• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to stay in OBX

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking through RCI and I have a few choices. I'd prefer a 4 BDRM but those are few and far between so I may have to go with 2 2BDRM.

Beachwoods does have a 4 bedroom but they charge $25 plus tax per day and $46 for Wifi. Reviews are all over the place. There is Barrier Island, which at least has free Wifi, but we would be in separate units which isn't a bad thing. We are traveling with my husband's parents (75yo) and we are bringing 3 teens and a 9 year old. It might not be a bad thing to have separate units.

Advice?

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to give a fully positive or fully negative answer on Beachwoods because it has been in transition for almost 3 years now (although it is getting closer to being a finished product). For one to understand why reviews of Beachwoods are all over the map, one really has to understand the history of this place. Originally this was Barrier Island Station - Kitty Hawk that had become rundown with a high delinquency rate, then it was purchased by Gold Key who started a multi-million dollar renovation, then Gold Key was purchased by DRI who took over the renovation mid-process and is now responsible for completing it. I also think visitor satisfaction will depend on what time you want to travel there (spring, summer, fall, etc) and what your family likes to do.

I'll give you my Pros and Cons. Other owners may agree or disagree.

We briefly owned a 4BR unit at Beachwoods. Loved the unit layout and the space. The 4th bedroom upstairs was great for kids. If going in the summer, the outdoor pool is easily one of the larger and better ones in OBX. The indoor water park is a great feature for kids, although depending on how old your teens are they may not find it as fun as a 9 year old. The resort is pretty expansive with a beautiful pond (stocked with fish for catch n release), lodge, outdoor seating areas, walking trails, etc. Volleyball and basketball courts on site as well. Shopping and dining locations are close and convenient to Beachwoods.

It is not beachfront, although you can take a semi-private road out to separate parking for Beachwoods guests and walk across the road to the beach. It isn't a great beach (or wasn't when we were there last), but we also arrived shortly after a major storm that caused a lot of beach erosion. I think most of the beachfront in OBX is so heavily impacted by storms and erosion it can frequently feel cramped and smaller depending on when one visits OBX...contrasted for example to Atlantic Beach farther south where the beachfront feels huge compared to the beachfront in OBX.

In general I think Beachwoods has the potential to be a Marriott level quality resort in OBX, and the largest and most unique OBX resort of all, although how good it can be will largely depend on whether DRI can deliver on the full potential. On the positive side, DRI said they will finally be addressing the almost non-functioning WiFi infrastructure at Beachwoods in 2017 as one of their major initiatives. DRI also said they were finally going to get the large, newly constructed outdoor grille area up and running after being 12-18 months behind schedule based on Gold Key's original timeline.

I personally don't have a problem in principle with DRI charging a daily amenity fee to non-owners. The problem I have with their fee is that it seems DRI is trying to have it both ways. They want to charge the fee, but can't provide WiFi (at least so far until they complete the WiFi upgrade) and didn't have the resort fully staffed or operational, so early visitors in 2016 paying the fee would find that the indoor water park, gym, etc was not open long enough. Also, DRI still doesn't provide visitors with daily housekeeping for that fee (like Marriott does) but at least the units at Beachwoods...especially the 4BR units have a Washer/Dryer inside the unit so it isn't as big a deal (as long as you don't mind washing your own towels or bedding).

In general I think Beachwoods will still be finalizing it's 3 year transition in 2017, with planned projects and upgrades still be worked on. It's still very nice right now, but it has the potential to be exceptional. If you have to be able to see the ocean or walk a short distance to the beach from the door of your unit, this may not be the place for you. Although, I am not a big fan of most of the other OBX timeshares because many are a little too "rustic" for our tastes. If we want to be on or near the beach in OBX we rent a house. If we wanted to stay at a resort we would choose Beachwoods.

*** The terrible WiFi pre-dates DRI's ownership. DRI inherited that problem from Gold Key. I still don't understand how or why Gold Key implemented a multi-million dollar renovation at Beachwoods that excluded upgrading and addressing WiFi. But a common flaw in the Gold Key management of their properties seemed to be that they did not prioritize WiFi infrastructure at any of their properties. The former Gold Key properties in Virginia Beach have some of the worst WiFi signals anywhere on the VB boardwalk. Fortunately DRI appears to be addressing the problem in VB as well at some of those properties.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is difficult to give a fully positive or fully negative answer on Beachwoods because it has been in transition for almost 3 years now (although it is getting closer to being a finished product). For one to understand why reviews of Beachwoods are all over the map, one really has to understand the history of this place. Originally this was Barrier Island Station - Kitty Hawk that had become rundown with a high delinquency rate, then it was purchased by Gold Key who started a multi-million dollar renovation, then Gold Key was purchased by DRI who took over the renovation mid-process and is now responsible for completing it. I also think visitor satisfaction will depend on what time you want to travel there (spring, summer, fall, etc) and what your family likes to do.

I'll give you my Pros and Cons. Other owners may agree or disagree.

We briefly owned a 4BR unit at Beachwoods. Loved the unit layout and the space. The 4th bedroom upstairs was great for kids. If going in the summer, the outdoor pool is easily one of the larger and better ones in OBX. The indoor water park is a great feature for kids, although depending on how old your teens are they may not find it as fun as a 9 year old. The resort is pretty expansive with a beautiful pond (stocked with fish for catch n release), lodge, outdoor seating areas, walking trails, etc. Volleyball and basketball courts on site as well. Shopping and dining locations are close and convenient to Beachwoods.

It is not beachfront, although you can take a semi-private road out to separate parking for Beachwoods guests and walk across the road to the beach. It isn't a great beach (or wasn't when we were there last), but we also arrived shortly after a major storm that caused a lot of beach erosion. I think most of the beachfront in OBX is so heavily impacted by storms and erosion it can frequently feel cramped and smaller depending on when one visits OBX...contrasted for example to Atlantic Beach farther south where the beachfront feels huge compared to the beachfront in OBX.

In general I think Beachwoods has the potential to be a Marriott level quality resort in OBX, and the largest and most unique OBX resort of all, although how good it can be will largely depend on whether DRI can deliver on the full potential. On the positive side, DRI said they will finally be addressing the almost non-functioning WiFi infrastructure at Beachwoods in 2017 as one of their major initiatives. DRI also said they were finally going to get the large, newly constructed outdoor grille area up and running after being 12-18 months behind schedule based on Gold Key's original timeline.

I personally don't have a problem in principle with DRI charging a daily amenity fee to non-owners. The problem I have with their fee is that it seems DRI is trying to have it both ways. They want to charge the fee, but can't provide WiFi (at least so far until they complete the WiFi upgrade) and didn't have the resort fully staffed or operational, so early visitors in 2016 paying the fee would find that the indoor water park, gym, etc was not open long enough. Also, DRI still doesn't provide visitors with daily housekeeping for that fee (like Marriott does) but at least the units at Beachwoods...especially the 4BR units have a Washer/Dryer inside the unit so it isn't as big a deal (as long as you don't mind washing your own towels or bedding).

In general I think Beachwoods will still be finalizing it's 3 year transition in 2017, with planned projects and upgrades still be worked on. It's still very nice right now, but it has the potential to be exceptional. If you have to be able to see the ocean or walk a short distance to the beach from the door of your unit, this may not be the place for you. Although, I am not a big fan of most of the other OBX timeshares because many are a little too "rustic" for our tastes. If we want to be on or near the beach in OBX we rent a house. If we wanted to stay at a resort we would choose Beachwoods.

*** The terrible WiFi pre-dates DRI's ownership. DRI inherited that problem from Gold Key. I still don't understand how or why Gold Key implemented a multi-million dollar renovation at Beachwoods that excluded upgrading and addressing WiFi. But a common flaw in the Gold Key management of their properties seemed to be that they did not prioritize WiFi infrastructure at any of their properties. The former Gold Key properties in Virginia Beach have some of the worst WiFi signals anywhere on the VB boardwalk. Fortunately DRI appears to be addressing the problem in VB as well at some of those properties.

Thank you!!!

We are coming from staying a huge beach house in Corolla. We would do all sorts of cleaning and maintenance and stay for free. The option is off the table so it feels good to not have to work and clean the whole week.

The 4bdrm we are considering during the last week of April is $609. Figure in $193 in fees and probably Wifi, I guess it still works for a 4 bedroom that sleeps 10.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!

We are coming from staying a huge beach house in Corolla. We would do all sorts of cleaning and maintenance and stay for free. The option is off the table so it feels good to not have to work and clean the whole week.

The 4bdrm we are considering during the last week of April is $609. Figure in $193 in fees and probably Wifi, I guess it still works for a 4 bedroom that sleeps 10.
I'm not suggesting this is a reason to choose Beachwoods, but your total fees will still be less than the annual MF if you owned the week.

If you have never been to Beachwoods, but you like going to OBX, it might not be a bad idea to stay there. The resort is very unique and the 4 BR layout is very nice (in our opinion). But really how much you like it or not is only something you would know from staying there and experiencing it firsthand.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP may I also suggest you look at renting an ocean home for OBX. There are some out rentals that have 4 - 6 bedrooms, two(2) huge family rooms, 5 full baths, cleaning services are included.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP, Please check this web site: HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!!!

I think you would be happy with the 4BR at Beachwoods. Plus, you would have the extensive onsite amenities to utilize during the "iffy" temperatures in April. This resort has been geared towards being a Four-Seasons resort. We stayed as a couple in a 4BR last March and found the layout and size to be similar to a house. There would only be two units in the building. The 4BR units are on the second (top) floor, with a 3BR unit below (same layout minus the loft bedroom).

As stated, the lack of resort WIFI is a detriment to this resort. It is available in the Lodge and Welcome Center; however, the units get WIFI through a third party service as you quoted. I look forward to this amenity being added at the resort. The $25/daily amenity fee is currently outrageous, to me, simply because of what it doesn't provide as far as amenities. Functioning WIFI in the units should not be a separate charge over and above the daily fees. I don't have a problem with exchangers and renters paying the daily fee either, but it should include more than what it does. As an owner, maintenance fees are high, there is currently a special assessment, and also there is the weekly WIFI fee if you wish to have this service in your unit (even as an owner).

As stated, due to erosion, there are better beaches than the public beach across from the Beachwoods parking. When I visit the resort and head to the beach, I can find other beaches with parking that are wider and more desirable. Once I'm in my car driving, I don't mind driving a bit further for a better beach.

Yes, the reviews are all over the place. I hope my next visit will see continued progress and that I experience a higher level of satisfaction from check-in through to check-out. This resort, as stated, has been transitioning through three different groups. It's a great resort that blows away the much more "rustic" resorts on the Outer Banks. That's not to say that there still isn't work to be completed......but it is getting there.

I look forward to a TUG review when you return. I hope if you go for it that you have a great experience.

As far as Barrier Island Station Duck, understand that some of these units have lots of steps to the units (between inside and outside the unit, some have as many as 50 steps). There are no elevators at the resort. The exteriors have recently been renovated. However, there's still much work to be done on the interiors. Most units haven't been renovated in years. I have been an owner since 1984. The interiors are from that era. I still love going to this resort, but I know what to expect.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
OP, as far as $46 for Wifi: If you have a smartphone, see if you can enable the HotSpot on your phone during the time you're there. Your family connects through your cellphone, and it becomes the Wifi connection you'll need. When it's not needed, you can turn it off. A very easy fix, for a lot less money that the resort will charge. Just watch your data usage. :thumbup:

Dave

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP, as far as $46 for Wifi: If you have a smartphone, see if you can enable the HotSpot on your phone during the time you're there. Your family connects through your cellphone, and it becomes the Wifi connection you'll need. When it's not needed, you can turn it off. A very easy fix, for a lot less money that the resort will charge. Just watch your data usage. :thumbup:

Dave

I thought about doing that be we have my inlaws on our phone plan. So we have 7 phones on 15GB per month. By the time I add in iPads x 6, I might as well just pay for the silly old Wifi.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I thought about doing that be we have my inlaws on our phone plan. So we have 7 phones on 15GB per month. By the time I add in iPads x 6, I might as well just pay for the silly old Wifi.

If it's that many people, make sure the resort's bandwidth can handle it. We stayed in the Outer Banks last Summer, and paid extra for Wifi for two of us. Reception was so poor, we ended up using the Hotspot anyway. Just be prepared that it may not be what they say it is.

Dave

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they don't have the resort WIFI up and running, this is the third-party service's FAQs.

http://www.skyenetwireless.com/faqs.html
I forget, did DRI ever provide a schedule or ETA for when the WiFi project was going to started and completed in 2017?

Also, did they provide a ETA for when the outdoor grille was going to be 100% complete and fully operational?

When they get the Wifi upgrade completed, I want to go down and stay for a long weekend at least to test it out.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the best unit to exchange into before May 15 and after Sept 15? Looking for a two bedroom unit with a full size kitchen and two full size king/queen beds for four (4) senior adults. First floor or second floor with not to many steps to climb.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the best unit to exchange into before May 15 and after Sept 15? Looking for a two bedroom unit with a full size kitchen and two full size king/queen beds for four (4) senior adults. First floor or second floor with not to many steps to climb.

Financially it made no sense to use my points. I did the extra vacation option. Right now there is a 2 bedroom 4-2-4-9 for $279. That is about as far out as the discounts go. There are a few other 2 bedrooms a bit later in the month, but they aren't marked down yet.