• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2017] Marriott Encore Packages offered

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I don't want a second week, I only want to purchase points and enroll my week. I was told my 3 br platinum Grande Vista week can be enrolled if I buy a 3,500 point purchase but I don't want to spend that much money on points.

Trudy, I purchased an encore program while at Marriott Maui last month, to return there within the next two years. I normally wouldn't have done it, but it included enrolling my Marriott Vail-Birch week into the points program at no additional cost, so was somewhat of a no-brainer. I'll never turn in the week for points, only worth around 400, but it did get me in the program that allows me to now 'rent' points. My week was a pre-2010 resale, purchased directly from Marriott.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I was at Marriott Maui last month, which got me thinking about points, ownership, etc....yet again.
That, and this outstanding thread.. http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...-it-a-good-choice.251271/page-11#post-1972698

As noted above, I purchased an encore program while at Marriott Maui last month, to return there within the next two years. The Encore offer got us a points account with the free enrollment of my low value week, opening the door to being able to rent points.

If we decided to buy vs rent points in the future, the Hybrid-Bundle definitely provides for the lowest cost/point approach. What I didn't realize initially was that we'd end up with what amounts to two maintenance fees.

Do you pay the traditional maintenance fee, even if you turn in the week for points? Am I missing something? Sales Director said yes, but figured I'd check here.
I've just never seen it mentioned in various purchase threads, so...

Rough example (disregarding bonuses, as focused on downstream maintenance fees)
1500 points is approximately $20K with $750 annual points fee, plus $200 Points(II) membership fee = 950/yr in fees.
Legacy week purchased at an assumed $5K has $750 annual points fee (for conversion option), plus $750 in traditional maintenance. = $1500/yr in fees
TOTAL ANNUAL FEES of appx. $2500, $750 more each year, than if we just bought 3000 points. (granted that extra 1500 points cost buys a lot of maintenance fee years.)

Background:

Early 2000s...Owned a couple of Harbour Club weeks and one Vail-Birch mud week 15; Sold the HC weeks in late 2000s.
Trade two Vail weeks, EOY to Maul OC. (Jan-Feb)
Use to get one week confirmed in mid-year and the adjacent week 60-120 days out.
Now, usually get one week 60-90 days out, but getting the adjacent week has been hit or miss.
Purchased Encore package for Maui, which included waiver of the points enrollment fee for my Vail week, but got us a points account, which will allow us to rent points.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
What I didn't realize initially was that we'd end up with what amounts to two maintenance fees.

Do you pay the traditional maintenance fee, even if you turn in the week for points? Am I missing something? Sales Director said yes, but figured I'd check here.
I've just never seen it mentioned in various purchase threads, so...
There is no double dip of MF's on an enrolled week. You pay the MF's of the underlying week only, regardless if you elect points for it or use the underlying week in the traditional way.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As Fasttr noted, there is no double dip fee. Using your numbers, here's what the fees would be:

Annual Maintenance Fee on 1500 Trust Points (@$0.53 per point) : $795
Annual Destination Club Fee: $185
Annual maintenance fee for a Legacy week that is worth 1500 points: $750 (where has this low of a maintenance fee???)

Total Annual Fees: $1,730

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Annual maintenance fee for a Legacy week that is worth 1500 points: $750 (where has this low of a maintenance fee???)
An EOY week may have fees this low. But you still have to include both years MF for the 1500 points.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
As Fasttr noted, there is no double dip fee. Using your numbers, here's what the fees would be:

Annual Maintenance Fee on 1500 Trust Points (@$0.53 per point) : $795
Annual Destination Club Fee: $185

Total Annual Fees: $1,730

Thanks, Jim. The $750 may have been me what-if'ing numbers while Sales Director talked. My Vail, week 15, is $680/yr, but definitely not worth 1500 points. But definitely been worth it for the Maui trades. :)

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
This was similar to what I was offered last week at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club except you only needed to purchase 1000 points for about $13K. They would then allow me to purchase a resale week which they would convert to DC points and also allow me to enroll my Willow Ridge unit

Can you confirm that they were only going to require you to purchase 1000 points and then still allow you to buy a resale week and enroll it? Typically, if you buy a resale week, they require you to purchase an amount of points at least equal to what that resale week is worth. So if the week was worth 2000 points, you had to buy at least 2000 points to enroll it. What resale week were they pairing with the 1000 point requirement? I guess if they were pitching an Every Other Year week that is worth 2000 points EOY, then in that case they would only require you buy half the amount in points since it is an EOY week. Unless this was a new offer they are doing, it would seem that only an EOY or other low value week could be enrolled with only a 1000 point purchase.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Thanks, Jim. The $750 may have been me what-if'ing numbers while Sales Director talked. My Vail, week 15, is $680/yr, but definitely not worth 1500 points. But definitely been worth it for the Maui trades. :)

According to the maintenance fee spreadsheet at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...guovIlHjggivemuPWYpnkSaXg/edit#gid=1983378178 the maintenance fees at Vail Streamside Birch are $1603 per year (2016 fee, 2017 is not updated yet). How can you be paying only $680/year? All the sheet shows is 2BR units at Vail-Birch. Are there also 1BR or Studio units and that is what you own? Or is yours an Every Other Year maybe? I'm confused.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Birch is one of the oldest resorts Marriott bought. Weeks are fixed and maintenance varies by the week/season, e.g., Week 15, aka 'mud season' is cheaper than prime ski season. Each building, room, season, etc. can vary...though guessing the Evergreen, built by Marriott is more traditional.

Mine is 1BR/1Bath EY, week 15. When it works, it's a killer trade...but getting harder every year. May end up buying week or points and trading this for Marriott Points @ 110K.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Birch is one of the oldest resorts Marriott bought. Weeks are fixed and maintenance varies by the week/season, e.g., Week 15, aka 'mud season' is cheaper than prime ski season. Each building, room, season, etc. can vary...though guessing the Evergreen, built by Marriott is more traditional.

Mine is 1BR/1Bath EY, week 15. When it works, it's a killer trade...but getting harder every year. May end up buying week or points and trading this for Marriott Points @ 110K.

Thanks! That explains it well. I didn't realize Marriott had places with annual maintenance fees that low. Sounds like that may actually be one of the only places where it might make sense to exchange for Rewards Points. 110K points for $680 seems like a very, very good ratio compared to most.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Until I got back into TUG and started researching the points options, I hadn't really considered other than trading as we've always been able to get into Maui. The inside 60-90 day trades and iffy second week match I'm having to wait for now play havoc with airfare, thus my relook at points and/or purchasing on Maui. Something I never thought I'd consider.

Realistically, I expect I'll try and match a trade to our Encore visit for early 2019. At that point and for EOY at my age, getting real friendly with a Chairman Level points renter may be the right solution. ;-)

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you confirm that they were only going to require you to purchase 1000 points and then still allow you to buy a resale week and enroll it? Typically, if you buy a resale week, they require you to purchase an amount of points at least equal to what that resale week is worth. So if the week was worth 2000 points, you had to buy at least 2000 points to enroll it. What resale week were they pairing with the 1000 point requirement? I guess if they were pitching an Every Other Year week that is worth 2000 points EOY, then in that case they would only require you buy half the amount in points since it is an EOY week. Unless this was a new offer they are doing, it would seem that only an EOY or other low value week could be enrolled with only a 1000 point purchase.

The original pitch was to purchase 2000 points but since I wasn't biting and had told the sales lady I wasn't biting, she brought in her manager to try to close me and she offered me the 1000 points offer which I didn't bite on. I said that I had post 2010 weeks that couldn't be added so why enroll only some since I would be paying II fees and VC fees and running two systems. That's when she tossed in the "buy one of our resale weeks and we'll enroll it as part of the points purchase". I didn't bother to ask which resale week or the particulars since it wasn't going to happen on my end and no sense extending the 90 min presentation any longer.

Part of what ticked us off, especially DW, was when the sales lady turned to her and asked if she wanted to purchase on her own because the sales lady wasn't getting anywhere with me. (and I had been polite, told her I had no intention to buy, didn't want to waste her time and let us out early because I was very familiar with the system and only reason I was there was because DW wanted the incentives)

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We've been offered similar packages twice now on our last two presentations. They say that they only offer to owners who own weeks and points. We do own a week we purchased in 2008 and enrolled in DP when first offered. We also purchased DP after that. I think the resale week had to be worth about the same number of DP that we would purchase as part of the package. I believe the price in total was about $8 per point. The first time we were not given a choice of week/location. The second time the sales rep showed us a list resale weeks. We did not purchase but were interested. We have considered buying a resale week but having to deal with two different systems since our week is enrolled and we have DP seems too complicated.
On this last presentation, the sales rep told us that the benefit levels were going to change in the future so was trying to get us to the next level before that happens. Currently we are Select so trying to get us to 7000 points annual which would put us in the executive category before this change. Once the level changes we would be "grandfathered" in even though current categories will be adjusted upward.

Trudyt623

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC-Animal Kingdom, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Trudy, I purchased an encore program while at Marriott Maui last month, to return there within the next two years. I normally wouldn't have done it, but it included enrolling my Marriott Vail-Birch week into the points program at no additional cost, so was somewhat of a no-brainer. I'll never turn in the week for points, only worth around 400, but it did get me in the program that allows me to now 'rent' points. My week was a pre-2010 resale, purchased directly from Marriott.

Hi TXTortise,

Thanks for the info but this is beginning to get too complicated for me to understand (lol). I am going to use the encore trip and see what I am offered when I get there.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Was thinking I had this sorted out in my head, but am I correct in noting that if you buy a Marriott Resale week and do what is necessary to enroll and convert it to points, the MF for that year is greater than if just using it and paying the home resort MF?

For example:
Maui 2BR/OF/EY -
5825 Points Conversion = appx. $3087 annually if converted to points (@ .53/pt)
Weeks MF - $2188

I guess this in the FAQ is what got my attention, just when I thought I had Trust and Exchange sorted out. Note Exchange Mbrs "must also pay".

- DC Trust Members must also pay annual Maintenance Fees on a per-BI basis (which, as in the MVC Weeks system, correlate to an Operating Budget and are subject to annual adjustments.) The 2016 MF's are $125.62 per Beneficial Interest (250 Points @ $0.50248 per point.)

- DC Exchange Members must also pay annual Maintenance Fees for the underlying Week(s) which have been enrolled.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Was thinking I had this sorted out in my head, but am I correct in noting that if you buy a Marriott Resale week and do what is necessary to enroll and convert it to points, the MF for that year is greater than if just using it and paying the home resort MF?

For example:
Maui 2BR/OF/EY -
Weeks MF - $2188

I guess this in the FAQ is what got my attention, just when I thought I had Trust and Exchange sorted out. Note Exchange Mbrs "must also pay".

- DC Trust Members must also pay annual Maintenance Fees on a per-BI basis (which, as in the MVC Weeks system, correlate to an Operating Budget and are subject to annual adjustments.) The 2016 MF's are $125.62 per Beneficial Interest (250 Points @ $0.50248 per point.)

- DC Exchange Members must also pay annual Maintenance Fees for the underlying Week(s) which have been enrolled.
This isn't anything different than you already pay on your weeks. I think the term "also" is what is causing the issue? That also is really what is on top of the following that you didn't quote.

- All Members must pay the annual Club Dues fee which is based on the number of DC Points that a Trust Member owns, or, for which an Exchange Member is eligible through all Enrolled Weeks, or, a combination of both. Effective with the 2016 invoices the fees are:
  • $185 Owners and Select Members
  • $225 Executive and Presidential Members
  • $250 Chairman's Club Members

So, the only additional fees are the annual club dues on top of your weeks MFs.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

For example:
Maui 2BR/OF/EY -
Weeks MF - $2188

There are two types of Destination Club Points - Trust Points and Enrolled or Elected Points - for simplicity, I'll call that later group Exchange Points.

Trust Points are points that are backed by weeks owned by the MVC Trust. That is what Marriott has been selling since the inception of the points system. You buy them from Marriott at an upfront cost of between $11-$13 per point (or less if you buy resale Trust points) and you pay an annual maintenance fee of about $0.53 per point (for 2017). So, if you buy 3000 Trust points, you will pay about $1,590 a year in maintenance fees on those points. In this case, you own only Points, and own no traditional timeshare weeks. You own a beneficial interest in the MVC Trust, not weeks.

Exchange Points are points that are generated by converting an enrolled Marriott Vacation Club week to Destination Club Points. Using your example of a Maui Ocean Club 2BR OF EY week, that week converts to 6450 points (the number you quoted in your post - 5825 - was for a 2BR OV EY). When trying to book reservations with DC Points, those points function virtually identical to Trust points. You have 6450 points with which to book reservations in the DC Points system. But, you DO NOT pay the $0.53 per point Trust maintenance fee on these points. The only maintenance fee you will ever pay on the week is the regular $2188 weeks maintenance fee (so, these points wind up only costing you $0.34 per point in maintenance fees). Also note that when you own an enrolled week, you make the decision to convert to points each year. You can still use it as a traditional week if you want to. For example, you could elect to convert your 2017 week to points, but then elect to retain your 2018 week and use that to book a week in Maui. In 2019, you might opt to retain your week and deposit it to Interval International for trade.

So, lets say you own an enrolled Maui 2BR OF EY week, plus you buy an additional 3000 Trust Points. Here is what you would pay annually:

Annual maintenance fee for the Maui week (worth 6450 points): $2188
Annual maintenance fee on 3000 Trust points: $1590
Annual Club Dues (Your total points of 9450 makes you Executive Level): $225

Your total annual costs are: $4003

But please note, the only resale weeks purchased after June 2010 that can be enrolled are those purchased from Marriott Resales. But even to enroll those weeks, you have to buy a bundle of Trust points equal to or greater than the point value of that resale week. So for that 2BR Maui OF week, that would mean a purchase of 6500 Trust points from Marriott (Trust points have to be purchased in 250 point increments). So at $0.53 per point, those Trust points would cost you $3445 annually. I think I have read that Marriott may allow high point value weeks like Maui to be enrolled by purchasing less than a complete match (In other words, there may be a cap on the required matching point buy that would mean you don't have to buy the full 6500 Trust points. I do not know what that cap is, if it exists.) But assuming you did need to purchase the full match, then this is what the numbers would look like:

Annual maintenance fee for the Maui week (worth 6450 points): $2188
Annual maintenance fee on 6500 Trust points: $3445
Annual Club Dues (Your total points of 12950 makes you Presidential Level): $225

Your total annual costs are: $5858

Last edited:

jwr1988

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased "Destination Points" outside the Marriott system? It is possible to do so on this site, but I understand Marriott has administrative fees that apply if they are used in their system.
Any thoughts on this?
Thx

Lsalomon

Reaction score
We took the $1195 Package but it also included enrolling our 3 weeks in the DC for free -- 2 weeks were bought from Marriott and 1 bought resale pre 2010.
Is it possible to attach your property list? Obviously minus your personal data..mine is lost. But it was that package.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to attach your property list? Obviously minus your personal data..mine is lost. But it was that package.

Any weeks purchased prior to 2010 can still be enrolled (and I believe for little or no charge).

With that said, I believe you can call and they will provide you with the documentation that needs to be signed to enroll your weeks. Save yourself the $1,195.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This message is from 4 years ago, what are you trying to do?