• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Minimum age to own timeshare....

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
I haven't had time to research this, but I figured you guys would know.

At 18 you may enter into a contract, but most resorts require someone to be 21 to check in.

If you are the actual owner then you should be able to check in??? Or no?

We are considering allowing our son(19) to sign the contracts on a timeshare we are about to purchase so he will have his own and can start learning how to use it, but don't want to run into problems at check in.

Thanks,
Cindy

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could probably own it legally from age day one - its just that no one would finance it for someone underage since the contract for the payments would not be enforcable. Check-in could be a different matter.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I put my daughters name as one of the owners when she was 19. She was about to turn 20 and next week she will get to use it for the first time. She is now 21, time flew by. Hopefully she won't have a hard time checking in, we have a unit there at the same time. All three of our names are on the deed. Mine, husbands (who also has same name as my son) and daughter. That way three name but any four of us can use it.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You could probably own it legally from age day one - its just that no one would finance it for someone underage since the contract for the payments would not be enforcable...

Its not a financing or contractual issue, minors under 18 simply do not "own" their own property.
They cannot sue or be sued, and they are not liable for payment of bills (MF's). Instead, their property is held for them, in trust or under a gifts-to-minors law, by parents, guardians or trustees on their behalf.
--------------
Being between 18 and 21 is kind'a like the twilight zone. He could, for example, pay for a case of alcohol, but anyone who delivered it to him would be guilty of a crime. Rules are rules, and his TS title is subject to the "rules." But I wonder if they'd actually bother to "card" him (other than asking for a CC).

Last edited:

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There won't be financing involved in this transaction.

I am just trying to determine if he would actually be able to check in without us at a resort if he is the owner of the timeshare even though he will not be 21 for a couple years.

Thanks,
Cindy

VacationPro

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am just trying to determine if he would actually be able to check in without us at a resort if he is the owner of the timeshare even though he will not be 21 for a couple years.

Thanks,
Cindy

I would call the resort and ask--different resorts may treat this differently.

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Would depend on state and country laws as well as the resort. My son 18, recently bought a timeshare on ebay in Mazatlan, and yes he can check in, use the unit and is responsible etc...but of course at 18 in Mexico, you are fully an adult, no 18-21 restrictions etc....

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
LOL... There goes my theory that I was one of the youngest Tuggers at age 29.

Well, you're still a baby.
I was a youngster when JFK was shot, watched The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show,
saw Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, and went to rock concerts b4 you were born.

Some here have been "29" for quite some time, others "39." :)

Last edited:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks,
Cindy

I think you are correct in thinking you'll have issues at check-in.. You know from your rentals that many resorts require a minimum age of 21 for the check-in process and require both photo id and credit card.

You may have to put this off for a few more years.

Rich

jobi

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I've actually been 19 for the last 10 years. :D Time marches on..

Bill4728

Reaction score
Our TS in Canada does not allow anyone to checkin unless they are 19. ( even if they are an owner)

e.bram

Reaction score
I do not see how anyone could stop you from occupying(sp?) if you are the owner in fee(on the deed) and the MFs are current. You are NOT checking in

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I do not see how anyone could stop you from occupying(sp?) if you are the owner in fee (on the deed) and the MFs are current. You are NOT checking in

Nice in theory, but...
From whom do you get the key? What happens if someone complains about your keg party?
Who do you call if the A/C breaks? How do you settle your bill at the end of your stay?

As I said B4, whatever you own, your use is still subject to the bylaws, covenants, declarations and whatnot. Just as zoning ordinances control the use of your house, "rules are rules." Sometimes they're enforced, sometimes not.

e.bram

Reaction score
You are citizen at 18 and the Constitution of the United States protects your rights to own and use your property.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You are citizen at 18 and the Constitution of the United States protects your rights to own and use your property.

ROFLMAO! Is this delusion self-generated or product of a something you're taking?

Added for clarity...
Those 18 and over have the right to vote by Constitutional amendment, but the definition of the age-of-majority is not stated in the Constitution. That is left to individual states to determine. States which grant majority at age 18, nevertheless, impose a variety of restrictions on those between 18 and 21. States also allow or impose restrictions on property use in a variety of ways.

Currently, in my neighborhood, covenants to which we are subject prohibit us homeowners from placing arbors, bird-baths, decks, gazebos, pergolas, and spas in our backyards. Guess what, the U.S. Constitution does not say that we have a right to do so. However, we're going to vote on amending this covenant soon.

Last edited:

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score

Think you may have meant adult at 18, but in US, even at 18, you cannot drink etc. I am not sure if you are an owner in US if the 21 rule applies or if that is just for exchanges like thru RCI.

My son owns in Mexico....and in Mexico there is no difference between 18 or 21, as an owner. He also has a credit card and such, so no issue with any fees at end of stay etc.

We own many timeshares in Mexico and many have our sons on them as well. The ones that were oh my gosh ( stupid) bought developer asked if we were sure we wanted sons names on them, as at 18, they could use them at will, since considered owners.

In US seems at 18 you are half adult...so you better really check the resort, state and country laws.

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate the info guys. You confirmed what I suspected and that was that it could possibly be an issue for him at check in even if he owned the timeshare.

He and his friends like to go now and it seems a shame to pay for hotel rooms when we have all these great timeshares available, but he will be 21 soon enough.

Thanks,
Cindy