• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Security Analyst Meeting

BigMac

Reaction score
If anyone's interested here is the link to the podcast of Marriott's big all day meeting yesterday with security analysts.
http://investor.shareholder.com/mar/eventdetail.cfm?EventID=181046

Some things I gleaned re Marriott Rewards and the Starwood merger were

a)2 million accounts are so far linked to both programs - but this is only 2% of total membership.
b)They are renegotiating their Reward Credit Card contracts with Chase and Amex which expire in 2018 and 2020 respectively. They expect to get a better deal from them. I got no indication that one or both of the cards would be dropped.
c)They are working to merge the two Rewards programs BUT it will be late 2018 or maybe 2019 before they do it.
d) before they merge the Rewards programs they will merge hotel searches on their website by second half of 2018. Prior to that they will have a crosslink where if there is no Marriott hotel available it will give a popup to go the Starwood.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Some things I gleaned re Marriott Rewards and the Starwood merger were

a)2 million accounts are so far linked to both programs - but this is only 2% of total membership.
That would mean there are 100 million members who have accounts in both programs. That can't be correct.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Marriott is certainly bullish on the hotel business, I would love to see similar info on VAC if we can ever find it. Thanks for posting this!

Best,

Greg

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

BigMac

Reaction score
I was surprised at that number too.
When I looked further though, Marriott Rewards on its own, way back in 2009, had 31 million members.
http://www.marriott2.typepad.com/files/print-version-marriott-rewards-1.pdf
I couldn't immediately find a more up to date factsheet - there is a challenge for someone.

It is 100 million in total for both programs with Marriott having the biggest share. Remember they said only 2% have linked their accounts although some people could be members in both programs and not yet linked. So It turns out there is an 11% overlap

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It is 100 million in total for both programs with Marriott having the biggest share. Remember they said only 2% have linked their accounts although some people could be members in both programs and not yet linked. So It turns out there is an 11% overlap
I just read a comparison of hotel loyalty programs that said Marriott and Starwood had a combined membership at the time of their merger of 75 million members. IHG was the largest with 92 million members.

Last edited:

BigMac

Reaction score
I just read a comparison of hotel loyalty programs that said Marriott and Starwood had a combined membership at the time of their merger of 75 million members. IHG was the largest with 92 million members.

Why don't you go to the link I gave and look at the Stephanie Linnartz presentation. The 100 million is on about the 10th slide in. Also don't forget this includes Ritz Carlton rewards