• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for advice on walking away from a WVR/ Club Wyndham timeshare

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ask him if he is VIP gold or silver?. That gives the ownership a great deal more value if any family member can be added to the deed. Do you have any aunts, uncles, cousins that might be interested in it? He wouldn't be selling it to them just adding family to the deed giving them rights of survivorship.

<snip).

I'm guessing that his loan is for the 400,000 Wyndham points. Are the PIC contracts paid for and where are they at? Does $2700 include the maintenance fees on his PIC contracts. They are paid to the individual resorts and wouldn't be included in his Wyndham fees except for the annual fee to keep them in the PIC program. Taking them out of the PIC program might take him out of the VIP program but would reduce his Wyndham maintenance fees. You need to know what the individual maintenance fees are on each of the three because they can get sold or given away separately and need not be tied to the Wyndham deal. If either of the PIC resorts are in RCI it might be worth it for you or your sister to keep the cheapest one. You can get some really cheap nice vacations through RCI.
<snip>
Also make sure you find out what options, if any, are open to him through Ovations for the Wyndham deed.

Jan's question about the PICs are important. With the PIC contracts transfer and kept to KEEP GOLD VIP ... you would have a great level for family vacations. What their MFs for those 2 timeshares, would increase the YEARLY MFs costs in addition to the Wyndham ownership.

Also ... find the DATE of those PIC contracts conversions ... the PIC program CHANGED a few years ago .. to be only for a LIMITED time option. Another "taste" or "hook" to a higher level setting up the owner to BUY more direct Wyndham points.

If your family is limited on paying for MFs ... now is the time to DUMP (refuse inheriting those 2 PIC weeks ownership).

400K in Wyndham points is still SILVER VIP ... 25% discount of reservations BOOKED inside of 60 days with free unit upgrade at 30 days out from checkin if available.. if YOU via the online system 'upgrade button. GOLD offers 35% discount and at 45 days out from checkin, free upgrade if available.

There are other pluses over GOLD verses SILVER.. but the real questions iare, can you pay the 2 weeks which are not included with Wyndham MFs ? AND do you truly NEED 700K of Wyndham points to use each year?

Additionally, you should look at whether you would use the PIC weeks over the Wyndham points ... and decide to walk away from Wyndham ponts but take 1 or both PIC weeks?

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am active duty military and I've been able to make use of my Wyndham. I have even made use of 570k+ annual points, and sometimes they are not quite enough.

I am a Silver VIP, but if your Dad has Gold, that is pretty nice. Being military, you may not always be able to plan, so you'll have to settle for the lesser demand resorts. But the 35% discount works really well for those short-notice vacations.

659k points may be too much for your family or your sister's, but between the two families it could be just right.

Bottom line: if it were me in your shoes, I'd try to see how to make it work first, rather than to see how to get rid of it first. It is a mindset, but your point of departure often shapes your perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
In fact, I just booked a Smugglers Notch ski week just 16 days from check in. Got an upgrade to a 3BR for 75% of the cost of a 2BR. It will cost me the equivalent of less than $125/night in maintenance fees. For a 3BR that fits 10 people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm VIP Platinum and acquired over an additional million points on the secondary market, and haven't paid maintenance fees out of pocket in many years. We travel 3 to 4 months during the winter and several trips in the Spring and Fall, mostly at have points because of our VIP status. This makes for very cheap lodging at some very nice resorts and a lot of points left over. I do this by renting out reservations from my remaining points. If your dad does have a VIP ownership don't throw it away until you understand what you have. There are companies out there that will take your membership and rent it for you. I handle my own rentals so I don't know what percentage they charge, but what's left over should at least pay the bills and put some money in your pocket. This maybe something to look into or maybe a TUG member can connect you to someone or even handle it for you until you understand what you have and its value. Once you get through the learning curve you'll understand what I'm talking about.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I reached out to a high level Wyndham executive that I believe can help the op. And then asked the op (in a private message) to provide me his contact info so I could pass it on to that executive

No response

boobosa

Reaction score
I'm VIP Platinum and acquired over an additional million points on the secondary market, and haven't paid maintenance fees out of pocket in many years. We travel 3 to 4 months during the winter and several trips in the Spring and Fall, mostly at have points because of our VIP status. This makes for very cheap lodging at some very nice resorts and a lot of points left over. I do this by renting out reservations from my remaining points. If your dad does have a VIP ownership don't throw it away until you understand what you have. There are companies out there that will take your membership and rent it for you. I handle my own rentals so I don't know what percentage they charge, but what's left over should at least pay the bills and put some money in your pocket. This maybe something to look into or maybe a TUG member can connect you to someone or even handle it for you until you understand what you have and its value. Once you get through the learning curve you'll understand what I'm talking about.

How do you handle your own rentals? VRBO? I may have too many points this year and I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use craigslist and a website to handle our rentals. Business has been good to the point I was having to update my website constantly so I stopped linking my Craigslist posts to the website. Hope that helps. . .

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also use Craig's list to advertise

Finding the guy to rent your reservation is important but first you have to make the right reservation

I have had the best success reserving certain high demand event weekends 10 months or 13 months in advance and then advertising a rate slightly less than the competition

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also use Craig's list to advertise

Finding the guy to rent your reservation is important but first you have to make the right reservation

I have had the best success reserving certain high demand event weekends 10 months or 13 months in advance and then advertising a rate slightly less than the competition

That is key, make the rental reservations during high demand timeframes and/or at a high demand locations. That will maximize profits. We usually have our maintenance paid for the year by the end of March. That's due do to our Daytona 500 and Daytona Bike Week rentals. Everything after March is pure profit. It also allows us to travel 4 to 5 months out of the year free.

lcml11

Reaction score
You might want to get with Wyndham and see if they would take them back and under what terms.