*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

[May have to cancel II trade for this weekend]

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling, Renting' started by mcow2011, May 1, 2012.

1. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

I have a reservation made through II for [timeshare - check-in is this weekend.] This is a hard to get 2 bedroom. I hate to lose this reservation since I booked it a year ago but a close family member has had a stroke and we now might not be able to travel depending upon what happens between now and Sunday.

I called II today and they said that I could not get a credit since it is so close or even exchange for another week. The airline will issue us a refund but II will not work with me according to the rep I spoke with. Is this normal for II?

What are my options? Can I trade with some other timeshare owner this forum?

Can I sell or rent the week to someone else? I hate to see it not be used by anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  2. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The only option you have is to give it away since it is against II policy to sell or barter the week. Unfortunately that is your only legal option.

Even if you were to rent it against II policy (which many people discreetly do) you have so little time to do so I doubt you'll be able to.

I hope you had travel insurance.

3. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Doesn't Slum live on Oahu? I know it is short notice, but maybe he has family who could use it.

4. team2win

team2win Guest

When and where is the timeshare?

5. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

Not sure what travel insurance that you are talking about but the airlines will work with me just not II on such a short notice, but then who plans on a medical emergency for a long notice.

Does II offer insurance?

6. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I'm sorry, but that info. has been edited out of the post to comply with the no-advertising rule. If the OP wants to offer it to Tuggers, they can post it in the Sightings and Distressed Forum - but not here.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Yes - you were offered insurance when you placed your request. Some travel insurance also covers timeshares.

8. team2win

team2win Guest

I was trying to find out to see if anyone could help.. I don't think its advertising...

I'll pm the person then...

Thanks

9. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

When someone has a timeshare they can't use, others may see it as a week that is available for rent or for free, and those kinds of offers are not permitted in the discussion forums.

10. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

Sorry about that I did not realize that.

11. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

No worries! I knew that! ;)

12. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

II offers travel insuance?

I will have to call them tomorrow and see if I got that or not. Does it cover last minute medical cancelations? The person told me I would have been able to get a credit if I had canceled more than a week before the stay. But the medical problems started to late for that.

13. e.bram

e.bram Guest

[Typically rude response removed -

e.bram - the OP said they would call II to see if they "got" the insurance. I don't know about New Jersey, but here in California, "got" is past tense, meaning the OP wondered if they "got" the insurance when they put in the ongoing request - not if they can "get" insurance now. Sometimes your "biting wit" is missing the wit. - DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2012
  14. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

Good news as luck would have it I DID BUY the insurance.

Thanks to all who offered to help.

15. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

YAY! I can't believe the Rep. didn't check that when you called the first time! :rolleyes:

16. mcow2011

mcow2011 TUG Member

Me either. Good thing I called back and asked.

They are telling me that i can get up to $1,000 back at least that is better than nothing.

Thanks again for your assistance.

My relative is also improving today. Things are looking up.

17. sfwilshire

sfwilshire TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

II is pretty sneaky in that regard. When you go through the windows to complete an exchange, they have the insurance button checked. You must uncheck the box to avoid buying it. It would be easy to overlook that. In this case, it worked out for you. :whoopie:

I'm glad to hear your relative is doing better. Thanks for sharing the info.

Sheila