• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Resale Prices low??

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
My purchase of 2 annual island view weeks at Waiohai just passed ROFR at $5500 each. Being Waiohai, these are 2BR.
If Marriott is not exercising at that price at Waiohai - that has far fewer rooms than MKO - I think MKO is pretty safe.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously I meant trying to buy a week (Spain) via the UK market in an attempt to qualify. Too late obviously

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yes, I guessed, just having a little fun.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
But are MVC maintenance fees really increasing at a faster rate than other comparable resort systems like Vistana Signature Experiences, Hilton, etc.? I know my MVC fee increases over the last 3 years have been quite a bit lower than what I experienced in my previous 16 years in the Sunterra/Diamond system.
Our maintenance fees at Virgin Grand Villas, Westin St john have gone down for 6 years in a row now. Still not cheap, though. Caribbean weather does take it's toll.

Beachspace

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista / Harbour Lake
I think the higher maintenance fees on a 1BR which Custom House is likely scares folks away. It is also a RTU property. While, one could make the justification that if you purchase low...the value of those 7 nights vs a hotel...is higher than the maintenance fees at certain times in Boston. If I recall, I think Custom House has some interesting use options as well...to split the 7 nights?
I can see the RTU being a problem.

As far as MF fees, you're talking $1700 or so for the week. That's way under $300/night and you get a 1 bedroom with a kitchenette vs a regular room...and the regular rooms at places like the Hyatt Regency are $300-$750/night depending on when you go not to mention very expensive parking fees.

But still, people pay $20k and more for timeshares with RTU issues or high MF fees no problem. Surprised to see so many $1 and $500 1 bedrooms at Custom House in a very expensive city.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see the RTU being a problem.

As far as MF fees, you're talking $1700 or so for the week. That's way under $300/night and you get a 1 bedroom with a kitchenette vs a regular room...and the regular rooms at places like the Hyatt Regency are $300-$750/night depending on when you go not to mention very expensive parking fees.

But still, people pay $20k and more for timeshares with RTU issues or high MF fees no problem. Surprised to see so many $1 and $500 1 bedrooms at Custom House in a very expensive city.
I don't really understand what the problems/issues might be with RTU resorts?
Yes, they have an end date, although that is typically 30-50+ years down the road so not something that is of any real concern to me anyway.
Even then, if I understand correctly, either the agreement could be extended or the value of the assets at that point divided with owners receiving a share?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even then, if I understand correctly, either the agreement could be extended or the value of the assets at that point divided with owners receiving a share?
It depends on the deed and the resort. In some RTU resorts the ownership reverts to the developer and/or the owner of the land under the resort.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry; The issue may more involve smart money moves and what one leaves to their offspring after death. Obviously it makes more financial sense to leave a forever deed rather than an expiring RTU.

At least that is how I look at it....

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Ijmiii and The Time Traveller.
I will dust off my contracts and check what they actually say happens with my RTU resort weeks at end of term.
That is probably a good starting point.