• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Grande Vista

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hello Fellow TUGGers! Some questions and advice is needed. Currently on EBay there is a 3br/3ba for bid. I am thinking possibly making a bid but wanted some feedback. What really piqued my interest was the fact that was a floatable week during red season which works best for my family because of the school schedule and the fact that I can even go for Christmas week if the Mrs and I decided to escape and leave the kids behind for a week to ourselves. The maintenance fees have me a little hesitant because I really don't want to be paying an exuberant amount rather quickly. Do the maintenance fees go up significantly or visit sporadic?

sb2313

TUG Member
Reaction score
With most any branded timeshare, it is fair to assume a 3-5% per year increase each and every year. Some years can be less, some more of course.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
In 5 years my maintenance has increased about $100. I have the same size unit in the Platinum season.

Good luck.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In 5 years my maintenance has increased about $100. I have the same size unit in the Platinum season.

Good luck.
I am afraid that it has increased much more than that. The 2012 Platinum 3BR Grande Vista MF was $1,191.56, in 2017 it is $1,652.21. That is a $460 increase in five years.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
By way of comparison, maintenance fees have decreased in each of the past 6 years for the Virgin Grand ownerships at Westin St John. So it does not have to be a 3-5% increase each year.

FWIW, Virgin Grand has had active ownership participation in its board of directors, and they keep the rest of us informed. I have not seen such at Grande Vista.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
By way of comparison, maintenance fees have decreased in each of the past 6 years for the Virgin Grand ownerships at Westin St John. So it does not have to be a 3-5% increase each year.

FWIW, Virgin Grand has had active ownership participation in its board of directors, and they keep the rest of us informed. I have not seen such at Grande Vista.
That sounds extraordinarily good news, assuming they are continuing to maintain and improve the standards and quality of the resort.
Presumably inflation, pay rates, utilities... etc have been rising?
It would be very interesting to know which areas they have been able to make these reductions in.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That sounds extraordinarily good news, assuming they are continuing to maintain and improve the standards and quality of the resort.
It would be very interesting to know which areas they have been able to make these reductions in.
I think it may have more to do with Vistana continuing to build out and convert new sections at the Westin St John property. It would seem that there are more owners help to spread out some of the shared costs. Of course, WSJ MFs are high to begin with, so decreases don't make it cheap.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am afraid that it has increased much more than that. The 2012 Platinum 3BR Grande Vista MF was $1,191.56, in 2017 it is $1,652.21. That is a $460 increase in five years.

I apologize and you are correct. My fee thus year was $1,707

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I apologize and you are correct. My fee thus year was $1,707
I mean there is a lot to think about. In any of you guys experience you think there is a comparable property with less maintenance fees that offers a 3bedroom?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Maintenance fees are out of control and have been for about 10 years. Ever since inflation disappeared it has been a big problem. I think that is the biggest issue you have to become comfortable with if you decide to buy.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Grande Chateau is a good 3br choice; and it has 2br plus 1br
Of course, you're in the trading cycle if you don't plan to use Vegas and you do plan to use Florida.
But, Florida is easy to get (maybe not those few hot weeks each year) and Marriott preference helps a lot.

I'm a big fan of Marriotts. Yes, the MF's do go up, but the resale value doesn't seem to be 'plummeting' like some properties do.
you get what you pay for.

If you're really looking for a unit to simply use in Orlando every year and not trade etc, there are certainly cheaper (free) timeshares that have nice units in Orlando that might be cheaper than a platinum MGV/MGR. Of course, getting rid of those 'free' timeshares can be quite tough if you're not careful.

Just a thought.

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Grande Chateau is a good 3br choice; and it has 2br plus 1br
Of course, you're in the trading cycle if you don't plan to use Vegas and you do plan to use Florida.
But, Florida is easy to get (maybe not those few hot weeks each year) and Marriott preference helps a lot.

I'm a big fan of Marriotts. Yes, the MF's do go up, but the resale value doesn't seem to be 'plummeting' like some properties do.
you get what you pay for.

If you're really looking for a unit to simply use in Orlando every year and not trade etc, there are certainly cheaper (free) timeshares that have nice units in Orlando that might be cheaper than a platinum MGV/MGR. Of course, getting rid of those 'free' timeshares can be quite tough if you're not careful.

Just a thought.
I appreciate the thought, info and wisdom. I am really looking for something that I can use in Orlando for years and years but still have the option of trading every once in awhile. Like maybe once every 5 to 7yrs.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Here's a list of the resorts in the Orlando area that have 3+ bedroom units. The top of the list are 'elite' and they decrease in recognition (quality?) from there. The bottom 11 are not ranked or have 'boutique' status or something. I think owning a Marriott might be overkill for your needs; there are good resorts on the list that are free and lower MF's.

It will give you an idea of what is available. If you joint TUG (best $15 you'll ever spend!) you'll have access to this information and a whole lot more. It's a good start for now.\
CAUTION: I'm not recommending, advocating or selling anything on the list below. Some of these resorts do NOT have a good reputation or may be very hard to 'give away' once you own it. Proceed at your own risk! Study hard and don't jump too quickly. Easy to buy/adopt, hard to shed....words to the wise.

Cheers.

Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
CLC Encantada
Lighthouse Key Resort & Spa
Star Island Resort
Star Island Resort and Club
Westgate Town Center
Grand Beach
Grand Beach
Marriott's Imperial Palms Villas
staySky Vacation Club at Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa
Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa
Liki Tiki Village
Liki Tiki Village
Cypress Pointe Resort
Cypress Pointe Resort
Cypress Pointe Resort
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
Tuscana Resort Orlando by Aston
Orlando Breeze Resort Club
The Fountains at ChampionsGate
Villas at Regal Palms
Calypso Cay Vacation Villas
CLC Regal Oaks
Legacy Vacation Club Orlando
Legacy Vacation Club Lake Buena Vista
Floridays Orlando Resort

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Here's a list of the resorts in the Orlando area that have 3+ bedroom units. The top of the list are 'elite' and they decrease in recognition (quality?) from there. The bottom 11 are not ranked or have 'boutique' status or something. I think owning a Marriott might be overkill for your needs; there are good resorts on the list that are free and lower MF's.

It will give you an idea of what is available. If you joint TUG (best $15 you'll ever spend!) you'll have access to this information and a whole lot more. It's a good start for now.\
CAUTION: I'm not recommending, advocating or selling anything on the list below. Some of these resorts do NOT have a good reputation or may be very hard to 'give away' once you own it. Proceed at your own risk! Study hard and don't jump too quickly. Easy to buy/adopt, hard to shed....words to the wise.

Cheers.

Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
CLC Encantada
Star Island Resort
Star Island Resort and Club
Westgate Town Center
Grand Beach
Grand Beach
Marriott's Imperial Palms Villas
staySky Vacation Club at Lake Buena Vista Resort Village & Spa
Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa
Liki Tiki Village
Liki Tiki Village
Cypress Pointe Resort
Cypress Pointe Resort
Cypress Pointe Resort
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
Tuscana Resort Orlando by Aston
Orlando Breeze Resort Club
The Fountains at ChampionsGate
Villas at Regal Palms
Calypso Cay Vacation Villas
CLC Regal Oaks
Legacy Vacation Club Lake Buena Vista
Floridays Orlando Resort
I appreciate the list it will help a lot. I am researching everyday and learning more and more. I didn't see Holiday Inn Orange Lake any thoughts on that resort?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Uh, no.

Those were all Interval Intl. associated resorts. If you go to RCI or independent resorts, you'll find a lot more. Maybe not up to 4-5 star quality.
HGVC resorts are also plentiful in the Orlando area. But, they too are not very cost effective (IMHO) for what you're suggesting.... So many choices.

Try filling out the following and ask questions: http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I think it may have more to do with Vistana continuing to build out and convert new sections at the Westin St John property. It would seem that there are more owners help to spread out some of the shared costs. Of course, WSJ MFs are high to begin with, so decreases don't make it cheap.
Actually, from what I have heard, it's likely to go the other way. Since they are converting hotel units into fewer villas, there will be fewer units...and then per unit costs, a good bit of which (the resort upkeep costs, for example) are shared across all the HOAs, will rise.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know everything that was done, but one was to install solar panels on top of our units. This significantly decreased to cost of electricity to owners. Another was that our HOA (Virgin Grand)...and perhaps others...was able to reclaim units that had not been paying maintenance fees and resell them, thus turning them into paying units.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I mean there is a lot to think about. In any of you guys experience you think there is a comparable property with less maintenance fees that offers a 3bedroom?
We have been MVCI owners since 2009 and have owned several MGV/MGR 3BR units (and still own a couple). We have found Grande Vista to be a great property and enjoy our ownership there (despite not being golfers). We have used it both with and without kids and have found it to be extremely strong to trade through Interval. We have never had trouble getting properties we were interested in going to (both Marriott and Non-Marriott) with frequent 'up-trades' to larger size units being possible. If you are buying to primarily occupy with only an occasional exchange, I agree with other posts that Marriott Lakeshore Reserve (tied as our favorite Marriott resort) or Marriott Grande Vista are top choices. They are not the cheapest to buy or own, but the quality of the property and the amenities of Marriott Vacation Club properties have never let us down. Good luck. (P.S. - I've bought/sold more than one Grande Vista week via eBay. It's a great place to look for a week to purchase (but pay attention to the seller's feedback rating).

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought, info and wisdom. I am really looking for something that I can use in Orlando for years and years but still have the option of trading every once in awhile. Like maybe once every 5 to 7yrs.

Look into WorldMark for their Reunion property. Every unit is a 3 bedroom. I have not been there, but hear the units are upscale with granite counters, etc.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/ru/

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/ru/pdfs/brochure.PDF

17,000 credits per year would cost about $5000-5500 buy-in plus $300 transfer fee plus any closing costs. 2017 maintenance fee is $1238, or about $0.073/credit. Or buy-in at $3000 for 10,000 credits ($790 MF) and rent-in any additional credits you need from other members for 6.5-7.5 cents/credit. Maintenance fee increases are capped at 5% per year, and that is what they have increased the past two years.

WorldMark is amazingly flexible.

Reserve anywhere else within WorldMark for no additional exchange fee, just use your credits and book directly. There are limited WorldMark locations east of the Mississippi. This could work in your favor, though, since you want to go to Orlando every year; there are limited WorldMark owners east of the Mississippi, so it is easy to book into Reunion. It is wide open for next Christmas and this summer, too.

Join Interval International or RCI for the years you want to exchange. In Interval International, use your 3 bedroom trading power to place ongoing searches. If you match a 3 bedroom, cost is 12,000 credits; 10,000 credits for a 2 bedroom; plus the exchange fee.

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
We have been MVCI owners since 2009 and have owned several MGV/MGR 3BR units (and still own a couple). We have found Grande Vista to be a great property and enjoy our ownership there (despite not being golfers). We have used it both with and without kids and have found it to be extremely strong to trade through Interval. We have never had trouble getting properties we were interested in going to (both Marriott and Non-Marriott) with frequent 'up-trades' to larger size units being possible. If you are buying to primarily occupy with only an occasional exchange, I agree with other posts that Marriott Lakeshore Reserve (tied as our favorite Marriott resort) or Marriott Grande Vista are top choices. They are not the cheapest to buy or own, but the quality of the property and the amenities of Marriott Vacation Club properties have never let us down. Good luck. (P.S. - I've bought/sold more than one Grande Vista week via eBay. It's a great place to look for a week to purchase (but pay attention to the seller's feedback rating).
Awesome! Thanks for the response and believe it or not it gave me a lot more confidence in owning one these units.

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Look into WorldMark for their Reunion property. Every unit is a 3 bedroom. I have not been there, but hear the units are upscale with granite counters, etc.

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/ru/

https://www.worldmarktheclub.com/resorts/ru/pdfs/brochure.PDF

17,000 credits per year would cost about $5000-5500 buy-in plus $300 transfer fee plus any closing costs. 2017 maintenance fee is $1238, or about $0.073/credit. Or buy-in at $3000 for 10,000 credits ($790 MF) and rent-in any additional credits you need from other members for 6.5-7.5 cents/credit. Maintenance fee increases are capped at 5% per year, and that is what they have increased the past two years.

WorldMark is amazingly flexible.

Reserve anywhere else within WorldMark for no additional exchange fee, just use your credits and book directly. There are limited WorldMark locations east of the Mississippi. This could work in your favor, though, since you want to go to Orlando every year; there are limited WorldMark owners east of the Mississippi, so it is easy to book into Reunion. It is wide open for next Christmas and this summer, too.

Join Interval International or RCI for the years you want to exchange. In Interval International, use your 3 bedroom trading power to place ongoing searches. If you match a 3 bedroom, cost is 12,000 credits; 10,000 credits for a 2 bedroom; plus the exchange fee.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into Worldmark and do some more research on them as well. I have a pretty good idea of the top 3-4 resorts I want to really dig into and decide from there.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good luck Muzikman, I am sure you will enjoy your purchase where ever you choose. I used the small side of my lock off to trade into the Grand Chateau for New Years Eve week and still was able to go on another trip with my larger side of the unit.

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Good luck Muzikman, I am sure you will enjoy your purchase where ever you choose. I used the small side of my lock off to trade into the Grand Chateau for New Years Eve week and still was able to go on another trip with my larger side of the unit.
Thanks so much TrudyT!!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Hello Fellow TUGGers! Some questions and advice is needed. Currently on EBay there is a 3br/3ba for bid. I am thinking possibly making a bid but wanted some feedback. What really piqued my interest was the fact that was a floatable week during red season which works best for my family because of the school schedule and the fact that I can even go for Christmas week if the Mrs and I decided to escape and leave the kids behind for a week to ourselves. The maintenance fees have me a little hesitant because I really don't want to be paying an exuberant amount rather quickly. Do the maintenance fees go up significantly or visit sporadic?

So, this auction ended last night for approximately $1,700 (plus $1,600 in 2017 MFs due). Will be interesting to see if the winning bidder gets the week or if MVCI scoops it up under ROFR. At $3,300, it would seem a no-brainer that they would take it back when they can resell it as 3,725 destination club points (worth near $30,000 at even MVCI's deepest discount price per point retail).

muzikman429

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
So, this auction ended last night for approximately $1,700 (plus $1,600 in 2017 MFs due). Will be interesting to see if the winning bidder gets the week or if MVCI scoops it up under ROFR. At $3,300, it would seem a no-brainer that they would take it back when they can resell it as 3,725 destination club points (worth near $30,000 at even MVCI's deepest discount price per point retail).
Wow! Thanks for the update. Would be interested in see what Marriott does