afterall it is just elementary school. No college is going to care about these grades and it only gets harder and more demanding in high school. I have heard it is impossible to take them out of high school.

Part of the reason I wanted a timeshare was the closeness and one on one family time you get before the kids want to ditch the folks.

IMHO take them out of school if you need to, they won't suffer for it, they are so young the homework you will be required to take with you will be minimal.

You could certainly request summer,wait a few months then add October to your request and see what you get. I also think FF seats to hawaii would be easier to obtain.

Best of luck

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay I am sure many will disagree with me BUT I have an 11yo and a 7yo (5th and 1st grades). When my son started school I was adamant that he never miss a day. Well when he was in the 4th grade my husband was changing jobs and had a week off in between. We had no idea if or when he would be able to take a vacation again. A 2 bed Maui Marriott popped up and I grabbed it with 7 days notice.

...I have heard it is impossible to take them out of high school.

Part of the reason I wanted a timeshare was the closeness and one on one family time you get before the kids want to ditch the folks.

IMHO take them out of school if you need to, they won't suffer for it, they are so young the homework you will be required to take with you will be minimal.

You could certainly request summer,wait a few months then add October to your request and see what you get. I also think FF seats to hawaii would be easier to obtain.

Best of luck
Yes, being parents is a challenge. In terms of getting behind in school, we have to work closely w/ the teachers/school to determine when it would actually be too overwhelming for the kids to makeup work. Once family we know who were in similar situation said 3rd grade was when they saw their eldest daughter struggle catching up from their 2 week Maui (Marriott Ocean Club) vaca (and the family hangs out together for 2-3 hrs daily in front of the pool so the two girls can do homework). This is one reason they finally shelled out good money to buy an annual 2BD Maui ocean club last yr to guarantee 2 consecutive summer weeks going fwd.

Yes we are definitely willing to go down to a 1 BD if it meant getting early confirm into a Maui Marriott or Westin. Only concern really is the availability of free flights (pts) if confirmed too late.

Yes, our plan is do summer request then followup w/ Oct request.

Last edited:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Winger,
I think you will get your request much quicker if you put in for all of the Marriott's & the Westin on Maui and say you will take a 1 bedroom. You really can't go wrong with any of these resorts and with trading down, you will really have tremendous trade power. I think it is a good plan to wait and reserve June and then put in your request immediately.

2 BR units are very difficult to come by at any of the lock-off resorts (it does happen though!) and Waiohai is difficult because it is such a small resort (<250 units). With your kids ages, a 1 BR unit would still be very nice.

JMHO.....

Jan
Thanks Jan - good pts. I shall likely follow your leads

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 2 back to back weeks at KoOlina last summer during the month of July. We exchanged our summer Manor Club week, July 4th week, and our OceanWatch summer week, week after July 4th for 2 weeks at any one of the Marriotts on any of the Hawaiian Islands. Placed our exchange July, 05 and our exchange came through Nov. 05. I was so excited, both exchanges came through the same day. Almost forgot we received 2-BR exchanges for both weeks.

Good luck with your exchange. KoOlina was a wonderful resort, one of the best resorts we've ever stayed at.

-Jean

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no real good advice on that one, but depositing early gives you a much better chance of hitting the trade early. You'll have to spend a lot of time calling multiple airlines to find your best match for FF redemption, but you'll probably be successful, especially if you are willing to travel for 5-9 days instead of 7 where your departure and return are on weekends.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
... You'll have to spend a lot of time calling multiple airlines to find your best match for FF redemption, but you'll probably be successful, especially if you are willing to travel for 5-9 days instead of 7 where your departure and return are on weekends.
Hey Matt. Just to clarify, I wish to do 14 days, but I will be flexible in terms of losing one day or adding one to two (from the base of 14 days)

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent 2 back to back weeks at KoOlina last summer during the month of July. We exchanged our summer Manor Club week, July 4th week, and our OceanWatch summer week, week after July 4th for 2 weeks at any one of the Marriotts on any of the Hawaiian Islands. Placed our exchange July, 05 and our exchange came through Nov. 05. I was so excited, both exchanges came through the same day. Almost forgot we received 2-BR exchanges for both weeks.

Good luck with your exchange. KoOlina was a wonderful resort, one of the best resorts we've ever stayed at.

-Jean
WOW, good trade! BTW, 'one of best'...ever been to Maui Ocean Club?

BTW, thanks for providing the details (timing) on our trade. helps!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got a January trade into a two bdrm at the Ko'Olina using a Marriott Manor Club Platinum two bdrm. I may give it up today if anyone is interested. I am worried that if I fly on Continental in coach from Newark I will be a pretzel before I get to Honolulu. I have a DVC Hilton Head week at the same time and I have to cancel one or the other.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW, good trade! BTW, 'one of best'...ever been to Maui Ocean Club?

BTW, thanks for providing the details (timing) on our trade. helps!

No, we have never stayed at the Ocean Club. Was hoping for one of the weeks to be at the Ocean Club, but 2-BRs are very hard to come by on Maui. When both our exchanges came in at KoOlina I thought about cancelling one, in order to keep trying for another Marriott resort, but decided not to. I guess I was afraid if I cancelled one than I wouldn't get my second week. We did fly over to the Big Island for about 3 nights in the middle of the trip, to get the feel of another island.

Place your exchange in early with lots of choices and I'm sure you'll get something. Good Luck!!

-Jean

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, we have never stayed at the Ocean Club. Was hoping for one of the weeks to be at the Ocean Club, but 2-BRs are very hard to come by on Maui. When both our exchanges came in at KoOlina I thought about cancelling one, in order to keep trying for another Marriott resort, but decided not to. I guess I was afraid if I cancelled one than I wouldn't get my second week. We did fly over to the Big Island for about 3 nights in the middle of the trip, to get the feel of another island.

Place your exchange in early with lots of choices and I'm sure you'll get something. Good Luck!!

-Jean
Debating whether I should reserve a mid/late june or try my luck at a 4thJuly week for use in exchange. too bad I can't tell what the difference in trading power is between the two.

Jean - did you only put in requests for summer hawaii marriotts or did you put in for other seasons and/or non-marriotts?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Debating whether I should reserve a mid/late june or try my luck at a 4thJuly week for use in exchange. too bad I can't tell what the difference in trading power is between the two.
If you feel that late June weeks are better than July weeks (although I would think school vacation weeks would be better so mid-June might not be as strong a trader) except for the week of the 4th, you could always reserve the last week in June, for ex., and then try for the week of the 4th. If successful, it will cost you $29 to change the reservation, but it might be worth the fee to know you locked in your second choice at least. Something to consider, although I would guess that other weks in July would be as good as late June, but that's only my guess.

ml855

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jean - did you only put in requests for summer hawaii marriotts or did you put in for other seasons and/or non-marriotts?

I only put in summer weeks starting the week after July 4th going through the 3rd week of August, I believe it was 6 weeks total. I needed a 2-BR since we have 5 in our family, with 3 teenage boys. I was told that 2-BRs are a very hard exchange in Hawaii, especially on Maui. I did a deposit first with our Manor Club and a request first with our OceanWatch. I only asked for the Marriott resorts. I was working closely with an II rep who helped my set up my request, he really knew the system. He told me to start off the request and ask for only Marriotts than later I could add non-Marriott resorts if I didn't receive my exchange by a current time frame. I didn't have to worry about adding since I received my exchange within 6 months. He also told me that any summer weeks would trade about the same, not sure about June weeks. Off-season other than summer months might be an easier exchange, if you can travel during that time. I have HS kids so I needed a summer exchange. Let me know if you have any more questions.
-Jean