• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony- which building? Which airport?

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
We just booked a unit here via II this morning for next month. We have not been to this area in over 15 years. Have all of the units been updated? Which building should we request? A former colleague of mine advised me to try this resort since she owns at the Surf Club in Aruba and now likes this place the best. After doing a little research, I found that three airports are not too far. We have a choice of Williamsburg, Norfolk and Richmond, but I do not like long drives. I need to check my airline (Delta) to see which airport has the times we like and the cheapest airfare from the South. Are there any great tours and restaurants to visit?

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Please look at your confirmation. Are you booked in MMC or MSE?

SRTopDog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg is closest airport....And Williamsburg is a great place to see the history of the area, great Colonial restaurants in that area too. Not sure what the winter hours for things are, though, if applicable. Busch Gardens also nearby, but they may be shutdown for winter as well. Regardless, lots of nice places around there....One place for fine dining I'd recommend is Opus Nine...

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
RIC or Norfolk. Delta flies to RIC. SWA has flights to Norfolk, maybe RIC also. It's about a 30 minute easy drive.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
We've confirmed into MMC at Ford's Colony. My colleague advised me that she preferred this resort over the other. We have the same kind of tastes. I'm finding that the Richmond flights are higher than Norfolk and Williamsburg. We are two seniors and are not traveling with children. Thanks for the restaurant suggestion. Should we request a particular building?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you want to be near the clubhouse (outdoor & indoor heated pools, indoor & outdoor whirlpools, checkin area, fitness center, and a bistro) or In a quiet area?

The MMC side are all two bedroom villas and are very nice., plus the service at this resort is top notch in my humble opinion . I would ask for the Berkeley Bldg. for my first visit.

Personally, if you can fly into Williamsburg, I would suggest the Williamsburg airport, next the Richmond and last the Norfolk airport. Norfolk is last because of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel traffic., plus they are widening Interstate 64 from Newport News to Richmond. Please avoid Interstate 64 between 6 - 8 AM and 4-6 PM everyday.

This resort is very quiet and laid back.

The resort staff can give you an excellent list of restaurants in the area.

Good luck and enjoy this Elite Resort.:thumbup:

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We've confirmed into MMC at Ford's Colony. My colleague advised me that she preferred this resort over the other. We have the same kind of tastes. I'm finding that the Richmond flights are higher than Norfolk and Williamsburg. We are two seniors and are not traveling with children. Thanks for the restaurant suggestion. Should we request a particular building?
Definitely request Berkeley. It is the original building in the resort and Berkeley was originally built to be full ownership condominiums. With the exception of Kauai Lagoons, I think Berkeley has the nicest units of the 30 MVCI resorts I have stayed at, and we have been to many of the top rated ones. If you don't get Berkeley, however, you will still be very pleased with any of the other buildings on the MMC side.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely request Berkeley. It is the original building in the resort and Berkeley was originally built to be full ownership condominiums. With the exception of Kauai Lagoons, I think Berkeley has the nicest units of the 30 MVCI resorts I have stayed at, and we have been to many of the top rated ones. If you don't get Berkeley, however, you will still be very pleased with any of the other buildings on the MMC side.

I'm sorry Boca but I just don't agree. I like spacious but I like cozy. The first time we stayed at MMC we got into Berkeley . I had 2 teenagers with us. The unit was huge, but it seemed like a lot of empty space. The teenagers, though, liked exploring the loft. The kitchen layout was strange like an apartment. Another time we stayed at a regular 2 bedroom at MMC. Yes, the space was smaller but it seemed normal. This is a senior couple. How much space is comfortable and how much makes you feel like you're alone and the the rest of the group wasn't able to come?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We really enjoyed Murdoch's restaurant at the golf club next to the resort, we visited twice for dinner. We were disappointed with Fat Tuna, a ridiculous amount of food but not very good. There was a very good Mexican nearby but I can't remember the name, it was close to the Christmas shop (an odd experience in the middle of August!).

When we were at the resort we were in a villa overlooking the main reception, there was a lot of noise from the pool even at 10pm so if that's going to be an issue then it's worth bearing in mind.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really enjoyed Murdoch's restaurant at the golf club next to the resort, we visited twice for dinner. We were disappointed with Fat Tuna, a ridiculous amount of food but not very good. There was a very good Mexican nearby but I can't remember the name, it was close to the Christmas shop (an odd experience in the middle of August!).

When we were at the resort we were in a villa overlooking the main reception, there was a lot of noise from the pool even at 10pm so if that's going to be an issue then it's worth bearing in mind.
During this time of year the outdoor pool is open. But there are not a lot of people using the pool. We are here now and I have not seen anyone in the outdoor pool this week. We are leaving today. The weather has been ranging from the forty's to a couples of day's in the sixties and seventies during day times.
Enjoy your week at the Manor Club.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I'm sorry Boca but I just don't agree. I like spacious but I like cozy. The first time we stayed at MMC we got into Berkeley . I had 2 teenagers with us. The unit was huge, but it seemed like a lot of empty space. The teenagers, though, liked exploring the loft. The kitchen layout was strange like an apartment. Another time we stayed at a regular 2 bedroom at MMC. Yes, the space was smaller but it seemed normal. This is a senior couple. How much space is comfortable and how much makes you feel like you're alone and the the rest of the group wasn't able to come?
Interesting reaction that I have not heard before. My wife and I have stayed there several times in a 2BR by ourselves, including a loft room on two occasions. No teenagers, and we did not think it was too big for justv the two of us......in fact, I would call it rather "cozy" if by cozy you do not mean tiny. But I respect your opinion. Everyone has their own preferences.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting reaction that I have not heard before. My wife and I have stayed there several times in a 2BR by ourselves, including a loft room on two occasions. No teenagers, and we did not think it was too big for justv the two of us......in fact, I would call it rather "cozy" if by cozy you do not mean tiny. But I respect your opinion. Everyone has their own preferences.

On our upcoming trip we're in a 1 bedroom in MSE. I got that through a bonus week with II. Even though a 2 bedroom would be more than we need I sure would rather be on the MMC side. The decor is much more inviting and comfortable. The regular 2 bedroom would be fine.

Guess I'm a cottage dweller . . .

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The indoor pool is heated.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
On our upcoming trip we're in a 1 bedroom in MSE. I got that through a bonus week with II. Even though a 2 bedroom would be more than we need I sure would rather be on the MMC side. The decor is much more inviting and comfortable. The regular 2 bedroom would be fine.
The only lofts in Berkeley are on the top floor. The rest of the building is "regular" 2 BR units.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but the comment and my reply was in reference to the outdoor pool and it's lack of winter use.[/QUOTE

To the OP your observation & comments were correct and I understood your comments. I have seen some young male adults in the outdoors during the winter months horsing around when the outdoor temperatures were in the seventy's.. I just shook my head.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The MMC side has all 2 bedroom units. The MSE are also nice, but are the standard 2 bedroom Marriott 2 bedroom lock offs (studios and 1 bedrooms). We have been fortunate to stay in the Berkley building with the loft twice. My kids really enjoyed having their own floor. The units BIG and gorgeous! 2 1/2 baths. Walk in closets. Lot and lots of kitchen cabinet space. We really loved it, but I can understand 2 people feeling like it might be overkill and less cozy. Like someone mentioned, it is only the top floor rooms that have the lofts. The other floors have very nice decor and are a bit more upscale than MSE. We will be staying at Kauai Lagoons this summer, so I can't wait to compare.

For casual food, we really like Food for Thought. Theming is fun and food is very good. Great variety - ribs, seafood, meatloaf, and vegetarian dishes. Daily specials. Reasonable prices and management is excellent. My kids really like the Peking Mongolian Barbecue. It is a HUGE oriental buffet with large variety of items, including chinese, thai, and some Japanese. There is a sushi train and cook to order mongolian barbecue. TONS of food - go very hungry! A fun place to eat. Near Colonial Williamsburg is The Cheese Shop. Great sandwiches! Also lots of cheeses, gourmet foods and wines.

If you like tours, Colonial Williamsburg has many tours to offer. Jamestown and Yorktown are also worth a visit. My parents really liked the Maritime museum.

Have a great visit!

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Another recommendation - visit the Williamsburg Winery! The winery has some tours/wine tastings (small fee). The restaurant is very good also.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The lady in concierge is a former NY school teacher - she is a HOOT (sorry I forgot her name)! If she has a planning meeting, she has tons of recommendations and it might be worth your time if you haven't been to Williamsburg in a while. (I still remember her rant about why cursive writing is no longer taught to students when our 3 most important documents in US history are written in cursive - the Declaration of Independence, the Bill of Rights, and the Constitution.) Manor Club has some actor historians who give presentations at the resort (and Colonial Williamsburg uses for VIP tours). We have attended some and enjoyed them. Staff at Manor Club are top notch. You will have a great week!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just called my friend at the Marriott Manor Club front desk. To all reading this thread the "Out Door Pool," is heated. The temperature is set at 86 degrees.:thumbup:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last week they had "An Evening with Benjamin Franklin and an Evening with Mary Bucke one of the first English women in Virginia ! Hear the story of her amazing journey to the New World!

These speakers are located at the resort in the Colonial Room in the Governor Manor Building.

I enjoyed the following activities in the Colonial Room activity area: S'mores social, the ice cream social, and The Postcards Home(postage provided) & (Postcards and postage are free)!

Last edited: