• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott CEO says SPG members are 'Rabid"

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Marriott has repeatedly devalued their reward points, SPG...not so much. We also get 2 for 1 when using our SPG card. Why should we not prefer SPG? I suspect Marriott will attempt the make the the programs more similar. Let's hope that moves them in the SPG direction, rather than in the direction of Marriott Rewards.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
Marriott rewards have been devalued so many times we dropped the credit card ages ago. We had a great run with SPG Amex because their point requirements are so much less to redeem. We are letting it go as more lucrative cards have come along.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, which card(s) are you using now that gets you the most value? I know off topic, but always interested in these kinds of things.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always had a hard time getting value out of MR points, and a very easy time getting value out of Starpoints. That all changed with the merger. Transferring 1 Starpoint to 3 MR points, I've found so many great MR redemptions (frustrating from Starpoints).

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Monastero
5imfsm, we got in the Chase Sapphire Reserve mega bonus last fall, we both opened accounts and together we had an immediate bonanza of 200,000 points plus we each get a $300 calendar year credit toward travel, enhanced travel insurance, access to airport lounges, three points for every travel dollar spent otherwise two points per dollar. Complimentary global access plus other benefits. It is extremely easy to book travel on the Chase web site or transfer points to airline and hotel partners. They have a new program with Hyatt.
We always have an airline card as well for status and recently got a great deal on a new Delta card.
I hear the new Citibank card is very good.
We are dropping SPG Amex soon as the Chase reserve card is better.

We never purchase points, therefore I don't get the DC. We happily accept points, miles and benefits associated with credit cards, paying them in full every month. We've done this for twenty five years.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We love the Chase Sapphire Reserve, but the signup bonus is only 50K points now.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott rewards have been devalued so many times we dropped the credit card ages ago. We had a great run with SPG Amex because their point requirements are so much less to redeem. We are letting it go as more lucrative cards have come along.

They have devalued the MR point but the 3 to 1 conversion makes for an easy way to accumulate MR points so it's easy, for us at least, to rack up some major MR points to use even though they are not what they used to be.

Also unless I'm mistaken SPG doesn't have anything like the travel packages that offer so much value, so for us the goal is to use the SPG Amex as much as possible to convert to MR using the 3 to 1 conversion and then order a travel package.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
CSR gives 3 points per dollar on travel and dining, otherwise one point per dollar. Cheers.
All points are worth 50 percent more when booking travel. The combination of CSR dollars and SW companion pass is great combo. Btw, I booked a flight on southwest with Chase using points and had to cancell. The money became a Southwest travel credit. Example 300 dollars ultimate reward dollars books 450 dollars on SW. The 450 dollars became a travel credit on SW.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
They have devalued the MR point but the 3 to 1 conversion makes for an easy way to accumulate MR points so it's easy, for us at least, to rack up some major MR points to use even though they are not what they used to be.

Also unless I'm mistaken SPG doesn't have anything like the travel packages that offer so much value, so for us the goal is to use the SPG Amex as much as possible to convert to MR using the 3 to 1 conversion and then order a travel package.

You mean the SPG Nights and Flights packages? This offers 5-night hotel stays and a bunch of frequent flyer miles on your airline of choice. It's been around for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG does have Nights & Flights, which was always a good deal, but with the 3 to 1 conversion, Marriott travel packages are a better deal.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it still applies, but when I was using Starwood a lot the biggest benefit to me was that if a room was available for cash you could book it for points. No blackouts or inventory restrictions. That was by far the best benefit for me.

Jeffrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you looking for a great deal....

Until June 30th, SPG members (new members >14 days) can purchase minimum 5,000 / max 30,000 SPG points at a 35% savings.

30,000 SPG points cost only $682,50 which can then be transferred to your MR account at a 1:3 ratio.

That gives you 90,000 MR points for $682,50 instead of the normal 50,000 MR points for $625 !!

i've done this for both my wife and myself. Valid only through this Friday and a cheap way to get your next MR travel package.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/spg/landing_page/#/en-US

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'm a Lifetime Platinum in both programs and see benefits to both.

For Marriott and MR, I like the much more extensive network of hotels and resorts (now, of course, further enhanced by the merger). I also like the "free" first 15 nights per year I receive as a holder of the Marriott Rewards black card. My family and I have taken some amazing vacations over the years on those points and loved every minute of it.

For Starwood and SPG, the locations are fewer but the hotels tend to be more luxurious. Starwood hotels--particularly Westin and Le Meridien, which have been my favorite Starwood brands over the years--are usually a step up from Marriotts. And they have one other huge advantage--the Heavenly Bed. Truly a wonder, and the best bed of any hotel chain I've stayed in.

Last edited:

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood points get you so much more bang for your buck. It's not even close.
That certainly WAS the case (in my experience), but being able to transfer 1:3 to Marriott Rewards gives some incredible Marriott deals.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Looks like the deadline for purchasing starpoints at the 35% discount has been extended to July 14th, 2017.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brussels April 8th to 15th you can stay with 60,000 SPG points or 210,000 Marriott points.

Both look like good deals to me. With a 1:3 conversion ratio, that's 70,000 Starpoints for the Marriott. Are you accounting for the Fifth Night Free?

I would do a travel award instead of just the hotel. 300,000 MR points gives you 7 nights category 6 plus 120,000 miles. 300,000 MR is 100,000 Starpoints.

BigMac

Reaction score
It's not even close : Brussels April 8th to 15th you can stay with 60,000 SPG points or 210,000 Marriott points.

This is kind of a weird example. I hope your not actually making either of these reservations using points because that would be a really bad idea. The points guy currently values Marriott points at 0.9cents/pt. and SPG at 2.7cents/pt. Which means they both have the same value with the 3:1 ratio. So your Brussels Starwood which is presumably the Aloft Shuman will only cost you 648 euros ($732) for the week however if you spent 60000 points that should have been worth $1,620.So your getting only 45% of the true value of the points The Marriott isn't much better. The Grande Place Marriott costs 1011euros ($1142) but 210000 Marriott points ought to be worth $1890. Slightly better at 60% value.

The Shuman is an SPG cat 4 versus the Grande Place Marriott cat 7. I don't think these are equivalent hotels as evidenced by the difference in room rates. The Grande Place has an executive lounge which as a Marriott Gold member I would get access to and the Aloft does not, not that it would make a difference as Starwood Gold does not get executive lounge access anyway.

use the URL below If you want to check the points value.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/march-2017-monthly-valuations/

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott has repeatedly devalued their reward points, SPG...not so much. We also get 2 for 1 when using our SPG card. Why should we not prefer SPG? I suspect Marriott will attempt the make the the programs more similar. Let's hope that moves them in the SPG direction, rather than in the direction of Marriott Rewards.
I am with you...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious, which card(s) are you using now that gets you the most value? I know off topic, but always interested in these kinds of things.
Try the Chase sapphire reserve.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG does have Nights & Flights, which was always a good deal, but with the 3 to 1 conversion, Marriott travel packages are a better deal.
My calcs agree with this.