• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Letting Resort Rent Your Week?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi, We are going to let two of our timeshare resorts rent out our weeks in 2017. I have rented weeks myself, but not sure if I would be able to rent these. Have any of you done this? Do they make every effort to rent your weeks? We were going to use them ourselves but DH has a back injury so we are going to have the management rent the weeks for us.
Any input good or bad is appreciated.
Silentg

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I have never understood what prevents timeshare resorts from renting out their own inventory (foreclosed weeks, delinquent weeks, unsold weeks, etc.) before they get round to renting out weeks on behalf of individual timeshare owners. In fact, I would expect resorts with rental programs to turn to owner's rental weeks only after seeing to the resort's own rental weeks.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I tried letting Fitzpatrick Castle rent for us but all they offered was a 2 day rental.

I suggest you pay the fee and list on Redweek as well as in the TUG marketplace.

Whoever rents first gets it.

Hope DH feels better.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't know where/what you own but Marriott's policy is that they're free to pick and choose which Weeks they'll accept in their rental program. They make it easy, you just contact Owner Services and ask if they want to rent your Week. They'll let you know within a few days whether they want it or not and if so, how much they'll give you for it. Payment will be on its way within a few days of sending in the required paperwork. Their program is definitely convenient but it's not nearly as beneficial for owners as it used to be - it's pretty much guaranteed that if you have something worth renting you'll get much more for it on the established external rental markets than from Marriott.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to let two of our timeshare resorts rent out our weeks in 2017. I have rented weeks myself, but not sure if I would be able to rent these. Have any of you done this? Do they make every effort to rent your weeks? We were going to use them ourselves but DH has a back injury so we are going to have the management rent the weeks for us.
Any input good or bad is appreciated.

I can't speak to the practices of any of the "chains", but will cite my own personal experience and first hand observations at a few different "independent" timeshare facilities where we own which will, if requested, attempt to rent out owners' interval(s) for them:

1. They may post the available unit / week rental on the management company web site (along with other HOA-owned weeks) and maybe also in the resort newsletter if they have sufficient advance notice, but that's about it --- no other active advertising or effort is initiated. Bigger management companies (e.g., VRI) will indicate such units /weeks as available for rent within their internal data base, but will not openly post them anywhere (including on their own web site).

2. "House" rental prices are generally consistent and non-negotiable and are usually 30-40% higher than a comparable rental offered by a private rental of the exact same unit / week without any middleman involvement. That fact alone may decrease your odds for success if using the resort as your "rental agent".
The "house" is of course going to take a 30 to 40% commission from the gross rental; they are certainly not handling owner rentals as an act of benevolence.
They obviously cannot and will not "guarantee" that they will actually be successful in in renting out your interval(s).

3. The "good" news is that the house can rent out intervals on a nightly basis, if necessary (usually with a 2 night minimum) unless the owner has indicated in advance that they will accept only "full week" rental of their interval. Also, in "house-conducted" rentals, the house is fully and solely responsible for the actions and / or damages of tenants renting through them, whereas in a private (direct-by-owner) rental, that interval owner is ultimately responsible for their tenant.

To each their own, but it may be worth the time, effort and minimal expense to advertise and attempt to rent out your own interval(s) --- without the resort.
You can advertise on TUG, RedWeek (if already a paid RW member) and Craigslist for a total collective cost of under thirty dollars. That being said however, if it's a low demand week and / or location, that low demand situation won't be magically improved, regardless of who handles the rental. In any event, good luck!

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of commission do they take out? When we had a Wyndham resort they wanted 40%. SPM is management of another we owned and they take 30%.

Imagine any contract will say no guarantees of rental. On top of 30% SPM issued us a 1099 for the total amount, included their commission/fees to claim on our taxes. To get tax credit needed to fill out another tax form, but the turbo tax we used didn't offer the other form. Was not worth it to me for a one week rental. After that we just rented it ourselves.