• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui Sunset in Kihei

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has any recent experience at this resort. It gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and the reviews on TUG are limited. Any information would help. Thanks.

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I visited friends there about 5 years ago. Certainly seemed to be nice resort then. No recent experiences though.

Sterling

taffy19

Reaction score
This was our very first timeshare we bought in the early 80s. We still own it today and stay there every year after our visit to the Marriott and Hyatt also in Maui the two weeks before.

We still love this little place (1 BR) and we have a great view (fixed week/unit) which makes it even more special. We love our Lanai because we are in the shade but that depends what time of year it is. We found that out too when we rented a different time period. The condo is well equipped and our management does a good job keeping it up to date and is very accommodating. Since it is a small independent resort, we got to know the developer family. They have a Travel Agency near Seattle and rent Maui Sunset condos too.

It isn't a hotel timeshare resort with all the hotel amenities attached to it so you can't really compare it to a Marriott or Hyatt timeshare resort. Also, the beach isn't as nice as Ka'anapali Beach but it was always good for making a long walk. Last year, many trees fell over and were laying on the beach so it was much harder to do nor is it a good beach for swimming or snorkeling because it is on a dead reef but when you get past the reef, you will see several turtles that are always there. We used to drive to good snorkeling beaches in Wailea or Peruse Bay plus there are three public beaches in Kihei with free parking.

The weather and sunsets are often better in Kihei than at Kaanapali, IMHO. This resort is practically next door to the Maui Schooner and is much better known here on the TUG Board plus it has a higher rating. You may try to stay there. I have stayed there and it has been remodeled completely not too long ago and looks nice. Their management is very accommodating too as I know this all too well when my husband had the stroke.

If you found the Maui Sunset trade on II, then it should be our timeshare. There is a second timeshare resort at the Maui Sunset but they do not trade in II and I know nothing about that developer. I know that the reviews are very mixed but besides the second developer, some of the owners rent their condos out too and may not have done any upgrading in many years. The two buildings are from the 70s. There are reviews from other timeshare owners too and most seem to like it. We do and have no intention to sell it yet until we can no longer travel at all.

What time of the year do you plan to go and are you looking for a 1 or 2 BR condo?

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was our very first timeshare we bought in the early 80s. We still own it today and stay there every year after our visit to the Marriott and Hyatt also in Maui the two weeks before.

We still love this little place (1 BR) and we have a great view (fixed week/unit) which makes it even more special. We love our Lanai because we are in the shade but that depends what time of year it is. We found that out too when we rented a different time period. The condo is well equipped and our management does a good job keeping it up to date and is very accommodating. Since it is a small independent resort, we got to know the developer family. They have a Travel Agency near Seattle and rent Maui Sunset condos too.

It isn't a hotel timeshare resort with all the hotel amenities attached to it so you can't really compare it to a Marriott or Hyatt timeshare resort. Also, the beach isn't as nice as Ka'anapali Beach but it was always good for making a long walk. Last year, many trees fell over and were laying on the beach so it was much harder to do nor is it a good beach for swimming or snorkeling because it is on a dead reef but when you get past the reef, you will see several turtles that are always there. We used to drive to good snorkeling beaches in Wailea or Peruse Bay plus there are three public beaches in Kihei with free parking.

The weather and sunsets are often better in Kihei than at Kaanapali, IMHO. This resort is practically next door to the Maui Schooner and is much better known here on the TUG Board plus it has a higher rating. You may try to stay there. I have stayed there and it has been remodeled completely not too long ago and looks nice. Their management is very accommodating too as I know this all too well when my husband had the stroke.

If you found the Maui Sunset trade on II, then it should be our timeshare. There is a second timeshare resort at the Maui Sunset but they do not trade in II and I know nothing about that developer. I know that the reviews are very mixed but besides the second developer, some of the owners rent their condos out too and may not have done any upgrading in many years. The two buildings are from the 70s. There are reviews from other timeshare owners too and most seem to like it. We do and have no intention to sell it yet until we can no longer travel at all.

What time of the year do you plan to go and are you looking for a 1 or 2 BR condo?
I traded for this unit recently on II for next June 2018. Thought we would spend a week in Kihei before our usual 4 weeks at the Marriott in Kaanapali. Thanks for responding. Looking forward to our week in Kihei.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We also own in Kihei (at Maui Hill). One of our favorite restaurants is Café O Lei. It's in a kind of strip mall, and doesn't look like much from the outside. But the food is very good. We also love Ono Gelato. :)

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also own in Kihei (at Maui Hill). One of our favorite restaurants is Café O Lei. It's in a kind of strip mall, and doesn't look like much from the outside. But the food is very good. We also love Ono Gelato. :)
Thanks for the tip. Kihei has always looked like an area we would enjoy. Looking forward to spending more time there.

taffy19

Reaction score
I traded for this unit recently on II for next June 2018. Thought we would spend a week in Kihei before our usual 4 weeks at the Marriott in Kaanapali. Thanks for responding. Looking forward to our week in Kihei.
Will it be a 1 BR or 2 BR condo? The reason I am asking this is that most 2 BR condos are on the ocean front but there are a few that are further back. Most condos have a decent ocean view because the condos inside are angled towards the ocean. There will not be much view on the ground floor unless you are close to the front.

Since they are fixed week/units you will end up, most likely, with the unit that was exchanged. If the building and condo number are on your confirmation, please, let me know and I can tell you where it is. I can send you a site plan too.

taffy19

Reaction score
You are on the third floor so should have an ocean view but the condo is quite far back so closer to the street. I will try to send you a map by PM. I don't know if I should post this here or not without asking permission first. The big developers do not seem to mind but this is a small independent resort.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a problem. We spend most of the day out of the condo at the beach or pool and go out most evenings for dinner. I'm just happy to know it's a nice place to stay and you're happy with the complex. I'm not expecting a Marriott. Just being in Maui is so much fun with so much to do it will be nice to have a 5th week at a reasonable price.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are on the third floor so should have an ocean view but the condo is quite far back so closer to the street. I will try to send you a map by PM. I don't know if I should post this here or not without asking permission first. The big developers do not seem to mind but this is a small independent resort.

Aloha Emmy: As you move from Kihei to the high rent district there is an upscale restaurant on the ocean side with incredible views and top notch food. I'd recommend it if I could remember the name. We usually go there the first day when the plane arrives at 1300 hrs and we can't get into the Maui Schooner.

Do you know the name of that restaurant?

Sterling

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Aloha Emmy: As you move from Kihei to the high rent district there is an upscale restaurant on the ocean side with incredible views and top notch food. I'd recommend it if I could remember the name. We usually go there the first day when the plane arrives at 1300 hrs and we can't get into the Maui Schooner.

Sterling
Are you thinking of Gannon's? I think you're the one who kept recommending it to me. We wanted to go there for our anniversary this year, but they are having a private party that night. We will go another night instead.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yes, it is Gannon's. Sterling recommended it to us. :)

taffy19

Reaction score

Sterling
Now I wonder if you are referring to another restaurant in Lahaina? We move from Lahaina to Kihei and not the other way around. Every time we miss you by a few days or weeks. I hope that both of you are doing well.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I wonder if you are referring to another restaurant in Lahaina? We move from Lahaina to Kihei and not the other way around. Every time we miss you by a few days or weeks. I hope that both of you are doing well.

The area is further away from Lahina than Keihei.

Seriously considering getting out of time share because of health issues.

Sterling

taffy19

Reaction score
You often posted about Gannon's and also celebrated a special event there. You highly recommended this restaurant here on TUG. There is another one right on the beach by the name of 5 Palms. We enjoyed our meal there and service was excellent and the view too. This was a few years ago but the restaurant is still there.

Really sorry to hear about your health issues so that you may have to give up going to Hawaii every year. Sell your timeshares and take advantage of last minute good deals. I found a few this morning for the Big Island if we could go on the spur of the moment but then the airfares may be outrageous so you really don't save much.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You often posted about Gannon's and also celebrated a special event there. You highly recommended this restaurant here on TUG. There is another one right on the beach by the name of 5 Palms. We enjoyed our meal there and service was excellent and the view too. This was a few years ago but the restaurant is still there.

Really sorry to hear about your health issues so that you may have to give up going to Hawaii every year. Sell your timeshares and take advantage of last minute good deals. I found a few this morning for the Big Island if we could go on the spur of the moment but then the airfares may be outrageous so you really don't save much.

5 Palms is right across the street from our timeshare Maui Hill. Lovely setting. We've only had lunch there. I thought the food was good, not exceptional, but the setting is what makes it, as long as you can eat outside.

taffy19

Reaction score
We had dinner there inside but still had a fantastic view. We were there during sunset and our dinner was good.

I never recommend restaurants ever again because we have been so embarrassed once recommending a restaurant to our friends that we enjoyed before. It is the same with other restaurants too where we went back and didn't like it anymore. It really seems to depend on the Chef that evening and what mood the stafff is in.

Our disaster was with Roy's in Kihei. We found out later that the staff had walked out that evening and the restaurant didn't stay in business much longer after that. Roy's has a good name so you would expect it to be consistent everywhere. We have one close to home and our experience has been good there.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had dinner there inside but still had a fantastic view. We were there during sunset and our dinner was good.

I never recommend restaurants ever again because we have been so embarrassed once recommending a restaurant to our friends that we enjoyed before. It is the same with other restaurants too where we went back and didn't like it anymore. It really seems to depend on the Chef that evening and what mood the stafff is in.

Our disaster was with Roy's in Kihei. We found out later that the staff had walked out that evening and the restaurant didn't stay in business much longer after that. Roy's has a good name so you would expect it to be consistent everywhere. We have one close to home and our experience has been good there.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a similar experience at the Golf Course Restaurant in Princeville. It was operated by chef Hoity Toity. The appetizer was, believe it or not, cold burned black, popcorn. And it was served to all the unfortunate customers that evening.

Sterling

taffy19

Reaction score
Sterling, was it Gannon's?

Do you remember that you liked the restaurant very close to the Maui Schooner too? It had very good Jazz one night a week. I bought several CD's from the band. I believe that he went back to New York City after that.

The restaurant changed to an Indian Restaurant. We have been there several times and local Indian people really seem to like it and eat often there. We did too but not that same music all night long. I believe that they are open now again for breakfast. We loved to walk over there and then walk back.

We also used to like Joe's Bar & Grill but it closed and then opened again and I have no idea what happened at the end. I just Googled it and found this story and video clip by Beverly Gannon.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We also used to like Joe's Bar & Grill but it closed and then opened again and I have no idea what happened at the end. I just Googled it and found this story and video clip by Beverly Gannon.
Emmy, thanks for this information. We liked Joe's the time or two we went there before they closed. We'll check out the area and see if anything is going on when we're there. We'll be on Maui in a little more than two weeks. I can hardly wait!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
For Breakfast we like Kihei Cafe. Cash only.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For Breakfast we like Kihei Cafe. Cash only.
We keep hearing how good this is but still haven't been. It looks like it is always so crowded. Maybe this next trip.