*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Mayan Palace timeshare: exchange company questions (HSI/SFX/???)

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by rjsweet_1234, Sep 21, 2011.

1. rjsweet_1234

rjsweet_1234 Guest

I recently purchased at the Mayan Palace in Riviera Maya. I was told during the sale that I would be going through HSI to do exchanges ($99 yearly fee, first year paid for), but was also given a free membership to SFX. I was contacted by a SFX rep last night, who told me that I would need to use SFX if I wanted to exchange beyond the Mayan Palace resorts (that HSI was limited to Mayan Palace exchanges - not consistent with my understanding of HSI). I believe there are different levels of SFX membership, I think he was pushing the highest level ($249 a year, or a $1,900 lifetime membership).

What do people typically use for exchanging Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan units (I would like to exchange beyond Mexico occasionally), and do you have any insights on HSI vs. SFX (do you think the SFX fees are worth it)? I was not expecting to ever pay anything beyond the yearly $99 HSI fee going forward (I also own a timeshare through II, I figured it was the same structure). Thanks.

2. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

How recent is "recently"? If it is still within your rescission period, rescind ASAP!

3. aliikai2

aliikai2 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

When ever someone calls you

They are trying to sell you something that you don't want or don't need and that describes this new SFX program.

SFX gold is a free membership, and that is all you need for 1 or 2 weeks of ownership.
    The trade fee is a little more as a gold member, but not enough to offset the $250 a year.
    I have never used HSI, nor do I know of anyone that has, it sounds really good when the timeshare weasels are telling you about it, but in truth it seems like a valueless program.

fwiw,

Greg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  4. falmouth3

falmouth3 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

There are 3 levels of membership at SFX. The Gold is free, the platinum membership fee varies with the length of your membership and the diamond is very expensive. Unless you want to take upscale cruises, I personally don't see a benefit to having the diamond membership.

Sue

5. croppers01

croppers01 TUG Member

I just traded in my DRI points and purchased at the Royal Mayan as well. I actually contacted HSI and got the details on their exchange program. It seems as though you exchange through them for $65 for Domestic trades and $90 for International trades. The only additional cost would be the differnce in cost of the week you deposited and the cost of the week you want to purchase. I haven't done any more research to find out what the typical cost is for some resorts that I'd be interested in but I guess we'll see.

6. MuranoJo

MuranoJo TUG Member

Did they mention you can also exchange through RCI?

7. Tropical lady

Tropical lady Guest

where did RCI go??

Adirondacker 1,
    When we purchased Mayan Palace we were set up with RCI and SFX. I know the programs change as do the contracts, but I am questioning why you are not mentioning RCI. Did they not include membership to RCI? With subsequent upgrades we were given HSI, The Registry Collection, and now II. All of these memberships were paid for by Grupo Vidanta for at least the first 2 years and with upgrades we included more paid membership. We still have all of these, but so far have only used RCI and II for the extra vacations and getaways.
    It is my understanding that you can exchange through any of these programs except TRC and II at the Mayan Palace level. I have not seen anything on the web site to indicate that any of these affiliations have been discontinued. I think that you would do best with RCI.
    If you do not see anything for RCI in your paperwork, call customer service and have someone from membership services (not sales, but the person you met with to sign the paperwork) call you about this. If you have the phone# for membership services then call directly.
    Hope this helps........

8. LynnW

LynnW TUG Member

We just have regular MP weeks and have had very good luck with SFX. I think HSI is useless.

Lynn

9. rjsweet_1234

rjsweet_1234 Guest

Info...

Thank you very much for the information. They did extend RCI membership for a year, I neglected to mention that. I have no familiarity with HSI or SFX - thus my questions. It sounds like I should pursue using either RCI or SFX to exchange my Mayan Palace unit... If anyone has suggestions/insights on using one over the other, I would appreciate it. Thanks.