*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

marriott usage/exchange question (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by pt95, Sep 17, 2008.

  1. pt95

    pt95 Guest

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Hello,
    I am new to the posting thing but I have a question... We are new Marriott owners. I am thankful for the folks who contribute here so thank you in advance!
    We are wanting to trade for 2 weeks in Hawaii. we have a 2 BR lockout optional at Canyon Villas gold season red weeks for II. I have been told to deposit in the shoulder week (40, I think) because it has better trading value. The demand is highest in that week for our resort. That means that I would wait until Oct 2nd (this year) to deposit the week and then request for one of our Hawaii weeks for 2010 (using the 1 BR). We would wait for next year to request for our 2nd Hawaii week in 2010 using the 2BR or lock out and use the 1 BR week again if we were feeling lucky. Does this sound like the best plan? Is there a benefit until waiting until October to deposit or does the demand for the week we deposit matter that much? I'm not sure I fully understand how best to utilize our weeks/deposits yet and would love any advice.....
    Our travel plans are very flexible and have actually been to Hawaii before the week after Labor Day and loved it because all the kids were in school so we actually like to go in the non peak seasons.
    Thanks for the help!
     
  2. bogeygolf

    bogeygolf TUG Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2005
    Messages:
    99
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    PA
    I will try to tackle this one but you might also want to submit this question to the marriott forum for others to chime in. The way it works is to first make a reservation with marriott owner services. Once you have a reservation confirmation then you are allowed to make a deposit for exchange with II. The earliest you can make a reservation is 1 year in advance unless you own multiple weeks which give you 13 months in advance.

    When depositing and requesting exchanges it is always better to do as soon as possible. II values your deposits for trade/exch. on many factors one of the most important is when you deposit your week for the exchange request. Also, you want to deposit a week that has the best demand/trade power and you can see this on II website looking up your resort under resort directory and click on link travel demand index. Week 40 in gold season at canyon villas seems to have the best trade value. Keep in mind if you are going to lockoff your 2br into 1br and studio you should do this when you make your reservation with marriott. You don't have to but if you want 2 weeks from your lockout you need to do this before making a deposit with II. Whether you make a request for hawaii with both 1bd and studio at same time or separately does not really matter. What's important to remember is that you want to make your exchange request as early as possible, this is very important.

    If you want to go to hawaii in 2010 for 2 weeks using 1bd and studio as deposit you definitely want to make this request asap and deposit both. If you want to go to hawaii one week each in 2010 and 2011, my suggestion is still to make this request asap in 2009 for both b/c you will get in line before others for the 2011 request. You can wait til 2010 to make your request for the 2011 week but it's always better if you can request sooner.

    Please read the sticky about II deposit/exchanges for more info on the exchanging forum.
     
  3. mas

    mas TUG Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Messages:
    619
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Twin Cities Area
    If you are using you 2009 Marriott week to deposit, don't wait, deposit it now and put in your requests for both weeks now (or as soon you are allowed to deposit it).

    If you are requesting Marriotts in Hawaii it is true that nothing will come through for the 2009 week until 12 to 13 months before you plan to travel, as owner's who will be depositing those weeks can't do so until then, but by requesting now, you can get your request in early and get your name at the top of the list.

    Also, you mentioned you are quite flexible as to when you can travel. Giving II as big a window as possible improves your chances to a successful exchange.

    Good luck.
     
  4. Dave M

    Dave M TUG Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    Messages:
    12,241
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Sun City Hilton Head, SC
    I have merged two threads started by the OP and deleted duplicate posts, which are not permitted on the TUG BBS.
     
  5. pt95

    pt95 Guest

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    thank you all very much for your help! I do want to clarify one thing..is it better to deposit weeks early in the gold season even if the trade demand is less than the end of gold season week we would deposit?
    thanks!
     
  6. Dave M

    Dave M TUG Lifetime Member

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    Messages:
    12,241
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Sun City Hilton Head, SC
    Best is to reserve the week that has the highest demand according to the II Demand Index. That will give you the highest trade value. Then to maximize that trade value, deposit the week soon after reserving the week. That's one reason for reserving a full year in advance. The earlier you deposit, the more trading power your week has.
     
  7. thinze3

    thinze3 TUG Member

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    6,230
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    Hypothetical:
    You want to trade into Hawaii in July of 2011 and wanted to use your 2011 Canyon Villas as a deposit.

    Question:
    Would you have a better chance to get that Hawaii trade using a Gold week 18 deposited 14 months before July '11 or a Gold week 40 deposited 9 months before July '11.

    Answer:
    Who knows? I would book week 18 and put in my request immediately. Later I would try to change my reservation and to week 40 a if II would let you KEEP you request confirmation number. A Marriott advisor can do this for you with a phone call.

    If not I would rather have week 18, with its slightly less "demand" at 14 months out because so many Hawaii deposits are made at 12 and 13 months out. I would like to have my request in when those deposits are made.


    Terry
     
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008

Share This Page