• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MFC email offer exchange for MRP (60k bonus)

Good idea or bad idea?

• Total voters

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a gold week at MFC (Frenchman's Cove in St Thomas). Usually the trade opportunity is our week for 90,000 Marriott Rewards Points. Typically this is a pretty bad deal. However, given how much of a pain it was to rent the unit out this year (we have a seven month old and would rather not travel quite yet with her), I am tempted to take them up on this offer.

It specifically states it's for the 2018 Gold week at MFC and in addition to the normal 90,000 MRP, we'd get 60,000 more for a total of 150,000 MRP.

We have a 5-night travel cert sitting in my MRP account, with another 200,000 points. I'm thinking that since the "retail value" of 150,000 MRP is about $1800, which isn't too much less than our maintenance fees, this may be an "ok" offer from a headache/time/energy/hassle perspective for next year.

We plan on using our week in 2019 but probably not next year. I really don't want to deal with tire kicker renters again and I'd rather lock in my value as soon as I can, just like how we book 12 months out.

Thoughts? I know it's nowhere near the best value but it seems to be a decent value, which is not typically offered, and has very minimal hassle. I suppose I could just submit the week to the Marriott rental program, but last time we did that, we got offered $1300 less the rental fee.

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
To add, I mentioned the 5-night cert and 200k points we already have in case anyone sees an opportunity in the future for us to use the 5-night cert and upgrade it (it's cat 1-5 right now) with 350k points to perhaps get a suite at a hotel over the next year or two with our daughter. Might be a solid redemption at a Ritz or something.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To add, I mentioned the 5-night cert and 200k points we already have in case anyone sees an opportunity in the future for us to use the 5-night cert and upgrade it (it's cat 1-5 right now) with 350k points to perhaps get a suite at a hotel over the next year or two with our daughter. Might be a solid redemption at a Ritz or something.
I have not heard of this type of offer before and normally I don't even consider exchanging for MR Points since they have devalued so much over the years.
However, with a bonus points offer at a time when it may not be convenient to use my home week and with plans to use MR points for a Travel Package (upgraded?) I would consider it as a possible and reasonable option.

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of this type of offer before and normally I don't even consider exchanging for MR Points since they have devalued so much over the years.
However, with a bonus points offer at a time when it may not be convenient to use my home week and with plans to use MR points for a Travel Package (upgraded?) I would consider it as a possible and reasonable option.
Thanks for the input. Let me clarify: we redeemed some MRPs a year or two ago for a 5-night travel package to utilize the airline points. We have since had a 5-night certificate (cat 1-5) sitting in the MR account and continue to have it renewed and have done so I believe two or three times so far. These can be booked in other peoples' names but we haven't found anyone who would like to use it (friends/family). So, since I have 200k MRPs already, and adding another 150k puts us around 350k, we'd be able to upgrade the cat1-5 5-night cert. to something pretty good.

If you were unaware, you can up/downgrade the travel certs at will. Originally, we had redeemed a few hundred thousand MRPs for a 5-night cat 9 hotel and airline points. Then we downgraded, to not tie up about 180k points (we had 20k remaining, hence the 200k we have now).

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I haven't EVER heard of them making an offer to enhance the Marriott Rewards Points exchange value for eligible Weeks! We all know that they haven't done it over the years in conjunction with routine devaluations in the program, but neither have they ever done it as a one-off for only certain Weeks/resorts/seasons. Hopefully this might be a true enhancement that will happen more frequently now that it's been put on the table, but I'll admit that my first thought is that there's a problem that's causing them to be desperate for inventory at MFC.

I don't have a similar offer in my email, am interested to know if anyone else does?

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. I think they have some sort of inventory problem. When I submitted my week for rental for 2017, we got offered $1300 or $1400, as I previously stated. When submitting it for 2018, they said there was no more room in the rental pool and that I should rent the week on my own. But if they need more weeks, one would think they'd have gladly accepted my week for rent?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I agree. I think they have some sort of inventory problem. When I submitted my week for rental for 2017, we got offered $1300 or $1400, as I previously stated. When submitting it for 2018, they said there was no more room in the rental pool and that I should rent the week on my own. But if they need more weeks, one would think they'd have gladly accepted my week for rent?
They may want it for something other than renting it. DC exchanges?

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well they are paying me and doing whatever they please with it if it's in the "rental pool" right? They effectively rent it from me, and then go resell it either at rack rates or whatever they please.

jeremykerri

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get this or have thoughts on it? I'm leaning toward it but I know I can convert to VC points and rent them out and collect about $1500... Decisions decisions.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the same email offer for my gold MFC week. I received a similar offer for my MFC gold week once before but I think it was a couple of years back. I believe I posted about it once but can't find the post