• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marbella or Playa Andaluza- how do I chose?

Marriott Marbella or Playa Andaluza?

• Marbella

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Playa

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello again. I posted here several months ago and recieved amazing advice for our trip to Paris- I don't think our trip would have gone half as well without the tips I recieved here.

For my next trip I have my sites on a Marriott Vacation Club in Spain for next April. I can get both Marbella and Playa with my DC points. How do I chose?

Details- first trip to Spain, just high school Spanish, middle aged couple in good health and college student(s). We enjoy the beach, but not full days/everyday. We enjoy sight seeing, but I don't have a big bucket list of must do's for this location like I had for Paris.

Is there much difference between these 2 resorts or for a first trip/ general exploration are they about equal?

Thanks to anyone who can share their experience.

Fun4Life

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Marbella 5 years ago the week ending with Christmas day. We had a 3BR overlooking the common area and a partial view of the Mediterranean. It was a huge unit. Each bedroom had its own bathroom and large closets, full kitchen and balcony. Our daughter was finishing a 6 month student exchange program in Granada so we flew over to meet her and her host family. It was a quiet time of year and cooler temps with no rain. They didn't have a lot of activities but that was ok with us since we were on the go most of the time. There was only one option for dinner on Christmas eve at their restaurant. We just ended up going to a local Chinese restaurant :) We had a flight to Barcelona Christmas morning so we wanted to keep it early and simple.

The beach was very different than what I expected compared to our beaches in the US. It was more rocky than sandy. The rocks were small but I wouldn't walk on the beach without shoes. We're not big beach people anyway so we didn't have any complaints. There is so much to see in this area of Spain that we were gone most of the time. I recommend renting a car so you can drive to the nearby towns in Southern Spain.

We would definitely stay here again. We loved this family vacation. Cheers to you and your trip to Spain.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that one (at least) of the British members has written a lengthy comparison. I see that you are guests. If you are TUG members, you'll have access to the reviews.

Jim

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that one (at least) of the British members has written a lengthy comparison. I see that you are guests. If you are TUG members, you'll have access to the reviews.

Jim

Thanks. I'm not a member (may have to change that!) and I did search before I posted and didn't find much with my guest status.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not a member (may have to change that!) and I did search before I posted and didn't find much with my guest status.
It's the best bargain in timesharing. $15 a year, and by writing reviews on resorts you visit, your membership can be darn near free. Besides, it's how TUG supports itself. AND you get the prestigious 'MEMBER' badge under your username. What a deal! :)

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I own a unit in Marbella Beach Resort, going next week. I love it there and lots of restaurants close by that we like, also close to Marbella itself and we always go into Puerto Banus too. But from what I have heard both are similar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a unit in Marbella Beach Resort, going next week. I love it there and lots of restaurants close by that we like, also close to Marbella itself and we always go into Puerto Banus too. But from what I have heard both are similar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are restaurants walking distance or do we need a car?
Is there lots to do in Marbella?
Close to a grocery?
Thanks!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We stayed at the Marbella resort last November and enjoyed it (trade via II). It was our first visit to that region. The grounds were nicely kept and the pool was very good size. We didn't go in the pool, but I did use the hot tub a few times. The staff was very friendly as well. The 2BR unit was in good condition. The location worked well for us as we made a few day trips, which included (1) Granada, (2) Sevilla and Córdoba, (3) Ronda and Gibraltar. We also made shorter trips to Marbella and Malaga. So, we didn't spend that much time at the resort. Based on our experience, this resort was better located than Andaluza was.

While we didn't stay at the resort in Andaluza, we did stop by on outrage way back from Gibraltar. The guard told us that the only way we could enter through the gate was to do a formal tour. However, it was close to dark and we told him we were staying at the Marbella resort and just wanted to get some desert at their restaurant and walk around the property. He asked for and received permission to let us in. Very nice of him and his supervisor. The grounds were very nice, perhaps more so than Marbella, and the buildings seemed very nice from the outside. This is a newer resort. The desert was very good and they had a singer performing, which was very entertaining. Unfortunately, we didn't have an opportunity to see a unit, but I suspect they are very nice as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at either of the resorts, but depending on where we wanted to site see, that would impact our decision. For us, Marbella was a better choice.

One string to note, watch the speed limits, especially between the airport in Malaga and either of these resorts. They use cameras, which we didn't think were well marked. We received a citation for speeding a while after returning home. The car rental company provided our information to them. We had to pay a ticket charge plus an admin fee to the car rental company. Lesson learned.

Either way, I will have a great time.

Best regards.

Mike

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at both resorts. Love them equally but I think it depends on what you want out of your holiday as to where is the best place to stay. So here are my thoughts.

Marbella Beach Resort - is older and larger. IMO they made a huge mistake in only having 2 outdoor pools compared to the 3 at Playa. But they have 2 indoor pools, one adults only (bit of a joke at times because teens sneak in but they're removed if you ask one of the staff). The other indoor pool is the family pool.
Beach directly in front of resort not great but the plus is you can go for lovely long walks in both directions. Last Sept (still a busy time) we walked up to Cabapino, a lovely small marina. Lots of restaurants. Mind you, you have to go through or round the back of the nudist beach (they've got a nature reserve with boardwalk which is very nice).

A few years ago in early November I enjoyed a girls trip, we had great weather and our beach walk turned into a 2.5 hour leisurely walk into Marbella. As you head towards Marbella the beach improves. We took a taxi back.

I don't really like Marbella when the pool areas are heaving; last year they started putting sun loungers onto the grassy area by the main pool which spoils it. There's a tiled area away from the pool where everyone is crammed in. It wouldn't put me off going though.

Marbella is closer to AGP (airport) - about 30 mins. Elviria is a lovely place to wander around as well. Nice surrounding restaurants plus some good beach ones.

Playa Andaluza - because of the downturn in the economy in 2008 the final two planned buildings were never built which has been to our advantage. I never feel the pressure to get to the pool early for that prime spot which for me makes it more relaxing. Main pool tends to be adults, then there's the sports pool. Have a designated kids outdoor pool which is lovely too.

The villas are smaller than Marbella but very nice. Mind you last year they did a full refurbish and made them more contemporary and plain, the couches and chairs aren't comfortable and I'm disappointed when I compare the furnishings to some of the American resorts.
They've a nice mini golf, paddle tennis, outdoor area where they do some exercise classes, outside grills (unlike Marbella) and a climbing wall.

The beach at Playa is rocky, we never bother with it much although the loungers are free unlike Marbella. The surrounding area isn't as nice but over the years has improved, there's now a new Aldi supermarket you can walk to. The back streets are actually really nice and there are restaurants you can walk to. The resort is only 10 mins from Puerto Banus which is a marina known for wealth and people watching. However, if you go there you may hear lots of young Essex accents touting for the clubs which I've not been to!

Playa is also better located for Gibraltar if you want to go there. It's a great place to visit for the history and monkeys, it has British shops but is not really at all like Britain, it's improving as they're spending lots of money renovating old properties etc.

Hope that helps. Have a great time when you go.

Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is one of the locations better for driving a car (in terms of traffic, ease of parking, etc.)
Would one be more convenient for driving to Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba, Ronda

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Is one of the locations better for driving a car (in terms of traffic, ease of parking, etc.)
Would one be more convenient for driving to Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba, Ronda

Based on our experience last fall, I would say Marbella is a better location. We used the major freeways to the cities you mentioned, other than to Ronda. Traffic on the freeways was not an issue. The resort also had plenty of parking.

Mike

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on our experience last fall, I would say Marbella is a better location. We used the major freeways to the cities you mentioned, other than to Ronda. Traffic on the freeways was not an issue. The resort also had plenty of parking.

Mike

Thanks Mike

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Playa, but our next visit is to Marbella.
We enjoy both and there really is not that much difference in convenience of location, as a base for travelling around beautiful, inland Andalucia
As others have said:
- Marbella is older, larger, has more to do on site and close by
- Playa is a little more modern and "intimate" in feel
You can't really make a mistake in choosing either though and it is very much down to personal taste which is better.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Playa, but our next visit is to Marbella.
We enjoy both and there really is not that much difference in convenience of location, as a base for travelling around beautiful, inland Andalucia
As others have said:
- Marbella is older, larger, has more to do on site and close by
- Playa is a little more modern and "intimate" in feel
You can't really make a mistake in choosing either though and it is very much down to personal taste which is better.

Thank you Barry.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at both resorts. Love them equally but I think it depends on what you want out of your holiday as to where is the best place to stay. So here are my thoughts.

Marbella Beach Resort - is older and larger. IMO they made a huge mistake in only having 2 outdoor pools compared to the 3 at Playa. But they have 2 indoor pools, one adults only (bit of a joke at times because teens sneak in but they're removed if you ask one of the staff). The other indoor pool is the family pool.
Beach directly in front of resort not great but the plus is you can go for lovely long walks in both directions. Last Sept (still a busy time) we walked up to Cabapino, a lovely small marina. Lots of restaurants. Mind you, you have to go through or round the back of the nudist beach (they've got a nature reserve with boardwalk which is very nice).

A few years ago in early November I enjoyed a girls trip, we had great weather and our beach walk turned into a 2.5 hour leisurely walk into Marbella. As you head towards Marbella the beach improves. We took a taxi back.

I don't really like Marbella when the pool areas are heaving; last year they started putting sun loungers onto the grassy area by the main pool which spoils it. There's a tiled area away from the pool where everyone is crammed in. It wouldn't put me off going though.

Marbella is closer to AGP (airport) - about 30 mins. Elviria is a lovely place to wander around as well. Nice surrounding restaurants plus some good beach ones.

Playa Andaluza - because of the downturn in the economy in 2008 the final two planned buildings were never built which has been to our advantage. I never feel the pressure to get to the pool early for that prime spot which for me makes it more relaxing. Main pool tends to be adults, then there's the sports pool. Have a designated kids outdoor pool which is lovely too.

The villas are smaller than Marbella but very nice. Mind you last year they did a full refurbish and made them more contemporary and plain, the couches and chairs aren't comfortable and I'm disappointed when I compare the furnishings to some of the American resorts.
They've a nice mini golf, paddle tennis, outdoor area where they do some exercise classes, outside grills (unlike Marbella) and a climbing wall.

The beach at Playa is rocky, we never bother with it much although the loungers are free unlike Marbella. The surrounding area isn't as nice but over the years has improved, there's now a new Aldi supermarket you can walk to. The back streets are actually really nice and there are restaurants you can walk to. The resort is only 10 mins from Puerto Banus which is a marina known for wealth and people watching. However, if you go there you may hear lots of young Essex accents touting for the clubs which I've not been to!

Playa is also better located for Gibraltar if you want to go there. It's a great place to visit for the history and monkeys, it has British shops but is not really at all like Britain, it's improving as they're spending lots of money renovating old properties etc.

Hope that helps. Have a great time when you go.

Thank you taking the time to share this!
I am leaning towards Marbella, but I'm disappointed to hear that there are no grills and you must pay for beach lounges. We are really not pool people and do love to beach walk. To be clear, the nude beach is not on property, just on the walk to Cabapino ( that would be a new line for Marriott - nude VC)? Is there a grocery walking walking distance?

skyequeen

Reaction score
We spent 2 weeks in Marbella in late May or early June some years ago, and we did a presentation in Playa. We preferred the ambiance of Marbella. It is closer to the Malaga airport than Playa. It is next to an upscale resort also on the beach that has extensive gardens they let Marriott guests use and where young adult parties are thrown at night - unless all that has changed. Playa is in a more commercial area and when we were there had an empty factory building next door. It has more amenities for young children though if I remember correctly. Though the Med beaches are not as nice as American ones, the one at Marbella is decent, though most people hang around the pool when not out and about using the beach more for walking, at least when not high summer season. There is a locked gate to the beach similar to Ocean Pointe. Grenada, Rhonda, Gibraltar, Tangier, lots of hill towns and beach cities are reasonable distances. Marriott's Marbella is in an upscale suburb of Marbella on the beach and it is a nice area to walk and walk to restaurants on the beach. On the other side of the highway, across a bridge, there are restaurants, bars (must do tapas) and a grocery. The area is big with British ex-pats and tourists. But the best grocery is on the right hand side of the highway when heading toward Marbella City. Very large with interesting food choices like a ham store with numerous kinds- very big in Spanish culture. We really need to go back!

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you taking the time to share this!
I am leaning towards Marbella, but I'm disappointed to hear that there are no grills and you must pay for beach lounges. We are really not pool people and do love to beach walk. To be clear, the nude beach is not on property, just on the walk to Cabapino ( that would be a new line for Marriott - nude VC)? Is there a grocery walking walking distance?

Don't worry, Playa Nudista as it's known is not anywhere near the resort, you hit it just before you get to Cabapino. Yes there is a grocery store round couple of blocks over from back of resort which I've walked to before but I don't know its name.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Sorry only getting back to you now, yes you can walk to the restaurants, although the bridge is quite busy so I would not be inclined to do it with my children!