• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Maui Ocean Club.. Is it that bad?

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an II exchange to Maui Ocean Club, 2 bedroom 3 bathroom unit. I know there's no full kitchen or washer and dryer, that's ok. I have never stayed at the resort, been to Maui 3 times and stayed at Westin which I liked (rented from owners & II exchange).
I just checked reviews for marriott maui ocean club and quite shocked by nasty reviews... most of recent reviews said the rooms are dated, stained, stink, etc...
When did it change like that? 3-4 years ago, when i tried to exchange into that resort, it was the same level as Westin Kaanapali. What made it so differrent now?
Should I cancel the exchange and wait for better luck for new towers or Westin?
Is there any refurbished unit at maui ocean club original buildings?
I am very sad as a Marriott owner, I thought Marriott brand name guarantees a certain quality and service level.
Any thoughts or sharing your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
They recently renovated the original towers, and I think you should keep the exchange and will love the property. It's fantastic.

Best,

Greg

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an II exchange to Maui Ocean Club, 2 bedroom 3 bathroom unit. I know there's no full kitchen or washer and dryer, that's ok. I have never stayed at the resort, been to Maui 3 times and stayed at Westin which I liked (rented from owners & II exchange).
I just checked reviews for marriott maui ocean club and quite shocked by nasty reviews... most of recent reviews said the rooms are dated, stained, stink, etc...
When did it change like that? 3-4 years ago, when i tried to exchange into that resort, it was the same level as Westin Kaanapali. What made it so differrent now?
I am very sad as a Marriott owner, I thought Marriott brand name guarantees a certain quality and service level.

We stayed there last summer and loved the resort and location. We toured a unit in the new building and while it was definitely more "upscale" and had a newer feeling, we thought our room in the Molokai building was in very good shape and was super convenient to the pool and other amenities. We were also placed in a 7th floor unit (this was an exchange) and had a fantastic view overlooking the pool and ocean. The unit did feel a bit more dated than some of the other Marriott's that we have stayed in but everything was very clean and functional. We were there in July 2016 and were told that the units would be going under renovation beginning in August 2016 (along with the pool renovation).

We have stayed at the Westin and while I thought the rooms were nicer there, we preferred the overall Marriott location and resort atmosphere. For an exchange and for a 2 bedroom, I would be very happy with this exchange and wouldn't hold out for one of the newer towers as I am not sure how successful that would be.

Last edited:

elleny76

Reaction score
Not sure about the rooms but we were in that location back in April and its BEAUTIFUL! (we stayed at Aulani)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
If you'd like to see what the newly renovated rooms look like, you can check out this post from last September. Note that the mini fridge in the kitchenette area has since been replaced with extra storage.

IMO, most people who leave reviews are doing it because they've had a negative experience. That certainly hasn't ever been the case for me. The rooms look great, the grounds are gorgeous, and the location is second to none. I would keep the exchange.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
While the rooms and facilities at MOC and MM1 are well used and have a very high occupancy rate, I thought the resort was top-notch. If you think MOC is 'stinky dump' then you really should land your private Jet on another island and have the chauffeur drive you to a more suitable private residence.
IMHO

I can imagine that some of the rooms (perhaps at shady ground-level?) might be more inclined to damp smells......but it's a plum of a resort.

Enjoy'!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, the resort is fantastic. I wouldn't mind an exchange myself, especially a 2 bed, 3 bathroom unit. We would feel positively spoiled.

So what view does your unit have? You can look at your history and see the view code.

People are very persnickety. I don't believe many of the reviews I read. I am personally aghast at some of the reviews I have seen of top-notch resorts. But I have a friend who is very much a silver-spoon type. She thought Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort was a dump. So of course this Marriott would probably be a dump too.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We got an exchange for a 2BR 3 bath villa and stayed there last month. I, like you, was hesitant about the "old" part and not sure how I'd feel about the lack of kitchen and laundry. But I was very impressed with the unit. It's been recently redecorated and it was quite nice inside. You get 3 balconies, too. What surprised me the most was there was an actual Master bedroom. I had just assumed, since the villa was comprised of 3 hotel rooms, that the 2 bedrooms would be identical. The kitchen area had everything we ever use in villas with full kitchens. The lack of laundry wasn't really a problem. There are tons of washers and dryers located near the pool and easy to get to no matter which tower you are in.

Anyway, like everyone else says, keep the exchange. The resort is beautiful, the rooms are lovely and comfortable and modern, and you can't beat the location. You won't be sorry.

Candace Shaw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dawn Beach Club, Marriott
Keep the exchange! I stayed in the 'old' section last October and i didn't find it stinky. It wasn't even that dated (not 1980's HI) but only would seem old compared to the reno pics I just saw in the other post.

Too beautiful a location on a resort with so many amenities to offer and so centrally located.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
We stayed at MOC in May/June. Our one bedroom unit was refurbished and was in excellent condition.

That said, avoid unit 9020 like the plague. It is on the top floor of the Molokai Tower, the corner unit away from the ocean. That wasn't the problem; the view was nice (it is coded OV and probably had a spectacular view before the Napili Tower was built).

The problem is that the location of the unit created a wind tunnel; it was not only windy on the lanai but also unbearably noisy inside when the lanai door was open. The inability to use the lanai substantially reduced the experience for us. Part of me wanted to write a blistering review, but it really was the lousy unit rather than MOC being a lousy resort. Call it the luck of the draw.

Last edited:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I was somewhat alarmed when I saw this posting. We're heading to the resort next month. There's no way we can cancel our airline tickets at $1,000 each plus the cost of the II exchange. I am pretty picky, but the reviews I read were not bad. I just hope that we are not put in a bad unit. We are traveling about 15 hours to this destination.

herillc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, for all your info and link to nice pics!
Now i am feeling much better that i will stay at the renovated unit.
I also love the location of MOC, it is vey convenient to shops, golf courses and restaurants.
I will surely post a review after my visit.
If you have any question regarding the resort, please feel free to post here, i will check while i stay there. Thanks again!

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for advising us to avoid unit #9020! We plan to enjoy this vacation.

taffy19

Reaction score
Thanks for advising us to avoid unit #9020! We plan to enjoy this vacation.
Ha ha! This is exactly why it is so hard to recommend something to another person or even write a review about a resort because people are so different in their likes and dislikes.

We also stayed in condo #9020 and were pleasantly surprised with the view and location and wouldn't mind staying there again if we had to add a few nights but would have to rent DC points.

It is true that it can be noisy when the Lanai door is open when the trade winds are very strong as we experienced that too but then we closed the patio door to stop the sheers from flying away but I remember the rattling of the side window and even the frame and was wondering if it could break. This only happened a few times when the trade winds were extremely strong. Most of the time it wasn't a problem and we had the Lanai door open and a little bit at night to be safe.

This is most likely the reason why this resort closed in the Lanais with glass windows in the Maui wing that you can open and close depending on how strong the trade winds are. There was a whole thread about it and even showed a picture too by the resort what it looks like.

I am sure that the OP will have a good time in Maui at this resort because you can't beat the location. :D You are on a beautiful beach with several restaurants to choose from and many water activities too. I can hardly wait to go back!

frankhi

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at MOC many times and always loved it. This Jan. we rented at the Honua Kai next to the Westin. IMO, there is huge difference between the two sides of black rock. The Marriott (Hyatt, Westin Hotel, Whaler Village, Sheraton) side is much nicer and more fun.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
How expensive is it to get a taxi, Uber/Lyft from the airport to the Residence Inn and back? We have a car for our 7 nights at the Maui Ocean Club, but added two nights at Residence Inn. I'm trying to add two days to the rental, but it’s half the rental for 7 days. Is this the norm? Any other suggestions?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ouch. I assume you mean the Wailea RI. That's 16 miles to the airport and (usually) more than 30 mins.
Uber estimator shows $30-$100 each way. I'd guess closer to $75 with pax and luggage.

It's an hour bus ride from Kahului to Wailea ($2) and there would be another fare (uber/taxi) from the Airport to a decent bus stop. Bus runs hourly.

I'm thinking you could drop the luggage and pax at Wailea, drop the car at the airport and bus back. That's about 2-3 hours in decent traffic total. How would you get back? Up to you.
Maybe ride-share van/car/uber etc...

Not an easy journey, that's for sure. I'd try and rebook: look and see if autoslash.com can help you rebook.

cheers.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I was somewhat alarmed when I saw this posting. We're heading to the resort next month. There's no way we can cancel our airline tickets at $1,000 each plus the cost of the II exchange. I am pretty picky, but the reviews I read were not bad. I just hope that we are not put in a bad unit. We are traveling about 15 hours to this destination.

Trust me. You do not need to be 'alarmed' about staying in the MOC or MM1. We should all have such worries.
You'll have a great time.

My #1 suggestion for an awesome treat? Go to Merrimans for happy hour, listen to the music, eat the truffle fries, sip on a unique cocktail and watch the ocean waves. That is worth the cost of the trip. Or, if you're a 'beer budget' kinda person (I am at heart), go to the Maui Brewery during happy hour, eat cheap good food and sip on delicious discounted beverages. Wear your Maui Brew tee shirts on Wed and get $1 off. Nice tee's, trust me. Crazy Shirts has a few. Crazy shirts, BTW, make the PERFECT souvenir; if a bit pricey. They come nicely wrapped, can be stamped with the date/location and come in flavors and colors for all.

Have Fun.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Shuttle rates don't look bad...unless they charge by the suitcase!!!! ugh. :eek:

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Ok, I'll just book 2 additional days with Alamo to make our stay less stressful. I got a good rate for the week over a month ago. The same rental is now is sky high. Thanks again.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Ok, I'll just book 2 additional days with Alamo to make our stay less stressful. I got a good rate for the week over a month ago. The same rental is now is sky high. Thanks again.
again, try autoslash.com it works wonders sometimes.....

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Oh, thanks. I forgot to check.

Update: I just checked Autoslash. Their rates are over $100 more and via Priceline. I don't use Priceline so that I can get my Delta Skymiles. Thanks anyway for the information.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm also staying at MOC (via Marriott points, so it won't be in the new towers) in Feb 2019, but I'm fine with that. If you're referring to the Trip Advisor reviews, I've learned to:

1) Make sure the "sort" preference is by most recent
2) Only really pay attention to people who have 3+ reviews to avoid any new "spammer" type posts (usually prevelant for Mexican resorts for some reason).
3) The longer, more detailed the review, the better. The ones that are like "it sucks, blah blah" and only have 3 sentences, I basically ignore.
4) If there are negative reviews, do they have a "common thread"? And are they backed up with pictures? (If it's regarding how "nasty" the rooms are, etc.)

Based upon that, and I think the fact that the MOC units were renovated by 2014 (?) (I could be wrong on that date), I'd think 2-3 years is fairly recent and the only bad pictures I could find were from prior to then before the renovations.

Enjoy!

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I agree! Thanks for your input. We plan to make the best of this wonderful place.