TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Maui MOC 2BR Garden View Advice

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by NboroGirl, May 18, 2017.

1. NboroGirl

NboroGirl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    I'll be visiting MOC for the first time in early August. Our exchange got us a 2BR/3Bath garden view at MOC. Seeing as how I traded a 3BR peak week for this, I wish I had held out for a better view, but water under the bridge.

Looking at http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...uilding-floor-to-request.243288/#post-1905889, it looks like the 2BR GV locations are the back of the Lanai tower, with a view of... the sports court/parking lot/buildings, OR the back corner of Maui wing with a view of the road, OR a low floor (1st or 2nd) in the Molokai tower facing the pool. Does this sound right?

Given that we exchanged in, I'm assuming I'll get a villa in the back of the Maui wing facing the roadway. :( If given a choice between a high floor on the back of the Lanai tower or a low floor facing the pool in the Molokai tower, which would you choose? Do you have any suggestions on snaring a room that does not look out on the road? (Does bribery work? Ha, JK!) I regret not rejecting this trade and waiting for a better view since this may be my last time in Maui. I had a 4 month trade-window (Aug. - Nov.) so I should have waited. To be honest, I was just so happy to get a 2BR that I jumped on it when it was offered.

2. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    I've always thought the Garden View rooms in the Lanai Tower have decent views (not great, but decent). They are modestly better than Peak-a-boo ocean views, but not good enough to be consider a true Ocean View. But when you are out on the lanai and you are sitting on a chair looking at the ocean, you will be glad to see water.

If I had traded in, I would be asking for highest floor possible in Lanai Tower, as far forward (close to the ocean) as possible. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Best,

Greg

3. Berea1

Berea1 TUG Member

Call now and make your request known and do so again three weeks before. Make sure you point out that you are a multiple Marriott's WEEKS OWNER AND that you ask that the assignment person consider that in the assignment. Patrick

4. NboroGirl

NboroGirl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    Thanks. Call whom? And what should my request be? Highest floor in Lanai closest to the front?

5. Berea1

Berea1 TUG Member

The telephone number is on the reservation certificate that you received ; it is the front desk at the resort. Since you belong to TUG [Timeshare Users' Group], go to the resort reviews for that resort and read the reviews as to which building and floor you should request for your stay. I booked two nights for my daughter on my Marriott Visa card at Marriott Grande Vista in a studio. TUG reviews seemed to rate Building 82, fourth floor or above so I made that request and she got it. Patrick

6. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), Aulani, Worldmark
    Yes -- phone is 808/667-1200 and ask for Room Assignments Coordinator. Good luck and let us know what you get!

Best,

Greg

7. gblotter

gblotter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mountainside x 2
    Maui Ocean Club x 2
    Ko Olina x 1
    When you exchange in to a resort, there is no guarantee of view category (and it doesn't matter what kind of unit you were using to get the trade). Holding out for a different trade likely would not have produced a better view.

As an exchanger, you will not get high priority for unit assignments. You will take your place behind Maui Ocean Club owners and those who reserved using DC points. I know they also put priority on when you made your reservation (i.e. an early reservation made 13 months ahead gets higher priority than a later reservation made 6 months ahead). But it never hurts to make a request. Who knows - maybe you'll get lucky and they'll give you what you want.

As a multi-week owner at Maui Ocean Club who reserves at the 13-month window, I have always been very pleased with my unit assignments. I would be quite upset if an exchanger was given higher priority than me.

8. NboroGirl

NboroGirl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    Thanks, Greg. I will!

9. NboroGirl

NboroGirl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Grande Vista
    I understand all that, which is why I wrote in my initial post that as an exchanger, I'll probably end up with a 2BR in the back of the Maui wing facing the roadway. As an owner, I have no problem with Marriott giving owners the best rooms. I just wondered if there was a way to maybe improve my chances of getting the best of the worst rooms, not that that there are any BAD rooms on Maui. :)

10. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that the OP get higher priority. While an exchanger is never guaranteed any view, it does seem that MOC is one of the few remaining properties that keep exchangers in to the unit code that they exchanged in to. I say this because we were considering having to make a trade for a 1BR and a studio just to get a 2BR and people suggested that they could be easily separated because of the unit codes and that people have had to move rooms when they had two different view codes on two back to back exchanges. The resort seems to be adamant to keep the guests in to what the original deposit was, for the OP that is garden view and they fully expect to be placed there. Though there is always an off chance for a change to something better, one just can't expect it. THey certainly can't be placed with any less of a view than they have now.

It also isn't like the OP is not a Marriott owner at all and exchanging in with a non Marriott. They are a multiple week Marriott owner that used their Marriott week to exchnage in to MOC. No different really than an enrolled owner using DC points from another ownership to exchange in? They will be placed in the priority order accordinly.

11. gblotter

gblotter TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mountainside x 2
    Maui Ocean Club x 2
    Ko Olina x 1
    Good points.

The main difference is that a DC points reservation pays more (in the number of points) to get the desired view category.

For those with an adventurous spirit, gamble on an exchange and try to work the system to get the best view possible.

If views really matter to you, go with a DC points reservation to nail down the view category.

Side Note: Not all MVCI resorts are the same as Maui Ocean Club regarding rigid allocation of view categories. I recently traded 2BR Maui Ocean Club (mountain view) for 2BR Ko Olina. When the trade came through, it said Ocean View Penthouse. Because there is no guarantee of view category, I was sure that would be changed to Mountain View, but they actually gave us Ocean View Penthouse! What a great trade that was.