• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

late July weather in Hilton Head--how bearable for a NorCal girl??

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled to go to Hilton Head Island July 23-30 (staying at Marriott SurfWatch) and I see that the forecast predicts mid-90s. Is there an ocean breeze? Is it tolerable to do stuff outside during the day or do people mostly stay indoors when it's that hot? It's not too late for us to do a retrade so wanted to see what folks familiar with that area think! thanks so much!

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are scheduled to go to Hilton Head Island July 23-30 (staying at Marriott SurfWatch) and I see that the forecast predicts mid-90s. Is there an ocean breeze? Is it tolerable to do stuff outside during the day or do people mostly stay indoors when it's that hot? It's not too late for us to do a retrade so wanted to see what folks familiar with that area think! thanks so much!
I am interested in seeing the answers to your question. We will be there next summer for the first time.

I can say that a fellow TUGger described their visit to us to HHI in summer one year and it sounded something like this (below). Since we like to be in the water or around the water a lot, we are hoping it won't be that big a deal.

enhanced-buzz-wide-27298-1384793448-20.jpg

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
We now live in Juno Beach in South Florida.
It is 90 most days and it is hot but not nearly as bad as when we lived on Ocala Florida or when we visited Orlando in the summer.
There is indeed a breeze almost all of the time and we are amazed at how it can be quite bearable right on the beach and if you go a block or two away the heat becomes oppressive.
I would make sure that you drink a lot of water, be careful about the amount of alcohol you drink and try to stay in the shade for part of the day.
Surfwatch is a lovely resort and they have a little movie theatre that you might want to use in the heat of the day if the movies interest you.

Enjoy
Pam

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hilton Head Island, SC
3:45 PM EDT on July 15, 2016 (GMT -0400)

Elev 9 ft 32.19 °N, 80.70 °W | Updated 37 min ago

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
91 °F
Feels Like 108 °F
N2

Wind from WNW
Gusts 5.0 mph
Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.

The OP knows that I vote against HHI in the summer. I think HHI is so much more than the beach or being in the pool and to me (who doesn't do well in the hot and even worse in the heat and humidity) you would be missing out. If it were a drive to location even up to 8-10 hr drive, I would say give it a shot and if you don't like it because of the heat, try it again in the spring or fall. With a LM flight for 4 taking 7-10 hrs of travel time plus $600+ airfare per person, I would say pass unless you think you will never get a chance to come again or you won't be able to find another exchange if you cancel this one.

The pools are great, the beach is quite nice, the resort is very nice. If you keep your non resort activities to only ones directly on the ocean, you will survive but your enjoyment will be directly related to how well you tolerate heat indexes over 100 with fairly high humidity. I've felt worse but to me it's the same as windchill of -20 in the winter vs -80. I still have no desire to experience either.

Update at 4:00pm
93 °F
Feels Like 114 °F

If you notice, the people saying it isn't bad are the people who live in FL and SC year round. The OP 's home weather today:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
as of 1:25 pm PDT
63°
PARTLY CLOUDY
feels like 62°
H 63° / L 54°

Last edited:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
It's been hotter than normal this year but the humidity feels like it's been lower. It's summer and beach weather. It's 95 with humidity of 56%. Says it feels like 110. Doesn't feel that bad to me.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm formerly a Nor Cal girl (grew up in So Cal and now live in New Mexico) and I really don't do humidity. What I encountered in Florida during August one year about did me in. Just didn't feel like doing much of anything. About the only place I can handle the humidity is Hawaii, but it doesn't get all that hot there.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks so much everyone. the other places where we could retrade easily don't excite me because we have either been there too many times (LA, bay area, Newport Beach) or just aren't as fun in the summer with young kids (vail for example). we just got back from hawaii so probably don't want to go back there again 2 weeks later. if we don't find a good II retrade, would you guys suggest we still go or just retrade this unit for a vacation for later in the year and just go somewhere without using this II retrade?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
i meant retrade this unit for a vacation for later in the year and just go somewhere without using this II retrade.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I haven't been to Hilton Head, but I am from N. CA, and I have been to Arkansas and Orlando in the summer. I found the humidity to be unbearable, to the point where I dumped my Orlando timeshare after going to Orlando once...

We do fine in Hawaii, because we always stay right on the ocean where there is almost always a breeze.

Is Marriott Surf Watch right on the ocean and is their usually a breeze? That would be the key question for me.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Hilton Head, but I am from N. CA, and I have been to Arkansas and Orlando in the summer. I found the humidity to be unbearable, to the point where I dumped my Orlando timeshare after going to Orlando once...

We do fine in Hawaii, because we always stay right on the ocean where there is almost always a breeze.

Is Marriott Surf Watch right on the ocean and is their usually a breeze? That would be the key question for me.
i believe that it is.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
i believe that it is.

That might be fine if you plan on spending all of your time at the resort. But look at what else you might want to do while you're there. If it's too hot and humid you may end up just staying at the resort. And depending on how nice it is, that might not be a bad thing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
That might be fine if you plan on spending all of your time at the resort. But look at what else you might want to do while you're there. If it's too hot and humid you may end up just staying at the resort. And depending on how nice it is, that might not be a bad thing.

Kind of the same as Hawaii: If it's humid, stay in the AC or at the pool, or go to the beach. But if the resort itself is hot all the time, that is a deal killer for me.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're at the Beach

There's almost always a breeze at the ocean...not always much inland. But spending time at the beach (including bike riding, etc) or the pool.....with kids this is all they practically want to do anyway!

If you have time or energy go to Hunting Island for the day & bring a picnic lunch and your walking shoes.

Judy

We are from the Bay Area (resettled in South Carolina)......love Hilton Head and our coastal islands and we go every summer. This year however we're headed to the gulf coast of Florida in August.....LOL, talk about humid!!! - I plan to stay in the water.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Kind of the same as Hawaii: If it's humid, stay in the AC or at the pool, or go to the beach. But if the resort itself is hot all the time, that is a deal killer for me.

But, as I said before, we can tolerate Hawaii because the temps don't get a high. If it's 75 - 80 with humidity it's bearable, vs 90 and up with humidity. However, we have been on the islands during the summer when it's been warmer than usual and we ended up being pretty lazy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
But, as I said before, we can tolerate Hawaii because the temps don't get a high. If it's 75 - 80 with humidity it's bearable, vs 90 and up with humidity. However, we have been on the islands during the summer when it's been warmer than usual and we ended up being pretty lazy.

Yeah - it definitely depends on how active they want to be, and if they are going to be in-land doing activities, or if they are happy with beach/ocean/pool activities.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
If you cannot deal with heat and humidity you should probably retrade elsewhere. It has been an above average summer so far! We live in NC but spend the last two weeks every year at Marriotts OceanWatch in MB. Even being five hours from HHI I can imagine the heat and humidity down there right now. It was 97 with a heat index of 106 here yesterday! While you do get a breeze from the ocean it's still hot, hot, hot. The daytime temps for HHI from tomorrow through July 24th are suppose to be 91, 91, 90, 93, 95, 94, 97 & 98! Then it really gets ugly starting the last week of July into basically the whole month of August! Welcome to the South. HHI is wonderful in April/May timeframe or Oct/Nov provided the Hurricanes stay away

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I cant imagine being tired of going to Newport Coast, we love it so much we moved here, go to the beach three times a week and it never gets hot or old. I'd take that trade any time, so many things for kids to enjoy here.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been highs in the mid-to-upper 90s, lows in the upper 70s, with 90% humidity in the Carolinas for the past week. If you stay in the shade, in the water (pool or ocean,) or directly on the beach between 10 am and 6 pm, you should be fine. Even a few hundred feet off the beach can be the difference between pleasant and dear-God-it-is-hotter-than-the-surface-of-the-sun.

Plan any land-based island explores for early evening and/ or early morning, and have a good time.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is hotter than hell in Hilton Head! This is from a Half Moon Bay, California girl who owns at Barony Beach. I always reserve July 4th week and love it there.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine being tired of going to Newport Coast, we love it so much we moved here, go to the beach three times a week and it never gets hot or old. I'd take that trade any time, so many things for kids to enjoy here.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk
I grew up in that area and we do own newport coast villas so we come there every summer. also after hawaii the beach itself whether in newport or laguna won't compare as it's not swimmable. i think my recent trip to hawaii spoiled all my vacations for the next few months :)

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is hotter than hell in Hilton Head! This is from a Half Moon Bay, California girl who owns at Barony Beach. I always reserve July 4th week and love it there.
is it much cooler in Hilton Head over 4th of July?

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks so much everyone. scouring II for a retrade!

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love HH in the summer with Surfwatch our favorite resort. Yes, hot and humid but we spend most of the time at the beach and pools during the day. Dinner, mini golf and walking around Shelter Cove in the evening and/or activities at SW.

My advice, if you like the beach and pools, dont retrade. Having been to Barony and Grand Ocean as well, Surfwatch is our favorite. Awesome resort.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am just curious for those that say come and regularly visit in the summer, and don't have their home state listed on their profile, what state are they coming from, do they drive and about how long is the trip for them to get to HHI for the week?

As I said earlier if the OP was within a 10 hour or less drive I would say, its hot and humid and you may be disappointed and not like HHI in the summer (if so give it a chance in a different season another time) but a 3 br Surfwatch in July is a great trade and worth the risk.

On the other hand a 7+ hour $2200+ flights for the family plus rental car and then drive from Charleston, Savannah, or Jacksonville to experience HHI in summer for the first time when you are not used to that kind of temperature plus humidity is a different story and I would be much more hesitant to recommend making that trip.

On my last summer trip, two years ago, my mother rarely made it past the balcony during the day and slept and felt horrible for most of her trip to HHI. The beach was tolerable even when not in the water but the pools had very little breeze and unless in the water it was unbearable for her and the walk back to the unit from the adjacent pool took everything out of her. I wasn't so bad on my first summer trip but did feel like I missed a lot being tied to the resort during the day and not wanting to venture forth until after 5pm.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on Long Island, NY about 14-15 hour drive. We usually add at least a few days in another destination on the way to break up the drive. We are used to the summer heat and humidity so it doesnt bother us at all. We are also in our 40s with teenage kids who dont care how hot it is. :)