*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott in Curacao?

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club Resorts' started by Zac495, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Zac495

Zac495 TUG Member

HI All,
    long time off Marriott board - I post mostly on the lounge as I don't own timeshares anymore - but still love you all. I'm battling cancer and intend to reward my remission this summer in Curacao. I know there are 2 hotels - we have a free week. Can anyone tell me things about them? My kids don't like the beach, but we like LOOKING at the ocean - one sounded kind of perfect. We like great pools and awesome restaurants.

THANKS
    Ellen

2. rosepointe

rosepointe TUG Member

Hi Ellen,

Sounds like a great plan to me. Have you checked reviews on Tripadvisor??

Sue

3. Zac495

Zac495 TUG Member

I saw Renaissance seems better - but i always check with my tug friends!

4. elaine

elaine TUG Member

We have stayed at the Marriott. It is one of our favorite places ever! I have sent 2 sets of friends there and they loved it. It is elegant, but very low key.
    But, we all booked it b/c of water/beach--so maybe not as important to you.
    We love to snorkel and there is great (free) shore snorkeling right there, as well as a 5* dive shop. It is not in the city, but close enough---we walked in 20 minutes, or you can take the resort shuttle there and cab back.
    I looked at the other hotel--don't think they had that when we went 5 years ago. It looks fun and appears to be right in the city.
    Elaine

5. nanceetom

nanceetom Guest

We've been to almost every Marriott in the Carribean. Scrub Island will complete the portfolio this February. The Marriott Curacao is still one of our favorites. We usually rent a car and do the main area near the pontoon bridge which is the area the Renaissance is located. We usually go there to a few of the fort restaurants to eat, but during the day, you can't beat the Marriott. The northern beaches are awesome, but you would need to drive.

6. Zac495

Zac495 TUG Member

So how are the two Marriotts different there? Where are the pools better? Oceanview rooms? Thanks for any help!

7. elaine

elaine TUG Member

Marriott has great pools. The resort is in a V shape with pool in the center and ocean at the bottom of the V in an interesting design. Beach is very nice-with great snorkeling right off the coast. There are other wings of buildings off each side. Bldgs are 3 stories high with elevator--but I just took the stairs on the end by the beach, hopped right onto the sand, and placed my stuff at a free thatched umbrella hut/chairs. From room to beach chair was 2 minutes--if that. It is not super fancy, but very nice. Hooks Hut is right next door---lobster dinners on the beach for cheap! There is a nice, smallish spa as well. I think the other hotel is town, which the Marriott is not---but you can walk it (fitness walk takes 25 minutes) or cab it, or take the shuttle (used to be 3X a day). We only went into town 2X during the week--too much snorkeling, diving, spa--and the food at the Marriott was reasonable and quite good. take care. Elaine

8. OutAndAbout

OutAndAbout TUG Member

Correct that the Marriott is near the water and the Renaissance is more corporate/business oriented and in town.

9. Zac495

Zac495 TUG Member

Thank you!

10. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella
    We are looking ahead to the fall of 2014 and considering staying in Curacao. We will be going to Curacao on a cruise in early 2014, but have found land based stays to be completely different.

We plan to use a travel package certificate and will likely go for the cat 6. Is 7 days too much for Curacao or would we be better to go with the 5 night travel package and save the extra points?

Also, we will likely tack this on to a stay in Aruba, any experience with flights between the two islands? It looks like it may be cheapest to fly in and out of Aruba with an inter-island flight between the two?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  11. TravlinDuo

TravlinDuo TUG Member

Hi Dioxide.

We traveled to Curacao in 2007; exchanged into the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort. I would say that the choice of a 5 or 7 day stay would depend on how much activity you want each day and what you would want to see, as well as what time you would arrive and depart the island. While on the island, we 1) went to the ostrich farm and ate at the onsite restaurant to sample some of the ostrich dishes; 2) visited the downtown area where buildings are painted different colors to resemble Amsterdam; 3) went through the aquarium; 4) went to the aloe farm; 5) went on a snorkeling excursion and saw lots of flying fish for the first time. In addition to trying various restaurants, we went to the Marriott Resort for their beach buffet and then stayed for drinks afterwards. In our opinion, the Marriott Resort is the nicest resort on the island and it has a great beach compared to other beaches on the island. Seven days was just right for what we did without feeling rushed.

Sue

12. Zac495

Zac495 TUG Member

So we leave for Curacao in a couple weeks. Any restaurant suggestions? THANKS!!!!!!!

13. Retired to Travel

Retired to Travel TUG Member

Dining

Don't miss Bistro Le Clochard. Also Fishalicious (stupid name, great food) and Wine Cellar. All have convenient parking, or take a taxi.