• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to buy EOY MOC - prices

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So with only 10 1BR OF units 5th floor or above, do you as a current owner know how MOC handles room assignments between owners? Given that I would think most people would request a high floor, how does MOC determine for any given week, which owners get the high floor and who gets stuck with the low floors?

I believe MOC uses time-stamp of when the reservation was made.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I believe MOC uses time-stamp of when the reservation was made.

This is what I have been told, as well.

Would someone who owns only one week at MOC be prioritized behind multi-week owners, or would EOY owners be prioritized behind EY owners? Or is the time stamp the only variable?

This is a valuable discussion because I had assumed OF was a no-brainer versus an OV, because of the minimal price differential at Marriott Resales, and because the Marriott Resales OF prices were reasonably competitive with third-party brokers. But...if the supply of higher floor EOY 1BR OF units is so limited, then OV might be a more predictable choice. In that case, Marriott Resales is not nearly as attractive an option as a third-party broker since for OV units, Marriott's price is way higher. For OV, it might be smarter to buy from a third-party broker and then hope Marriott offers the external resale enrollment promotion again (and hope they would enroll an EOY for half the EY amount).

Last edited:

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I have always been told - by nobody from Marriott, mind you - that the time stamp is always the first factor in determining priority, and that it didn't matter if you were a single week owner or a multi-week owner. This is, of course, assuming that two people are making the reservation at the same time.

I swear I read an old thread here in the past that said weeks owners did have priority over points owners, who in turn had priority over exchanges.

That said, I think the scenario you're looking at is if a multi-week owner makes a reservation at the 12-month mark, is his request given priority over a single week owner making a reservation at the very same time, correct? Too bad Marriott doesn't publish this, unless they do and just make it impossible to find.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Would someone who owns only one week at MOC be prioritized behind multi-week owners, or would EOY owners be prioritized behind EY owners? Or is the time stamp the only variable?

This is a valuable discussion because I had assumed OF was a no-brainer versus an OV, because of the minimal price differential at Marriott Resales, and because the Marriott Resales OF prices were reasonably competitive with third-party brokers. But...if the supply of higher floor EOY 1BR OF units is so limited, then OV might be a more predictable choice. In that case, Marriott Resales is not nearly as attractive an option as a third-party broker since for OV units, Marriott's price is way higher. For OV, it might be smarter to buy from a third-party broker and then hope Marriott offers the external resale enrollment promotion again (and hope they would enroll an EOY for half the EY amount).

Do keep in mind that multi week owners can make reservations at 13 months. If they do, their time stamp will be before many single week owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think the scenario you're looking at is if a multi-week owner makes a reservation at the 12-month mark, is his request given priority over a single week owner making a reservation at the very same time, correct?

Do keep in mind that multi week owners can make reservations at 13 months. If they do, their time stamp will be before many single week owners.

NTP66, yes that is the scenario I'm talking about.

dioxide45, yes, that's one of my concerns. I've heard MOC has a lot of multi-week owners, so the concern I now have after reading this thread is that with only 11 high floor 1BR OF units, those multi-week owners will gobble them up most years and a lowly single week MOC owner would be easily shut out. If we bought an MOC week, we would be multi-week owners within Marriott, but we would never book the Barony week consecutively or concurrently with any MOC week we might buy in the future, so from MOC's perspective, we would be a single-week owner.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NTP66, yes that is the scenario I'm talking about.

dioxide45, yes, that's one of my concerns. I've heard MOC has a lot of multi-week owners, so the concern I now have after reading this thread is that with only 11 high floor 1BR OF units, those multi-week owners will gobble them up most years and a lowly single week MOC owner would be easily shut out. If we bought an MOC week, we would be multi-week owners within Marriott, but we would never book the Barony week consecutively or concurrently with any MOC week we might buy in the future, so from MOC's perspective, we would be a single-week owner.

Since I was interested myself, I called MOC directly and was told that room preference is solely based on the timestamp of the reservation, nothing else. So, multi-week owners, as well as DC members who are Premiere or above, who book 13-months out obviously have the advantage here.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Since I was interested myself, I called MOC directly and was told that room preference is solely based on the timestamp of the reservation, nothing else. So, multi-week owners, as well as DC members who are Premiere or above, who book 13-months out obviously have the advantage here.

I have a feeling MOC is not alone in this room assignment policy. I made a failed attempt at reviving FractionalTraveler's 2013 thread "Homeless in Paradise" about a month ago, and although the revival attempt gained no traction, my rationale for the attempt was that over the past couple of years, I have gotten great DC point based room assignments, and to me at least, had the feeling the DC ressie's were no longer slotted below weeks owners, etc in the pecking order. I tend to book as early as I can, so a time stamp only approach would make sense as to why I have been happy with my room assignments....and although I am headed back to MOC next year....all of my ressies over the past couple of years have been at other resorts.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

That raises another question...if someone owned a 1BR OF unit, would the units available for actual assignment include just the 18 dedicated 1BR units, or could they also assign a 1BR OF owner into the 1BR portion of a 2BR OF where the owner had locked off their unit into a 1BR and a studio and deposited the 1BR to II? If so, that may somewhat increase the available supply of 1BR OF units on higher floors for owners if they opted to put exchangers in the 1BR dedicated or 1BR portion of lock offs that are on the lower floors and put owners in the higher floors. If so, anyone know how prevalent locking off/depositing is at MOC?

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
That raises another question...if someone owned a 1BR OF unit, would the units available for actual assignment include just the 18 dedicated 1BR units, or could they also assign a 1BR OF owner into the 1BR portion of a 2BR OF where the owner had locked off their unit into a 1BR and a studio and deposited the 1BR to II? If so, that may somewhat increase the available supply of 1BR OF units on higher floors for owners if they opted to put exchangers in the 1BR dedicated or 1BR portion of lock offs that are on the lower floors and put owners in the higher floors. If so, anyone know how prevalent locking off/depositing is at MOC?

Our 10/1/16 exchange to MOC was to a 5th floor OF one bedroom lockoff in Molokai. The corner unit view was spectacular, and was not booked a year in advance. We exchanged a one bedroom Mountainside, and actually received an email confirming that we would be OF Molokai in response, when I called after receiving the preference email, which really offered no space to request.

Because the map showed most 1 bedroom OF units in Molokai, I was surprised to realize it actually was a two bedroom locked off. Due to a mix up, our first night we were in a one bedroom OF in Lanai, which was also a 2 bedroom locked off. So we know of at least two units that were originally two bedrooms assigned as one bedroom and studio that week. We have been pretty lucky with villa assignment at MOC in the past, but with the wording about exchangers starting with island view, I am always hesitant to get my hopes up. I have always felt (so far) that MOC and Waiohai really try to give what is assigned or requested when possible.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Our 10/1/16 exchange to MOC was to a 5th floor OF one bedroom lockoff in Molokai. The corner unit view was spectacular, and was not booked a year in advance. We exchanged a one bedroom Mountainside, and actually received an email confirming that we would be OF Molokai in response, when I called after receiving the preference email, which really offered no space to request.

Because the map showed most 1 bedroom OF units in Molokai, I was surprised to realize it actually was a two bedroom locked off. Due to a mix up, our first night we were in a one bedroom OF in Lanai, which was also a 2 bedroom locked off. So we know of at least two units that were originally two bedrooms assigned as one bedroom and studio that week. We have been pretty lucky with villa assignment at MOC in the past, but with the wording about exchangers starting with island view, I am always hesitant to get my hopes up. I have always felt (so far) that MOC and Waiohai really try to give what is assigned or requested when possible.

It doesn't surprise me that an exchanger could be placed into a lock-off unit, since that is what was obviously deposited into II. But since as an exchanger, they kept you in the exchanged unit, that would seem to indicate that they do not automatically shift exchangers into lesser view units to leave more of the best views for owners. But then again, your trip was in October, which is low season. In peak season in late January/February when demand from owners is probably greater, I wonder if it is handled differently then.

Since we're trying to evaluate possibly buying an EOY MOC 1BR unit next year, my question is more related to whether OWNERS of dedicated 1BR OF units could be assigned to a 1BR OF side of a lock-off that had been deposited into II. That would, in theory, increase the potential number of higher floor 1BR OF units available to owners, making it more likely as an owner to get a higher-floor OF assignment (if they would assign the exchanger to a lower floor dedicated unit and give the 1BR owner the higher floor lock-off). But if what happened to you in October holds true even in peak season, it sounds like those deposited 1BR OF lock-offs would stay in the pool available to exchangers and would not be available for 1BR OF owner assignment. That also aligns with what I was told when I called MOC a week or two ago and asked the question. I didn't get a sense that the person I talked to was all that knowledgeable, but she said that dedicated 1BR OF owners could only be assigned into other dedicated 1BR OF units - they could not be assigned into a 1BR OF lock-off, even if one was available when they made room assignments.

Our core concern is that with only 18 1BR OF units and with 7 of those being 4th floor or lower, getting a high floor might be problematic, since we would probably be in line behind multi-week owners that could reserve at 13 months. All those factors are making me start to lean more toward 1BR OV instead of 1BR OF due to the much larger volume of 1BR OV units, even though we really would prefer OF, I think.

Additionally, I found out from Marriott Resales that their price for EOY 1BR OF is not about $7300 as I guessed in post #40 above, but actually it's over $9000 versus only $7000 for OV. Even though the differential between EOY 2BR OV and EOY 2BR OF is only $600 ($17,100 vs. $17,700), there is a much bigger differential for the 1BR categories. They said they don't get many 1BR OF listings (probably because of the fact their are only 18 units total in that category). So my assumption is they price them $2000+ higher because the supply is so limited. Another reason to lean more toward OV...

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Additionally, I found out from Marriott Resales that their price for EOY 1BR OF is not about $7300 as I guessed in post #40 above, but actually it's over $9000 versus only $7000 for OV. Even though the differential between EOY 2BR OV and EOY 2BR OF is only $600 ($17,100 vs. $17,700), there is a much bigger differential for the 1BR categories. They said they don't get many 1BR OF listings (probably because of the fact their are only 18 units total in that category). So my assumption is they price them $2000+ higher because the supply is so limited. Another reason to lean more toward OV...

Hi Jim - will you only buy from Marriott or is a resale ok? I saw a 1 bedroom OF Even Years on Redweek for $5,800,and another one that was Odd Years for $5,900. Much cheaper than $9k+. I hear what you are saying about getting the right view and the limited number of units, and then comparing that to the cost. However, if one of these resales (or something like it elsewhere) works out, you can get it less than an OV from Marriott and if on occasion you don't get your higher floor, at least you have OF and you saved a lot of money. The add on Redweek for the Even years unit said they would pay closing and transfer too. Its that time of year to find a deal as maintenance fees are due and I have heard from a couple of brokers that Marriott isn't buying many weeks right now through ROFR, just points. I just got a 2 bedroom mountain/garden for $3,500 that just passed ROFR so you never know. Good luck!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hi Jim - will you only buy from Marriott or is a resale ok? I saw a 1 bedroom OF Even Years on Redweek for $5,800,and another one that was Odd Years for $5,900. Much cheaper than $9k+. I hear what you are saying about getting the right view and the limited number of units, and then comparing that to the cost. However, if one of these resales (or something like it elsewhere) works out, you can get it less than an OV from Marriott and if on occasion you don't get your higher floor, at least you have OF and you saved a lot of money. The add on Redweek for the Even years unit said they would pay closing and transfer too. Its that time of year to find a deal as maintenance fees are due and I have heard from a couple of brokers that Marriott isn't buying many weeks right now through ROFR, just points. I just got a 2 bedroom mountain/garden for $3,500 that just passed ROFR so you never know. Good luck!

I've seen those Redweek listings as well. We don't want to buy right now because we want our first use year to be 2019 (looking for EOY Odd). So we just need to get the transaction closed sometime in 2017, so that when the Jan/Feb 2019 booking window opens in Jan/Feb 2018, we are able to book.

Our first choice is to buy from Marriott Resales in the hopes that we can structure a hybrid bundle that gives us the ability to enroll the week. Being able to enroll would offer several benefits for us - 1) the matching points we would need to buy plus the point value of the EOY week would be just enough to get us to Executive status, opening up the ability to book 1+ night stays with our points in the 13-month window; 2) With the Maui week enrolled, we would have the option to elect for Destination Points instead of using our 1BR week in any given year. By having the ability to elect points, we get more usage options. In most years, it will likely just be my wife and me, so we would just use our owned week. But if, for example, we wanted to stay in the Lahaina/Napili villas one year, we could elect points and then add in a few of our other points and book a 1BR in the Villas that year. Similarly, if one or both of our kids decided to go with us one year, we could elect points and then book a 2BR. Finally, if we wind up buying a 1BR OV, and one year we decided to try OF, we could elect for points and upgrade our view. If, for those years when we opt to elect for points, we traveled in January, the points required to book are basically the same as the election value of the week, so there is no skim.

So for those reasons, our first choice is to try to structure a hybrid bundle with Marriott so we can enroll the MOC week, thus gaining many more usage options. On our Hilton Head trip in April 2017, we will likely do a presentation and see what they offer. If we ultimately decide the bundle price is too steep (or if the hybrid bundles are discontinued as rumored in This Thread), then we'll go to an external broker and get an OF or OV for a little better price than what we can get from Marriott...but for right now, that's Plan B.

Last edited:

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Totally makes sense! That is the nice thing about points, you get a lot of options, and with status you get more options. Whenever I see posts that lay out different options with points I always think that it sounds like a lot of fun. I love to go on vacation, but for me, planning it is part of the enjoyment. Maybe someday I will buy some points to play with. Good luck finding what you need when the time is right.

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since I posted this , I have been keeping an eye out for the right thing and a few months ago, I purchased an EOY Marriott Ocean view from Ebay for $8,700 including closing costs. Six weeks after purchase, I was getting the run around and still had not heard whether Marriott waived ROFR. So I ended up calling Marriott directly and found out my contract had never been submitted:annoyed: I requested my money back and decided to pay more, forget Ebay and do it through a broker. Just found out through Syed that our EOY oceanfront offer of 12k was approved and will be submitted for ROFR. I will keep you posted but am optimistic:)

Hi Optimist - I was curious to find out if you passed ROFR yet or not? I think it has been at least 15 days. if you can, let us know - I may be buying the same thing as you so curious as to Marriott's appetite on these right now. TIA!

optimist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Optimist - I was curious to find out if you passed ROFR yet or not? I think it has been at least 15 days. if you can, let us know - I may be buying the same thing as you so curious as to Marriott's appetite on these right now. TIA!

Hi
I did post here that I passed ROFR but my post was removed:crash:
I thought it was right to follow up on this thread just to update everyone how it turned out but I guess because I also posted it on the Marriott ROFR thread, it wass considered "duplicate'.
Anyway, I passed at 12k for EOY oceanfront. Thank you for asking and see you in Maui!

5infam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi
I did post here that I passed ROFR but my post was removed:crash:
I thought it was right to follow up on this thread just to update everyone how it turned out but I guess because I also posted it on the Marriott ROFR thread, it wass considered "duplicate'.
Anyway, I passed at 12k for EOY oceanfront. Thank you for asking and see you in Maui!

Awesome - thanks for sharing. I may have actually seen your post there, and just didn't put two and two together. I understand why the posts may get moved there, but it's great to see them in context of the original post. If you get a chance, maybe post your ROFR passing on ROFR.net, it will only take a minute and it will help everyone else on recent data.

Congratulations and see you in Maui!!:)

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Great thread, as I'm considering the same with the focus on EOY OF...though the above has me reconsidering OV, due to availability. 2BR lock-off is most appealing with the rental option to recoup fees.

Are any of the original tower units either fixed unit or fixed week, i.e., is is possible to buy in and guarantee a room above 5th floor via the purchase deed? Our target period has been to hit whale season EOY, so generally Jan through mid-March.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Great thread, as I'm considering the same with the focus on EOY OF...though the above has me reconsidering OV, due to availability. 2BR lock-off is most appealing with the rental option to recoup fees.

Are any of the original tower units either fixed unit or fixed week, i.e., is is possible to buy in and guarantee a room above 5th floor via the purchase deed? Our target period has been to hit whale season EOY, so generally Jan through mid-March.

If you are specifically looking for a 2BR, then if you look at the chart in post #34, you'll see there are actually more 2BR OF (48) than 2BR OV (33). The category that is a bit tight on numbers is 1BR OF (18) compared to 1BR OV (92).

Advantage Vacations in Hawaii frequently has 2BR OF EOY listings and there are a number of brokers that list on Redweek that have them as well.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can consider sending another $8k maybe less you can get an annual. I purchased recently an annual floating OF in the new towers for $19.1k including sale price and closing fees plus $200 in bank fees so good deals are out there for 2BDRM annual units.

I was doing the same as you looking for EOY OF but was searching for 6 months and nothing at a good price came around. I think there is a big market for the EOY units so that may be why I haven't come across many of them.

To me a good price is $11k all-in and a great price is $10k or less and I just haven't seen anything in that range for some time. I know a few on TUG have done even better recently on some OVs but I really think those are one-offs and you'd be lucky to find an OF below $10k

I already have a 2BD OF EOY that I secured 5 years ago for a tad under $9k all-in and (2) 2BD OVs at $1k and $1.5k less also 5 or so years ago. Unfortunately I've not seen this pricing in the time I've been tracking them so the pricing for MOCs have differently been maintained and even risen it appears.

Came across the 2BD OF float on ebay from reputable seller and couldn't pass it up. I had to find the extra money but did what I always do and got a 15 month 0% balance transfer deal for the extra $10k. I paid a 2% fee for the balance transfer so that added the $200 but it was well worth it to secure this excellent week.

So good luck finding a good EOY but if you see a good annual I'd consider that as well because it brings much more value than EOY if you can get one at a good price.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Had there been an EOY 2BR OF unit available for under $11k when I was looking, I'd have jumped on it. That said, I'm completely comfortable with the $8300 that I did pay for my EOY 2BR OV unit.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Do we know if there is a fixed subset of rooms/weeks that are EOY units, eg., 28 2BR OF in Lanai @ 28. How many are EOY.
X number must be designated EY vs EOY and I assume that status would follow the room just to make all the reservations balance. Makes a 1BR EOY OF reservation even harder to get.

Unit numbers per view
Code:
Molokai Lanai
1BR OV | 81 | 11
1BR OF | 13 | 5
2BR OV | 11 | 22
2BR OF | 20 | 28

Still trying to find that nice graphic showing the OF rooms, buried in one of the recent threads. ;-)

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
Unit numbers per view
Code:
Molokai Lanai Maui
1BR OV | 81 | 11 | 7
1BR OF | 13 | 5
2BR OV | 11 | 22 | 11
2BR OF | 20 | 28

Still trying to find that nice graphic showing the OF rooms, buried in one of the recent threads. ;-)

I added the Maui wing OVs to your table. Are you looking for one of the graphics here?

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do we know if there is a fixed subset of rooms/weeks that are EOY units, eg., 28 2BR OF in Lanai @ 28. How many are EOY.
X number must be designated EY vs EOY and I assume that status would follow the room just to make all the reservations balance. Makes a 1BR EOY OF reservation even harder to get.

Unit numbers per view
Code:
Molokai Lanai Maui
1BR OV | 81 | 11 | 7
1BR OF | 13 | 5
2BR OV | 11 | 22 | 11
2BR OF | 20 | 28
I would love to know this, as well, though my assumption is that none of the rooms have any sort of designation like 'Annual', 'EOY - Even', 'EOY - Odd', etc.