• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Presentation Offer [to do or not do Bundle Package?]

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at Marriott Summitt Watch and went to a presentation mainly to get the gift, but now we are considering the points program. We are deeded week owners at Monarch that we bought resale through Marriott Hilton Head for a great price 18 years ago. It has always traded well with II. The offer is this-
We would be buying a deeded forclosure week at Marriott Surf Watch silver week for $3500 which would enroll our Marriott Monarch as well into the points program. The Marriott Surf Watch has 1925 points, the Monarch has 1900 points for a total of 3825 and we purchase 2000 points every year for a total of 5825 points. We would get a bonus of 2000 points for 2 years. So, 7,825 points for 2 years, and 5825 points after that. It will cost us $28,100 plus closing cost. We would charge the timeshare to the Marriott Rewards credit card and get 150,000 MR points, and then pay it off. So, we are buying the 3925 points for $7.16 a point. Do you think this a good deal? Would you do it? Buying the points and the timeshare is a package deal.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
If you have a good trader, I would think it's value as a week may be better than the points. Second, the points for the Surf watch plus your purchased 2000 points won't get you summer Surf Watch. You may say, who cares about HHI in the summer. This brings me to the main point... Go deal or bad deal.....What problem are you trying to solve by spending 28,000.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is it a good deal for going to the points program? Yeah, we realized that our Monarch with only 1900 points would never get us an equivalent. So, the sales person came back with this offer to get us to 5900 points.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We declined. I am happy with trading the week we own. The only thing we could see this giving us was more flexibility, but it's not worth the price.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If you want to dabble in the points program, either pay the fee to enroll your week, or buy an encore package that would enroll your week as part of it, and then just rent whatever additional points you want/need which is a much cheaper way to get at the DC flexibility you seek.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. What I realized is that we could always by more resale weeks on our own, and then enroll as well much cheaper than the price today.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I guess my question is it a good deal for going to the points program? Yeah, we realized that our Monarch with only 1900 points would never get us an equivalent. So, the sales person came back with this offer to get us to 5900 points.

I ask the question because if flexibility is what you are after, nothing offers more flexibility than cash. You are in a position where you can enroll your Monarch week to get into the program. We own two Monarch summer weeks, one purchased resale enrolled, the other purchased resale after 2010. One week is ocean front and rented for 2500. This turns into about 4100 points renting at .6 per point. My other week has a nice ocean view 4 units away and rents for at least 2000. This is another 3300 points using rental.

This being said, I have never exchanged for or rented points. I see it as a real big possible benefit when my wife who works in a school retires and we have felxibility in travel. The last two years I rented a week and traded a week. This year ny rental completely funded a week to Punta Cana. Last year it partially funded 10 days in Barcelona.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told that only 8% of Marriott owners have not enrolled in the points program. I think that made me wonder if this was something we should do. They also quoted a 97% satisfaction with the points program.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to see if the Encore package still exist. That sounds like the best option to get our week into the DC system. The presentation yesterday never discussed the fee just to get into the DC program. In fact, we were told that the minimum purchase of 1500 points was required. Then, we were offered the minimum purchase of 1000 points.

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were told that only 8% of Marriott owners have not enrolled in the points program. I think that made me wonder if this was something we should do. They also quoted a 97% satisfaction with the points program.

We're in the points program but we exchange. I didn't see a reason to not join when it was first offered. So what does it mean to be enrolled in the points program?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Just means you can trade your week for points, or for those of us with weeks with low point values, we can buy or rent points as needed...depositing them in our accounts, continuing to use our weeks as we have.

You're in a good position.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am going to see if the Encore package still exist. That sounds like the best option to get our week into the DC system. The presentation yesterday never discussed the fee just to get into the DC program. In fact, we were told that the minimum purchase of 1500 points was required. Then, we were offered the minimum purchase of 1000 points.
They didn't offer you an encore package at all? Tell them (the last person you talked to, not the salesman), that someone had told you previously you could enroll with the purchase of the encore which is why you went on the tour in the first place.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We are currently at Marriott Summitt Watch and went to a presentation mainly to get the gift, but now we are considering the points program. We are deeded week owners at Monarch that we bought resale through Marriott Hilton Head for a great price 18 years ago. It has always traded well with II. The offer is this-
We would be buying a deeded forclosure week at Marriott Surf Watch silver week for $3500 which would enroll our Marriott Monarch as well into the points program. The Marriott Surf Watch has 1925 points, the Monarch has 1900 points for a total of 3825 and we purchase 2000 points every year for a total of 5825 points. We would get a bonus of 2000 points for 2 years. So, 7,825 points for 2 years, and 5825 points after that. It will cost us $28,100 plus closing cost. We would charge the timeshare to the Marriott Rewards credit card and get 150,000 MR points, and then pay it off. So, we are buying the 3925 points for $7.16 a point. Do you think this a good deal? Would you do it? Buying the points and the timeshare is a package deal.

Darlene, we all have our reasons for getting into the points program (or not), adding to our portfolios (resale, points or not) and how we use our weeks or points. Its a very personal decision and really comes down to how and where and when you want to vacation. Its all about flexibility. I think the advice you got from the others was sound and I hope you can get the Encore package to at least be able to consider enrolling your week in the Points program.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the evidence of this.
Until I do, I simply do not believe it.
I am sure that far more owners are enrolled in the US, but relatively few of the owners I speak to here in Europe have enrolled so far and in Asia it was not even possible to enrol until mid 2016.
OK, these are only a handful of all the MVC resorts, but 92% enrolment rate and 97% satisfaction
- I don't think so.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not inconceivable that "only 8% of Marriott owners have not enrolled in the points program" if you interpret "Marriott Owners" to mean "Marriott Owners with pre-2010 'enrollable' weeks". Since enrollment has been 'free' for pre-2010 weeks for at least two years I could well believe that an overwhelming majority of those weeks are enrolled - whether through paying the enrollment fee, 'free' with a points purchase, or 'free' with an encore purchase.

As for 'satisfaction' it depends on where they put the bar on those surveys we get. That 97% of people who make a points reservation answer '6' or higher...absolutely. I doubt I've ever given less than an 8.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not inconceivable that "only 8% of Marriott owners have not enrolled in the points program" if you interpret "Marriott Owners" to mean "Marriott Owners with pre-2010 'enrollable' weeks". Since enrollment has been 'free' for pre-2010 weeks for at least two years I could well believe that an overwhelming majority of those weeks are enrolled - whether through paying the enrollment fee, 'free' with a points purchase, or 'free' with an encore purchase.

As for 'satisfaction' it depends on where they put the bar on those surveys we get. That 97% of people who make a points reservation answer '6' or higher...absolutely. I doubt I've ever given less than an 8.
These would be interesting definitions of "Marriott Owners" and "free".
Not ones that I would recognise, but very creative!
It would be good to know what level they set the bar at for measuring satisfaction.
I don't know, but I had some recollection that they aimed to score at least 8?

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to see the evidence of this.
Until I do, I simply do not believe it.
I am sure that far more owners are enrolled in the US, but relatively few of the owners I speak to here in Europe have enrolled so far and in Asia it was not even possible to enrol until mid 2016.
OK, these are only a handful of all the MVC resorts, but 92% enrolment rate and 97% satisfaction
- I don't think so.
I questioned the sales guy several times and asked about who and when they did the survey.

Darlene

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got a call about the Encore presentation. Interestingly, it was the sales office at Mountainside that called, not Summitt Watch. The Encore presentation package is now $995 for 5 days/4 nights package, and it will bring our week into the DC points program. That is the main reason we are doing it. We pay $185 a year as "club dues" but it covers our II memebership and exchange fees if we decide to exchange the week or MR points fee if we take MR points instead. BTW, our Monarch week gets 110,000 points every year if we choose that option. We get 50,000 points or $300 when we do the presentation. It freezes the points price at the current rate of $13.68 for 12 months here, and caps at the next point increase. There is a surcharge for some locations, and it does not include a rental car. I need to learn about renting points now. Thanks for the help, and information!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
That's a great MR annual amount. My Vail Week only gets 110,000 EOY. But with a $700 (appx) maintenance fee it actual makes taking MR points an option. Sounds like a great deal to give you some options.

Just wish I hadn't deposited my Vail Week in II before we knew about the Encore visit. But long term works out well.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We got a call about the Encore presentation. Interestingly, it was the sales office at Mountainside that called, not Summitt Watch. The Encore presentation package is now $995 for 5 days/4 nights package, and it will bring our week into the DC points program. That is the main reason we are doing it. We pay $185 a year as "club dues" but it covers our II memebership and exchange fees if we decide to exchange the week or MR points fee if we take MR points instead. BTW, our Monarch week gets 110,000 points every year if we choose that option. We get 50,000 points or $300 when we do the presentation. It freezes the points price at the current rate of $13.68 for 12 months here, and caps at the next point increase. There is a surcharge for some locations, and it does not include a rental car. I need to learn about renting points now. Thanks for the help, and information!
Thanks a great Encore deal with enrollment. Once you can rent points there is practically no reason to buy DC points, unless you have a lot of excess cash you want to dump.

sparty

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I first glanced at this thread I was hoping it was details about "an offer to attend a presentation". We have a time scheduled for this Sunday at Lakeshore Reserve.. I think it's identical to what we got last year, 25K MRP or 325 DC points or $175 AMEX GC. I don't think it's a great deal, but they told me they've improved it, only 75 mins instead of 90 mins and on the way out I can do an express exit w/o stopping at the front reception area :) Interesting pitch...

peppymom03

Reaction score
We did a presentation this week and were told 65% did not enroll their points. interesting difference from 8%

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

taffy19

Reaction score
We know at least four non-TUGger couples who bought before 2010 and none of them are enrolled. I have mentioned enrolling to them because three of them own Hawaiian weeks but they are not interested. They use their own resorts or rent them out.

Old friends of ours do not travel much anymore and do not even want to drive to their own resort in Palm Desert that is close but they keep paying the maintenance fees. I have given them the information to contact the Marriott re-sale office but haven't done that either and they certainly wouldn't try to do it themselves as I had given them that information too (TUG Stickies "How to sell your timeshare" and RedWeek). I would love to rent from them but they do not even bother to reserve a week.

I hope that the lost week will go to a late planner rather than sitting vacant or Marriott renting it out. I wonder how that works?