• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott BUYBACKS AND TAKEBACKS [2012 / Ongoing]

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The Marriott Resales price for each of my weeks has not changed in a couple of years.

Per the questions earlier in this thread about whether Marriott may be increasing some of the prices for their resale weeks, that is definitely the case for some units. In July 2014 when we bought our bundle, the price of a Silver Garden view 2BR Barony Beach Club was $3300. That has been the case ever since, whenever I happened to just browse online and see one listed on the Marriott Resales site. But now, they have a Barony Silver Garden view listed, and the current price is $3700 - a $400 (12%) increase. That is a recent development because as recently as late 2016, they were still $3300.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
So, a Marriott resale MOC 2BR/OF EOY listed at $17,700 today, would net the seller $10,600, after 40% commission with buyer paying closing cost?

A similar week listed by a broker at $12,000, less 20% in commissions and HI taxes, would net $9600, plus buyer paying closing cost. (or @ $14K, net $11,200)

Interesting way to bracket what the resale net price to seller might be and theoretically suggests what comparable Redweek pricing should be if someone wanted to sell quickly, e.g., $10-11K?

But could see why a seller would use a broker, just to reduce the hassle factor of selling and closing and reach a wider market.

Granted, this example is of relatively high-priced weeks.
Two years ago I sold an annual 2BR OF in the new towers at Maui Ocean Club through Marriott Resales for $47,000, netting me $28,200. One of the top rated brokers on TUG told me they could list it at about $23,000, which with a 20% commission would net me about $18,400 (perhaps reduced further by closing costs?), so my net was over 50% greater by going with Marriott Resales.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per the questions earlier in this thread about whether Marriott may be increasing some of the prices for their resale weeks, that is definitely the case for some units. In July 2014 when we bought our bundle, the price of a Silver Garden view 2BR Barony Beach Club was $3300. That has been the case ever since, whenever I happened to just browse online and see one listed on the Marriott Resales site. But now, they have a Barony Silver Garden view listed, and the current price is $3700 - a $400 (12%) increase. That is a recent development because as recently as late 2016, they were still $3300.

That is right. The agent stated that some wend up and other down to adjust to market conditions/demand.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
When timeshare prices fell through the roof a friend bought 3 Manor Club platinum weeks (2 MMC and 1 MSE) on eBay for varying prices as low as $250 on resale when Marriott wasn't exercising their ROFR. Because it was a constant fight to get his adult kids to go with him, he has recently sold two of them (he's keeping one for personal use) through Marriott and got way more than he paid for them. Not sure how much or whether Marriott just bought them or resold them.

Brian

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When timeshare prices fell through the roof a friend bought 3 Manor Club platinum weeks (2 MMC and 1 MSE) on eBay for varying prices as low as $250 on resale when Marriott wasn't exercising their ROFR. Because it was a constant fight to get his adult kids to go with him, he has recently sold two of them (he's keeping one for personal use) through Marriott and got way more than he paid for them. Not sure how much or whether Marriott just bought them or resold them.

Brian

Marriott does not buy and resell. Unless it was a repurchase they listed the unit for sale for another person to buy. The sale would be directly from your friend to the new owner.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
Not anymore. The prices for all Golds in Palms Desert dropped as well as every resort on HHI. The prices for Gold and Plat HHI are starting to approach actual 3rd party market value.

I was just noticing this yesterday! Platinum HHI week listing prices have definitely been reduced on MCVI resales site compared to that of a few weeks ago. Also, there seems to be less inventory, as some seasons/views are no longer listed for resale. Any clue why?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just noticing this yesterday! Platinum HHI week listing prices have definitely been reduced on MCVI resales site compared to that of a few weeks ago. Also, there seems to be less inventory, as some seasons/views are no longer listed for resale. Any clue why?

They generally take them off when they no longer have inventory to list but they likely took them down once the price changed. They need new listing agreements from owners with the new lower prices. They will still work through the closings they have but they need new listing agreements.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Can anyone provide me with the link to the MVCI resale site?
Thanks