*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Marriott BUYBACKS AND TAKEBACKS [2012 / Ongoing]

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by mcow2011, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jont

jont TUG Member

So let's see, buy unit for $3400, convert to 3200 trust points, sell those points for $11.45 or approx $36500 minus expenses. Nice deal for marriot.:eek:

2. jdunn1

jdunn1 TUG Member

Interesting about Fairway Villas. I would have never guessed that resort as one Marriott would build out any time soon, if ever. Then again, that is a resort I do not follow, but I've heard great things about it. Someone from my work who lives in Bucks County, PA has friends who spend Thanksgiving there every year.

I thought Aruba was one of the resort areas Marriott is currently selling via resales but I guess not.

Marriott should sell reslae weeks for every resort. I do not understand why that is not the case right now, honestly.

3. LUVourMarriotts

LUVourMarriotts Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

As far as the build-out, I should say that my source is the front desk at the resort. I had asked if there were any plans to build the next building and she said that they just had a meeting a few weeks prior to say that another building will be built. They were told the purpose is to sell points.

As far as the resort, since I have owned there (10 years) I have been there 5 times. Each time during the peak of the summer. Each time, the entire resort is full. I have even tried to get a week during spring/fall for an extra week via II or even a night through Marriott. I have never found inventory. I know others have, but I have not. So it is a pretty popular location. It is such an easy drive from NY and even from Boston. That's a majority of the visitors that we meet.

For resale, I believe the entire resort must be sold out before they start resale. Ocean Club in Aruba has resale, but Surf Club does not. I do not know if they are 100% sold out, but I would guess not. Probably really close though.

4. Carol C

Carol C TUG Lifetime Member

Is Marriott saying what these timeshare weeks are really worth? I'd hate to ask them about my mud season Vail studio's worth to them!!! :rolleyes:

5. jont

jont TUG Member

Not only NY, Jersey and Boston but also Philadelphia, eastern Pennsylvania, Delaware and Baltimore. It's a very busy resort spring thru fall. I'm trying to get one nignt in Oct. for a golf trip and no luck so far.

6. ginnylbs

ginnylbs TUG Member

I phoned them and got immediate response

We own a Sports Week "Marriott Cypress Harbor - 2 bedroom" and their offer was $2200 less $500 fee....which will net us $ 1700. If they don'y close by end of Dec., they said they would re-imburse us for the 2013 maint. fees.

This was done yeserday.

7. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

Less than zero

8. jont

jont TUG Member

I disagree. Marriott, thru the magic of the DC, is now able to turn these weeks into points. Abara Cadabra presto chango poof!

Maybe we can start building a database of recent marriott offers for buybacks.

9. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

You can disagree all you want but try asking Marriott what they would offer for a Vail mud week studio. Just because it has a point value on a chart doesn't mean it is worth much in real dollars. There is no way they take this unit for more than zero after netting the $500 fee.

10. jont

jont TUG Member

Everything has value my friend. It just depends upon your point of view.
    A plot of swampland in central Florida is worthless to me, but to a Florida developer it may be a gold mine. Just sayin;)

11. dualrated2

dualrated2 TUG Member

EOY buybacks?

Has anyone heard of offers by Marriott to buy back any every other year weeks?

12. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella
    Some of the low value weeks actually were offered 0 (ZERO) points for enrollment. I think some of the low value ski resorts were like this.

13. fillde

fillde TUG Member

Good day! We are pleased to inform you Marriott Vacation Club is currently accepting listings for Marriott’s Newport Coast. Our records indicate that you previously contacted our office and registered an interest in selling your ownership.

The current list price for a Newport Coast Platinum 2 bedroom every-other-year unit is $8,450. After commission (40% of sale price), approximate net proceeds would be $5,070 *. If you are still interested in selling your ownership, please notify our office via email or telephone.

14. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella
    This is different than a buyback. Sometimes in order to get a listing, you have to have been on a resale waiting list for a while, perhaps years. A buyback would happen pretty fast (150 days?), but waiting on a resale waiting list for an eventual listing could take considerably longer.

15. travelhound

travelhound TUG Member

Giving them back my Monarch week

It is a pathetic buyback offer, but it goes in the trust. In points, my 2 BR Hilton head week during PGA tournament worth less than a 1BR Vegas in the worst season. From the reps... Apples and oranges - why are you worried about the new sytstem? You would obviously never use it ;)

Good riddance as I don't want the long term liability.

16. rsackett

rsackett TUG Member

If you don't mind saying, what was the offer?

Ray

17. travelhound

travelhound TUG Member

2450 less 750 fees for 1700

18. vacationlover2

vacationlover2 TUG Member

I called about my major club sequel platinum. They offered net 2,100.

19. SpikeMauler

SpikeMauler TUG Member

For a goof I asked about my Frenchman's Cove and Aruba Ocean Club weeks. Marriott offered $3200 net (after fees) for my Frenchman's Cove 2 bedroom Platinum week and $3900 net (after fees) for my Aruba Ocean Club 2 bedroom Oceanfront Gold week.

20. jont

jont TUG Member

Nice job on that Lakeshore auction Ron.
    Looks like you got a good price. :)

21. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

They never did respond to my email but i called and got an offer over the phone. Less than what I paid but probably more than it would bring on ebay. Now I need to think it over.

22. JanT

JanT TUG Member

Out of curiousity I contacted Marriott about our 1BR Platinum Grand Chateau week. They offered $2400 minus $500 in administrative fees for a net of approximately $1900. I think we're going to take the deal because we bought it resale and actually will make money. I want to start trimming down the number of weeks we own and in looking at some resale history on ebay, etc., a one bedroom just isn't that interesting to people. So, this is a good deal for us.

23. Purefct

Purefct TUG Member

What number did you call Marriott at and how much did they offer you? Any fees? What season and unit size/specs did you sell?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
  24. gottspd

gottspd Guest

The resale dept. I don't have the number on hand but it was easy to find. The season was special I believe. The one that includes spring break. I believe all ch units are 2 bedroom. Yes there are fees. I don't want to discuss any numbers but the price and fees were reasonable.

25. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    Purefct, I moved your post to this current ongoing thread because it's possible that Marriott will not match the offer that was made months ago for a similar Week.

Post #2 in this thread includes a link to Marriott Vacation Club Resales; the (new?) tab on that page, Sell Weeks, brings up this info (bolding mine):
    Good luck!