• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui DC Pts - 3 Nights (DC Pts Input)

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Looking to use DC Pts for cover a gap of 3 nights in Maui. Feb 18, 19, 20 of 2018. I need at minimum a 1BR, preferably 2BR. I am okay with any view, but prefer not to move rooms. I have 2,775 pts to use. Not looking to rent more unless I absolutely have to.

In looking online, not much availability larger than a studio. I did find a 2BR IV new towers on Feb 18th, so grabbed that for now.

Being new to using DC Pts, what is the best approach here?
  1. I currently have a 2 day waitlist request for Feb 19th/20th for the same 2BR IV that I have on Feb 18th. What's the chance this will come through? Is this the best approach?
  2. Is it better to have waitlist for the individual days of Feb 19th and 20th and grab them individually vs a 2 day request?
  3. Cancel Feb 18th 2BR IV, and request 3 day wait list for a broader set of 1BR/2BR that are within my DC Pts allocation?
  4. Other?
Mahalo!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am skeptical that the 2Br IV waitlist is going to clear. Therefore your points are tied up and you can't search online for availability.

I would cancel the one night and set up a waitlist for 3 days in whatever size unit you are looking for, that's within 2,775 points. I think your looking for someone who has not yet elected their week but will still do so. Tough to tell.

Let me know what you think and happy to help with searches.

Best,

Greg

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Thanks Greg. I'm thinking the same. Cancel the one night, and request all 3 together....using multiple 1BR and 2BRs within the 2,775 pts. I'm thinking that opens up my opportunity of a match. New to the DC game...so just unsure of my probability of match during this high peak time.

Really hate that I cannot search since my pts are tied up into a waitlist. Really not sure why MVC does that. Very annoying.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thanks Greg. I'm thinking the same. Cancel the one night, and request all 3 together....using multiple 1BR and 2BRs within the 2,775 pts. I'm thinking that opens up my opportunity of a match. New to the DC game...so just unsure of my probability of match during this high peak time.

Really hate that I cannot search since my pts are tied up into a waitlist. Really not sure why MVC does that. Very annoying.
Yes, I agree, it is a little bothersome that MVC ties up the points. But I think you are on the right track by setting up the widest possible search that meets your needs, and then let TUGgers know what you're looking for that's outside your point capability.

A TUGger may find it and alert you to its potential and then you can rent points (or pass). Just a thought.

Best,

Greg

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had luck wait listing a higher view and asking for anything that level or less at this property. I worked my way up to 2 BR OF a few years ago doing this starting with a studio IV & 1 BR OV then 2 BR OV then OF (newer tower). I don't think this is done officially though.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Thanks. They do have availability for 2BR OF (new) for those 3 days but for 3,800 DC Pts. Yikes. Seems like a lot for 3 days! While perhaps interested, that would require me to rent another 1,025 pts which I am trying to avoid. I think I'll call MVC later today and cancel both my 1 day reservation and 2 day waitlist..and just add a 3 day waitlist for anything 1BR/2BR which I can afford with my existing pts. I would have to think that it would come through in the next 6 months.

I still find it frustrating that I cannot search DC Pts inventory prior to electing pts, nor can I search when they hold my pts via waitlist, nor can I see available inventory that is over my DC Pts allocation.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I still find it frustrating that I cannot search DC Pts inventory prior to electing pts, nor can I search when they hold my pts via waitlist, nor can I see available inventory that is over my DC Pts allocation.
I believe the last part of that no longer holds true. You can now do some searching even if you only have a very small quantity of points available in your account. I don't think you can get to the point where you can see what views are available, but you can at least see availability (including bedroom size) for ressies over and above the points you currently have available ( points available = current year + borrowable).

I currently have 5 2017 points in my account and no points available for 2018. With those 5 points, I am able to see availability for the rest of 2017. I can also see 2018, but that could be because I have 2019 points that can be borrowed back...so that is not a good scientific test...but surely the 2017 availability with only 5 points to look with proves they have increased functionality in this area.

So perhaps if your largest wait list leaves you a small number of points in your account, you can at least do some limited searching.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I believe the last part of that no longer holds true. You can now do some searching even if you only have a very small quantity of points available in your account. I don't think you can get to the point where you can see what views are available, but you can at least see availability (including bedroom size) for ressies over and above the points you currently have available ( points available = current year + borrowable).

I currently have 5 2017 points in my account and no points available for 2018. With those 5 points, I am able to see availability for the rest of 2017. I can also see 2018, but that could be because I have 2019 points that can be borrowed back...so that is not a good scientific test...but surely the 2017 availability with only 5 points to look with proves they have increased functionality in this area.

So perhaps if your largest wait list leaves you a small number of points in your account, you can at least do some limited searching.

Hmm. That is odd. My account cannot do that. While I still have pts to search, I get the following message when there is availability, but not within the pts I have left. As a result, it doesn't even show me what is 'available'. Only the error message.

"Either you do not have sufficient points to complete the transaction, or we were unable to process the transaction with your points. Please contact Owner Services if you need assistance."

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
dd.
Hmm. That is odd. My account cannot do that. While I still have pts to search, I get the following message when there is availability, but not within the pts I have left. As a result, it doesn't even show me what is 'available'. Only the error message.

"Either you do not have sufficient points to complete the transaction, or we were unable to process the transaction with your points. Please contact Owner Services if you need assistance."
That is odd. I don't get that message until AFTER I click on an available date without sufficient points (I only have 25 in my account.)

When you click "Check Availability" it doesn't show you a calendar with available dates?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

I am using flexible search. Are you doing that? Perhaps that is the magical difference.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I am using flexible search. Are you doing that? Perhaps that is the magical difference.

Yes. I tried both...with Flexible On and Flexible Off. Same result. It will state availability for Feb 19th as an example, but when I click to show me, it will not show me anything above the pts I have. I'm searching using Legacy Pts....are you using DC Trust Pts? Wonder if there is a difference? Or maybe it limits what I can see based on how many total pts I've elected for that use year?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
dd.
That is odd. I don't get that message until AFTER I click on an available date without sufficient points (I only have 25 in my account.)

When you click "Check Availability" it doesn't show you a calendar with available dates?

When I click "Check Availability", it does show me the calendar with available dates. When I click a specific date...say Feb 18th...it will not show me anything above what I can 'afford'. Instead, it will give me the message above. For instance, a 2BR OF is available all 3 of the dates I need. But the website will not tell me that. Instead, it returns the message above. Only reason I know that is what's available, is b/c the MVC rep on the phone told me. But, I could not see it.

Am I doing something wrong when searching? This seems rudimentary.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
When I click "Check Availability", it does show me the calendar with available dates. When I click a specific date...say Feb 18th...it will not show me anything above what I can 'afford'. Instead, it will give me the message above. For instance, a 2BR OF is available all 3 of the dates I need. But the website will not tell me that. Instead, it returns the message above. Only reason I know that is what's available, is b/c the MVC rep on the phone told me. But, I could not see it.

Am I doing something wrong when searching? This seems rudimentary.

I think you are seeing what we are seeing, but after inputting your resort and dates (and I checked....it does NOT have to be a flexible search), and then hit search....the info that comes up in the next page shows what size unit(s) is available...even if you only have 5 points in your account (and nothing borrowable) like me. It does NOT show view type on that screen. At that point, if you click Check Availability, if you do not have enough points, it will give you the message you are receiving. That said, if view is not important and you are merely wanting to see unit size availability for a specific date range, the system will show that if you only have a very limited amount of points in your account.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I think you are seeing what we are seeing, but after inputting your resort and dates (and I checked....it does NOT have to be a flexible search), and then hit search....the info that comes up in the next page shows what size unit(s) is available...even if you only have 5 points in your account (and nothing borrowable) like me. It does NOT show view type on that screen. At that point, if you click Check Availability, if you do not have enough points, it will give you the message you are receiving. That said, if view is not important and you are merely wanting to see unit size availability for a specific date range, the system will show that if you only have a very limited amount of points in your account.

Got it. So, I think we're talking the same thing. I can see whether Studio, 1BR, or 2BR are 'available'....but I cannot see the actual inventory based on view categories for each, or the required DC Pts needed if what is available is beyond my DC Pts allocation. I still wish I had the latter. Does me little good to know that a 1BR or 2BR is available, but that I cannot tell what view type or how many pts it costs. Instead, I have to call MVC to obtain that information.

Oh well. Thanks. I changed my waitlist to be all 3 days...anything 1BR to 2BR that I can afford. Hopefully it will come through.

As a side note. I bet if I exchanged my MGV week (full 2BR or 1BR lockout), I might have a better chance...and in that case..it would be for a full week not just 3 days. Only problem is, I only need 3 days not 7. :/ I have an extra 1BR I'm not using yet for 2018 from another week. Maybe I'll make an II request and see if it matches before DC Pts does. Would be an interesting case study.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes, we are all seeing the same thing. Just lost in translation. :p