• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Florida Club - II Deposit; which provides better trade power

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Posting this in the Marriott Forum as even though my question is exchange related, it's specific to Marriott (and the Florida club).

We own a Grand Vista Plat eoy odd, for this year we locked off, and deposited the Master (1br) in II. We were considering using the studio over the summer, but due to the way schedules are falling into place, we've now decided to deposit.

I have the option of reserving a Grande Vista Week or a BeachPlace Towers week. The MGV week I'm looking at would have TDI of ~ 130, BPT would be lower at ~ 115.

I'm trying to figure out which would have better trade power. I don't think I can just go by the relative TDI, right?

I'm not sure how to think about it, but I see plenty of MGV and other Orlando Marriott summer weeks available for trade, but much more limited BPT inventory. Considering relatively similar weeks (ie. July vs. July and considering similar but not equal TDI), would a BPT deposit have better trade power than MGV?

Thanks,
Frank

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
For online inventory you wouldn't see any difference. I think for an ongoing search the trading power would be similar with a slight preference toward Beach Place but I doubt you would notice the difference. If you were going to rent out the week yourself, the Beach Place studio would be easier to rent than a Grande Vista studio.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would agree with the above. Summer in Orlando is high season where in South Florida it is shoulder season. You really can't compare TDI across regions. I don't think it really matters either way. Studios in general don't trade very well, but with the new upgrade fees, you may be able to do better. But I don't think the actual week or resort you deposit will matter much.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Thanks both, appreciate the insights.

I'm still quite new at using II (have only made 1 trade so far), and trying to learn how to use it most effectively.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to turn in 1/2 a unit with the Florida Club?

We've owned OP for 17 years. I thought you had to trade full unit if you exchanged in Florida Club.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you able to turn in 1/2 a unit with the Florida Club?

We've owned OP for 17 years. I thought you had to trade full unit if you exchanged in Florida Club.
Yes, you can lock off and use the Florida Club. Using one half at your home resort and another half at another FC property. Or both halves at FC properties. You can even do split weeks 3/4 using one part at one property and the other at another.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's been a long time since I reviewed the FC rules.

Have they always been the same?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks. It's been a long time since I reviewed the FC rules.

Have they always been the same?
No changes that I am aware of since day one.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Yes, you can lock off and use the Florida Club. Using one half at your home resort and another half at another FC property. Or both halves at FC properties. You can even do split weeks 3/4 using one part at one property and the other at another.
That's interesting because as far as I know no other resort allow you to lock off and use the 3/4 option. Its either one or the other and either incurs the lockoff fee if you are not enrolled.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's interesting because as far as I know no other resort allow you to lock off and use the 3/4 option. Its either one or the other and either incurs the lockoff fee if you are not enrolled.
That isn't what I meant to imply. You can use either or. You can lock off and use one half at a FC property and the other unit at your home resort or you can use split week and spend the three weekend nights at one property and the four weekday nights at another. Like other resorts, you can't do both.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got it I misunderstood.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Would the split week still have to be deposited with II or can it be done internally with Marriott if it is a resale week bought outside of Marriott?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Would the split week still have to be deposited with II or can it be done internally with Marriott if it is a resale week bought outside of Marriott?
You can't deposit split weeks in to II. To book a split week, you call Marriott do to reserve a split week reservation. It is an option available to all owners, resale and developer.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call II and ask them what will give you the best trading power and then reserve it with Marriott. I will tell you from experience that Jan/Feb BPT studios trade really, really well.

randster2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard about split weeks. I purchased a 3 bedroom Grande Vista week on the resale market. Does my unit qualify for a split week? If so, how does it work? Thanks for your help to understand.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have never heard about split weeks. I purchased a 3 bedroom Grande Vista week on the resale market. Does my unit qualify for a split week? If so, how does it work? Thanks for your help to understand.
Here is a PDF of participating resorts.

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/vc/en-us/pdfs/xm_resortssplitweek.pdf

Using the split week option, you can split your reservation in to two shorter stays. One for three weekend nights and the other for four weekday nights. You can't use both of the splits for two weekend stays. Depending on the resort, it depends on which checkin day is used for each of the splits. You can book them for different times of the year and in the Florida Club, you could use them each at different resorts. SO three days at one Florida Club property followed by four at another.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And as I mentioned you can't lock off and use a split stay- it is an either or so you would need to make sure you can use it for dates in your season at the resorts you want when there is 3 br availability for both parts of the split week.