TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Lava Viewing Big Island

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by puppymommo, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:40 AM.

1. puppymommo

puppymommo TUG Member

Hi! I am going to the Big Island in a few months and am interested in viewing an active lava flow, preferably flowing into the ocean. I have done a lot of research on line but most of what I have found involves quite a bit of strenuous hiking. Does anyone know of a tour or a viewing site that involves less hiking? (I'm thinking 2-3 miles each way.)

2. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVR Falls, GPR Seapointe, HGVC Lagoon, HGVC King's Land.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:01 PM
  3. Kapolei

Kapolei Guest

When I did the boat ride, we passed the hikers. They were like a mile away. Our boat pulled right up to the lava. Don't try to save a few bucks here. Go with the top rated guy.

4. ecwinch

ecwinch TUG Member

The boat tour is the best option if it is in your budget. But have a backup plan, as the boat tours cancel all the time due to sea conditions.

There are tours that can cut the hike in half. They can go up to the park boundary using small vans.

A whole popup industry has started at the parking area for the trailhead offering bike rentals. That is the route we took - it's still a workout, but much easier trip back. I think one vendor was offering to shuttle bike riders out to the halfway part for an extra fee.

5. melissy123

melissy123 TUG Member

DH and friends did the "doors-off" helicopter tour, about $250 per person. They had a blast.

6. AlohaKauai

AlohaKauai Guest

DW and I went over to the Big Island a few weeks ago to see the lava into the ocean. We used Moku Nui Lava Boat Tours (http://mnlavatour.com/) and cannot recommend them enough. The boat only holds 6 people. We saw the other lava boat mentioned above while were were out there any they were packed in like sardines. The captain backed us up to the area where the lava was flowing into the water and we had a fabulous unobstructed view of the lava. The captain indicated that the "fire hose" had tapered off a little bit due to surface flows drawing away some of the lava, but we thought it was still pretty spectacular. It was definitely an experience of a lifetime for us and was worth every penny. We'd visited Kilauea in the past and had seen lava in the caldera, but we had never seen the water entry. Some friends from the Big Island have done the bike ride out and recommended that highly, but we didn't have time to do that as well this time.